Be safe in egypt

Would like to share this with other expats living in Egypt. This is not an isolated incident but has happened to many and they are not reported including myself.

Dear Cairo Scholars,

I wanted to report an incident that happened to my friend yesterday night (around 8 pm): she took a cab from Garden City to go to Zamalek, and after a few minutes when she realized the taxi wasn't on the right track and was actually doing a loop, he stopped the car next to 6th October bridge in front on the Mariott. He threatened her with a knife, forced her to give her bag, phone, jewellery. He had locked the car so she couldn't escape, and the back windows were tinted so no one could see her from outside. Each time she tried to escape he was threatening her with a knife not to do so. She finally managed to escape.

We helped her to file a complaint at the police station.
Thought it was worth reporting as it happened in central Cairo, not so late. The driver was in his 40's and it was a white taxi.

Leila
Like ·  · Unfollow Post · Share · Tuesday at 10:

Sorry to hear that, so the dangerous taxi driver do really exist!
I thought the hotel manager just Exaggerate it to make my take the hotel'safe'  and expansive taxi.
I suggest  to all the expats that prepare some fake dollars at all time!

yes, they exist and much more. 

I like your idea of the fake dollars. hahahah. 

Regards

too bad it started happening here ..my advice that I always follow my self.. always note down the taxi number before you wave your hand just in case..it would be lot easier to catch the guy if you have some way of tracking him down for police

i heard many incidents as well that taxis are  not safe to ride specially at night...i agree with alimirza's idea to note down first  the taxi's plate number before riding in so if anything happens it is easy to track down the taxi driver.
   salam to all :)

Aysha.young wrote:

Would like to share this with other expats living in Egypt. This is not an isolated incident but has happened to many and they are not reported including myself.

Dear Cairo Scholars,

I wanted to report an incident that happened to my friend yesterday night (around 8 pm): she took a cab from Garden City to go to Zamalek, and after a few minutes when she realized the taxi wasn't on the right track and was actually doing a loop, he stopped the car next to 6th October bridge in front on the Mariott. He threatened her with a knife, forced her to give her bag, phone, jewellery. He had locked the car so she couldn't escape, and the back windows were tinted so no one could see her from outside. Each time she tried to escape he was threatening her with a knife not to do so. She finally managed to escape.

We helped her to file a complaint at the police station.
Thought it was worth reporting as it happened in central Cairo, not so late. The driver was in his 40's and it was a white taxi.

Leila
Like ·  · Unfollow Post · Share · Tuesday at 10:

Hi,
For some ideas about how to stay safe in Egypt "and anywhere else", I suggest you to follow the link below "it's another discussion on this site of a related topic". Many useful security advices were provided before.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=197602

Cheers,
MO.

After my own disturbing incident yeaterday and after reading this now, I am very angry and sad..I think  we must try to get awareness out there..share reliable taxi numbers etc...
Ladies...just an idea, I had a very bad incident last year with a taxi driver, he went down a deserted ally and was gripping my leg so I couldnt get out..I thought fast and turned my camera on phone on, aimed it towards him and the flash went off. (I did not get a pic of him, but he didnt know that) it startled him enough to allow me to get away....please when in taxi, always have your phone in had and maybe this will help you out of a bad situation also...just passing it along and hoping you never have to use it.

Sorry for that. And question: did you all ladies have a handbag when you went in the taxi? And so far no male report any simular accident.

Yes, of course I have bag, and sometimes laptop as I go to and from work.

i don't believe this story

?????????????????

@ sandrasnith -there are some people like the one above - who don't belive that such things go on Egypt - and if they do it is an American conspiracy theory!! Or stories dreamt up by individuals / media to give Egypt a bad name.
Or the worst kind - those that think yoiu brought this on yourself - becuase you MUST have encouraged the guy or be wearing something inappropriate!!

It's very common!

the same thing happened to me last here, on my way to the airport, but it's a long story...:| he also had a knife,... but I wasn't realy worried about that, I didn't want to miss my flight home:D.
And egyptians are all talk anyway:(.
long story short we went back home I gave some money, and took another cab, the driver was older and me on the back seat with all my bags!:lol:

Hi Biffy..  Yes i know what you mean... I was amazed at that earlier comment and couldn't find the words to reply!!!!! hahaha!

I would never disregard anything that is said or happens in any Country i always keep and open mind.

I know for a fact that kind of thing goes on in Egypt as does in lots of other Countries. So why that person chose not to believe what these people are saying beggars belief.

It is a shame and a great worry that these FEW taxi drivers choose to hold people to ransom in order to gain money.

When i move over to Hurghada in a few weeks time i for one will never ride in a taxi for these reasons alone. 

Everyone i speak to loves egypt and it is just a minority of egyptians that choose to behave in that way.  The trouble is in some cases it is enough to put some people off visiting in the future.

Something seriously needs to be done about this kind of behaviour.  I believe alot of incidents go unreported to the police in the belief that the crimes go ignored.  Pity!!!

Sorry guys, i still don't believe those story because i did not meet any of them personally also no body of my family or my friends met personally. i see all those story only in media or internet sites. there is many many expats in egypt, if i were of them and egypt is unsafe, i would go home immediatly but they still here, it means that egypt is safe, does it make sense? i'm sure that all epats in egypt believe that egypt is more and more safe than many places they knew befor.
Thansk

Egypt probably is alot safer than most other Countries. these people are only expressing a concern at a minority of taxi drivers that are chancers trying to extort money by means of fear.

And are just warning others to be on there guard.

And why would you expect to meet these victims of crime anyway.

You should be prepared to give these people the benefit of the doubt before making assumptions.

It isn't safe.

You only have to look at the alerts that come out of the embassies for expats.

Also I know people who have persoanlly been hijacked and had guns fired at them since the revolution.
And no Sandra it isn't safer than most other countries - and the worse thing about it is that there are no police (like the other countries ) to respond.

ALso Just because you don't know someone who it happened to - doesn't mean it didn't / doesn't happen!!  Thats a crazy way to behave really.

Egypt is not what it was - is not as safe as it was  -  I have been coming to Egypt since I got married (to an Egyptian by the way) and there are things I used to do that I wouldn't dream of doing now.
Why are expats still here - you could ask that about any country in the world - money for alot is a deciding factor, a company posting is another.
But also alot of expats I know have changed their habits - taking more precautions - even to the extent of sending their families home whilst they work out the rest of their contract / assignment, and many are leaving talk to most expats and they will tell you there aren't as many here as before.

Yes Biffy as you know my son-in-law is Egyptian and it is he that has told me never to ride in a taxi etc etc.. he worries about his wife ( my daughter ) constantly.. they live in Hurghada. I personally haven't had any crime committed against me but, i have heard about others.  Also the kind of things, scams etc that i have been warned about by my son-in-law.

You are right, in other Countries we do have the police and they do act on information received about crimes committed.  Unlike Egypt. 

I have also had to abandon any ideas of buying a property in Hurghada from the UK because of unscrupulous supposedly lawyers, real estate people taking your money only to find you haven't bought a property at all " Dreadful "  thankfully i did my research first and never got as far as handing money over.
But i know a few people that have lost thousands of english pounds.

ahmadm wrote:

i don't believe this story

I guess you are not living in Cairo... Maybe in a compound with private security with your private driver. And maybe you never talk to people riding buses or taxis. In this case - I wouldnt believe, too

For me I can say - my handbag was robbed from me by a taxidriver passing by about a year ago. More or less the same happened to 3 people I personally know. Friend of mine was robbed in the street by three young guys. My sister in law was cheated in buying a flat and the same happened to herneighbor. Three persons Ipersonally know got their cars stolen. Not mentioning countless stolen mobiles...
Of all these cases only the cars were returned. All the other so called investigations just  did not show any result...

Sure Cairo is a looooot unsafer nowadays! But relocating with all the family, starting a whole new life somewhere else, do you think its that easy? But maaaaany have left already and a lot more are still planning to leave...

Ahmadm, just closing your eyes and blaming the expats does not change the situation of your country! Just keep on doing so and you will see the last expat leaving from here...

The irony of it is.. Egypt is dependent on tourism, foreigners bring work to the locals. People like myself will be buying property. Foreigners are renting there.

If crime continues to persist, the foreigners decide not to holiday there anymore and people have already said on here most are returning  to their native country, i can only assume what effect it would have on the economy in egypt.

These people that decide to steal, rob and scam foreigners.. we in the UK have a saying  " Don't bite the hand that feeds you "

ahmadm wrote:

Sorry guys, i still don't believe those story because i did not meet any of them personally also no body of my family or my friends met personally. i see all those story only in media or internet sites. there is many many expats in egypt, if i were of them and egypt is unsafe, i would go home immediatly but they still here, it means that egypt is safe, does it make sense? i'm sure that all epats in egypt believe that egypt is more and more safe than many places they knew befor.
Thansk

I totally understand and give ahmedm an excuse for his way of thinking as I am Egyptian.   But on the other hand I do not agree with him, specially these days where the situation in Egypt in some places and during certain times of the day is highly unsafe and the security is somehow lost.

Guys let me tell you about it:

- First:  many “not most” of Egyptian men “including my own brother” they do not believe the incident unless they see it by their own eyes this is true and no Egyptian guy can deny it.

- Second:   many of Egyptian guys they do not believe in security instructions during their normal life's circumstances “including my own brother”.
They think that such instructions are complicating their lives. Also they think they are brave enough “I do not deny it”  to handle every difficult situation by their own hands even they don't have the necessary experience.  This is something I disagree with completely. 

Quick example, I have a quite long experience about security and self-defense “I am also certified” which I gained during my stay in Canada. When I came back last October I tried to encourage my brother  and some of my friends to practice “for free and any time” but they started either to make fun (that there is no need for it/don't worry we can handle it) or completely avoid it.

- Third:  most of such taxi drivers, bullies, thieves are selective in the first place.
What I mean is that; they will target ladies first. More specific, they will focus on foreigner ladies and if not available they will go for Egyptian ladies (also put in mind that Egyptian ladies they know their tricks). This is why such incidents are more popular with expat ladies.

- Fourth:  Such incidents also happen with Egyptian ladies but it can be considered minor. The first and foremost reason for  that is:  many of Egyptian guys (Fathers/ husbands/brothers) they don't allow their women to go out without asking (where do you go/why do go /with whom/how do you go/ when are you coming back) such questions “even they are asked by nature” but are considered security and this is why such incidents are not that popular with Egyptian women.   Ahmedh, this is why no such incident happened to one of your  beloved ladies.

- Fifth:  Attackers they do not dare to attack Egyptian guys unless they are more than 2 and also carrying weapons.  This is reason is also for you ahmed and, it can tell why no beloved guys in your family didn't face such situation.

Another quick example:  my cousin he was a very talented “goalkeeper” and one night after training he was coming back home and he was attacked by three guys carrying very thin wooden sticks and they broke his right arm bones.  long-story-short It was very serious accident and he hand three surgeries and his arm never came back and he quite the sport he likes which was supposed to have a very promising future.

My dear ahmedm,
If you look from different point of view you will find that all our Expat friends are here in Egypt either to work or to live because they love our country and no body forced them to move here.  At the same time  we all know “Egyptian and Expats” that our country was very safe but the situation has changed for somehow for now. We have to admit it, in order to be able to fix it.

Ahmedh,
also you have to notice that this site is for Expats so they post their "own" different experience to learn from each other. They post both good and bad experience.
Therefore, as they worry now a days about their safty in Egypt, you will find many posts about such topic. This doesn't mean that they are faking them on purpose.  Maybe some of this situations are hard to believe "for us as Egyptians" but at the same time it is not a reason to for us to refuse. In different words, denying such situations not of any help for us "Egyptians".

Finally, I wanna tell you that all over the world Egyptians are well known that they are nice, kind, helpful but also some new manners popped up in our community and this is affecting us all. We need to admit that to be able to counter it. 

One last thing ahmedh, please be alert and take such incidents in consideration specially now a days, because you cannot tell from where the back-stab is coming.

Stay safe all.
Cheers,
MO.

Hi Mo.   What a breath of fresh air.. for an egyptian to admit to such happenings all over egypt.

If you read my other posts, you will see that i stated we also have bad people do such things also in the UK but the Police/security deal harshly with these people .. they are punished. It never happens with taxi drivers because the UK have security in place.

You pointed out also that this is an expat forum for all to write there experiences etc.. hence the WARNINGS of the taxi drivers.  That's all it was to us foreigners/expats " beware of taxi drivers holding us to ransom for money "

I think Ahmadm missed the point.. we are not criticising Egypt or all Egyptian men.. we are just sending out a warning to each other.

Regards,
Sandra

sandrasmith wrote:

The irony of it is.. Egypt is dependent on tourism, foreigners bring work to the locals. People like myself will be buying property. Foreigners are renting there.

If crime continues to persist, the foreigners decide not to holiday there anymore and people have already said on here most are returning  to their native country, i can only assume what effect it would have on the economy in egypt.

These people that decide to steal, rob and scam foreigners.. we in the UK have a saying  " Don't bite the hand that feeds you "

Sandrasmith,
I agree compeletly with your first two paragraphs.
However, I totally disagree with that old UK saying that you mentioned.

I believe that you have to reconsider such saying, as it is not applicable at all on this situation.

Without getting into the details, Foringers are here in Egypt for mutual benefits.

But if you insist on that saying, we can modify it as "both are feeding each other with their hands".

Cheers,
MO.

Mo, I don't think you understand the Quote!

Yes we foreigners do benefit from your beautiful Country and the lot's of beautiful and nice people in it.. that is why i am coming to live their myself!

The saying is a reference to the people stealing from others.
for example:  if you steal from someone that is kind to you there are consequences ( that person will not be kind to you again)

When you say " we can feed each other with both hands"  I don't understand!!!!!

These mainly foreign women that have been robbed etc.. what have they done to deserve such bad behaviour!

sandrasmith wrote:

Mo, I don't think you understand the Quote!

Yes we foreigners do benefit from your beautiful Country and the lot's of beautiful and nice people in it.. that is why i am coming to live their myself!

The saying is a reference to the people stealing from others.
for example:  if you steal from someone that is kind to you there are consequences ( that person will not be kind to you again)

When you say " we can feed each other with both hands"  I don't understand!!!!!

These mainly foreign women that have been robbed etc.. what have they done to deserve such bad behaviour!

Hi Sandra,
Sorry for misunderstanding the quote and thank you for clearing the point.
I guess this misunderstanding happend becasue people here in Egypt use the same old saying but with the hard side of it.

I mean, someone might say "the exact saying" to another to with the purpose to emphasis/show-off that he made alot for him, or to tell that he was the reason for getting a good job, or gave money...etc.

I totaly argree that foreign women don't deserve such bad behaviour. Also to be honest, whenever I read or hear about such incident i really feel ashamed, but i have nothing to do about it.

Hi Mo.  I thought you missunderstood hahahahaha!!!

My daughter Lucy has the same problem with her husband, he being egyptian also missinterprets some of her words and meanings.

It has caused a lot of confusion and sometimes arguments lol.

Regards,
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
I guess this is common between Egyptian men. They think in Arabic "translate everything into arabic" also take words and meaning into their hearts and then traslate to english and this why sometimes responses are hard and discussions may cause confusion sometimes :).
This happened to me the first few months of my stay in Canada then i got used to think in English.

Hi Mo.. lol.. at the beginning when having conversations with Mando my daughters husband it was really frustrating for all of us because of the same reasons you have just pointed out.  Even now sometimes it gets very confusing and at times very funny.
But you couldn't wish for a more caring and thoughtful person.. he is really lovely.. like most of the people i have met in Hurghada.

Best wishes
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
I can really tell that many "not all" of Egyptian men they are like your son in law and have the same kind features. This is due to the way they are brought up.
They are tought (by their elders and through traditions) some main priciples such as: the meaning of family, the value of partner/spouse and finally caring about kids to the very far limits.

Sandrasmith;
Actually doubt is not a fact and it must be written as a warning alarm not as a phenomena. this kind of doubt is applied in all countries not only egypt.
( Egypt is dependent on tourism, foreigners bring work to the locals ), this is 100 % incorrect,Egypt is independant. we should be honest and clear, if u r correct  why don't u go home and give all these binifits for your country, friends and your family to build your country's economy.
Biffy;
If u please watch your words, i have a name, so, when u talk about people don't say " there are some people like the one above " . also how can u describe my behaviore as crazy when u wrote " Thats a crazy way to behave really" . Listen all of us have his own bad words but i will not use it because i respect my self. the reason of why expat in egypt as u mentioned is making money and or company position, although egypt gave u good money and better company position (favor) than your contries u r complaining of life in egypt exepressing unsatisfaction fellings, no thanks for egypt.
Caty in Cairo;
for sure i'm living in cairo same like all egyptians not as u described me with those nice wors" I guess you are not living in Cairo... Maybe in a compound with private security with your private driver. And maybe you never talk to people riding buses or taxis. In this case - I wouldnt believe, too". Please don't make fun of my words ( no moking or harnesses please ).
( Ahmadm, just closing your eyes and blaming the expats does not change the situation of your country! Just keep on doing so and you will see the last expat leaving from here...), Caty, u and me know that this will not ganna happen at all because egypt gave u and still giving money, position, respect, comforte and good life which u don't have in your home. so be wise enough and don't say just words for propaganda or show.

I think you need to re-read the posts.. you don't have the first idea of what you are talking about.  what do you mean go home? i am home ( In the UK )

And the UK doesn't have an economy problem. 

AND.. of course foreigners bring money and jobs to egypt  ( Tourism ) 

what planet are you on.

One simple comment..ISN'T THIS AN EXPAT SITE?
Sorry, Ahmed, but that comment is for your ignorance..there I SAID IT for everyone thinking it...open your eyes man.
I will not comment on this post again. Stay safe ladies and God bless...This is not a problem exclusive to Egypt either, however, it has to be ACKNOWLEDGED in order for it to change.
My apologiesm if I offended anyone else here. not my intention, however it's absolutly ridiculous to say it doesnt happen.

Thank you Krissyama.  I have already emphasised in previous posts that we are just pointing out warnings to others and to beware.

I have also pointed out that we are not discriminating against Egypt.. Of course other countries suffer the same kind of crime, But this is  an expat forum specifically designed to swap information ie: informing people to be safe.

For goodness sake what is the problem with some people

THE END

Guys,
This thread is going off-track. Please come down it is just some misunderstanding going on.

Sandra,
If you noticed it is the same misunderstanding as what we were discussing.

krissyama,
There is no need to applogize as no one was offended. It is clear "as i mentioned before that it is an Expat site" and everybody is telling/highlighting his experience good/bad for others to learn.
I also agree with you we have to admit of the problem in order to be able to solve it.

My dear Ahmadm,
As an Egyptian like you I can asure for you that, if you just read the thread from the beginning you will find that no one said or intended to say anything bad about Egypt.

In addition, most of the post containing nice words and some of them are addressing some existing problems.

Finally, as you defenitly understand that this site is for Expats, therefore, you will find many topics about problems in Egypt which they are facing already.
They are posting about/and discussing such problems among them to learn and get benefit of each other experiences.
Also I believe that one of the reasons for us on this site is to help them and clear for them whatever they are missing.

So my fellow Egyptian Ahmadm,
don't take anything in to your heart no harm is ment.

I guess that ENDs the confusion as Sandra just said :):)

Cheers,
MO.

MO2013 wrote:

Guys,
This thread is going off-track. Please come down it is just some misunderstanding going on.

Sandra,
If you noticed it is the same misunderstanding as what we were discussing.

krissyama,
There is no need to applogize as no one was offended. It is clear "as i mentioned before that it is an Expat site" and everybody is telling/highlighting his experience good/bad for others to learn.
I also agree with you we have to admit of the problem in order to be able to solve it.

My dear Ahmadm,
As an Egyptian like you I can asure for you that, if you just read the thread from the beginning you will find that no one said or intended to say anything bad about Egypt.

In addition, most of the post containing nice words and some of them are addressing some existing problems.

Finally, as you defenitly understand that this site is for Expats, therefore, you will find many topics about problems in Egypt which they are facing already.
They are posting about/and discussing such problems among them to learn and get benefit of each other experiences.
Also I believe that one of the reasons for us on this site is to help them and clear for them whatever they are missing.

So my fellow Egyptian Ahmadm,
don't take anything in to your heart no harm is ment.

I guess that ENDs the confusion as Sandra just said :):)

Cheers,
MO.

Well said Mo

MO2013 wrote:

- Fourth:  Such incidents also happen with Egyptian ladies but it can be considered minor. The first and foremost reason for  that is:  many of Egyptian guys (Fathers/ husbands/brothers) they don't allow their women to go out without asking (where do you go/why do go /with whom/how do you go/ when are you coming back) such questions “even they are asked by nature” but are considered security and this is why such incidents are not that popular with Egyptian women.   Ahmedh, this is why no such incident happened to one of your  beloved ladies.

- Fifth:  Attackers they do not dare to attack Egyptian guys unless they are more than 2 and also carrying weapons.  This is reason is also for you ahmed and, it can tell why no beloved guys in your family didn't face such situation.

MO.

Of all the incidents I have mentioned above I was the only foreigner involved. All the others where egyptian friends, family, colleagues and colleagues of my husband - male and female. Egyptian guys are not all so well built and dangerous as you might think, MO, there are also handicapped or elderly egyptians, easy targets for robbers.

And MO, just let me understand - how does it protect an egyptian lady from a robbery if her husband is asking her where she is going? ;)

Take care, boys 'n girls!

Caty

OMG - so now I am the stereotypical expat that you think I am!!
Trust me you couldn't be more wrong!!

And yes Egypt does need money from outside through such businesses as tourism - you only have to go to places such as Luxor and Aswan and the resorts to see this.  Have you been to Khan El Khalili recently - no business.

Egypt - I am sorry to say is not independent - you can't be with more than 80 million mouths to feed and a country that is basically arid.

Hi Caty,
I agree with you that handicapped or elderly Egyptians can be considered as targets for robbers "only" if they are left alone.
However, this is not the case most of the time in Egypt, as they are usually accompanied by someone. Actually, they are not the main cases that we were discussing, they are special cases.

Another point, I didn't mention that Egyptian guys are dangrous becasue they are strong or well built.
In fact, most of the attackers are of medium/small sizes to move faster. Their dangerous comes from the weapon they carry and their strategy of using such weapon, as no attacker attacks with bare hands.

Before I answer your last question I wanna point that we aren't discussing any women's rights :lol::lol::lol: as I didn't say that it is a must for husband to ask.

To make my answer for your question clear, let us assume the following regular dialogue that might happen in any Egytian family. Assume a man and his family who live in six of October city, and his wife/daughter wants to go out with her friends in Almohandseen neighborhood.

Husband/father: where are you going :)?

Wife/daughter:  with friends :cool: "and she will tell the destination".

Husband/father: Sounds fun ;), but how are you going?

Wife/daughter: taking a cab :(.

Husband/father: uuuuuuhhhhhmmmm :/:/, but when are you coming back?

Wife/daughter: 10:00 pm :rolleyes:.

Husband/father: OK, I guess that I can give you a ride and will do something and will come to pick you up on time :).

On the other side, let us assume that the husband/father didn't ask and she took that taxi and for her bad luck she faced a dangerous situation, don't you think that the previous dialog would save her??????????? ;););)

Ok Caty it's my turn to ask you, how was your friend's wedding back in Germany? Which Egyptian tradition did you choose for her/him?

Cheers,
MO.

biffy wrote:

OMG - so now I am the stereotypical expat that you think I am!!
Trust me you couldn't be more wrong!!

And yes Egypt does need money from outside through such businesses as tourism - you only have to go to places such as Luxor and Aswan and the resorts to see this.  Have you been to Khan El Khalili recently - no business.

Egypt - I am sorry to say is not independent - you can't be with more than 80 million mouths to feed and a country that is basically arid.

Thank you Biffy and well said

MO2013 wrote:

Ok Caty it's my turn to ask you, how was your friend's wedding back in Germany? Which Egyptian tradition did you choose for her/him?

Cheers,
MO.

As its totally off topic here its the only thing to talk about now :D
The wedding will be in august isa
I will take some sharbat with me, thats all :( did not find anything very special or impressive else :(