Moving to/working in/ volunteering in Nepal

Hi,

I am looking for me next adventure and Nepal is high on my list.
On checking the web for info, I am however getting a bit discouraged.
Is it really as difficult as it seems to just go to a different country and experience the country, the culture and the people?

I will need to work as I go as I won't have funds beforehand.

I am Bilingual English/Danish but from what I can tell, even teaching English can be difficult.

Any info and good advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Isabel

I would suggest saving some money before you get here. Even $500 can go a long way here. Unemployment is high in Nepal and obtaining visas are long, expensive and pain-staking. Finding a job at a school here will not be difficult. However, finding one that will pay you well and finding a school that will sponsor your visa will be.
If I were you, I would come in August. Get your 5 month per calendar year tourist visa. Then when the new year comes, you will get the first 5 months of 2014 on a tourist visa (which is the easiest visa to get). This will give you 10 months in Nepal and it will give you plenty of time to decide if you want to stay longer.

Hi,
I am arriving in Kathmandu in early June & really want to find a bright, clean 1-2 bed flat. Same areas as most foreigners!!!Lazimpat, Maharajong, Naxal, Baluwatur, Chetrapath.
I have seen some of the places there before so I know the problem finding OK places is difficult. I have tried on line but prices seem to have gone through the roof in just 1 year!!!

Please HELP,
Andrea

Working on a tourist visa isn't legal. It can get you deported. Not that it will happen easily, but some employers know that.

What are your skills? Speaking English alone isn't enough to properly teach, in my opinion. And teaching isn't something you should take as a holiday job, you are responsible for the education of others.

Teaching as volunteering is ok, of course, as an assistant, and you might get a roof over your head, and food out of it. Paid jobs are a different thing. Usually 700-1000 NPR an hour can be arranged, if you are good, and have connections.

Living costs can be quite low, depending on what you want. You can private message me if you want. I have been there twice for two longer stays, and am playing a third LONG one.

I am quite fortunate, I can teach English, Culinary Arts, am a pretty decent cook(hehehe, read executive-chef if needed) painter and tattooer... so I will manage.

Hi,

If you have been travellng in Asia before then Nepal is not too much of a culture shock. Same as allot of S?E Asia.
I agree with the post that you come in August & you get a full 10 months on this visa. It might be illegal but its what allot of us have to do. You could also try another visa application option. Come as a tourist & then apply for a research visa. Its pretty complicated but yo have to submit you proposed research subject proposal. The red tape is "challenging" but yo get 1 full 12 months from this visa. Again its not really legal but some of us dont have the opportunity to stay in Nepal as employees etc unlike the message saying you cannot work with a tourist visa & you might get deported. Begrudgers everywhere I suppose.

1 challenge is finding somewhere to stay. ( I am looking for flat, see my add!!). You could stay in Thamel in a cheap hotel, you could get 1 for about $5+ but be prepared to have a room with no window or even change of sheet atall. I think if funds are just below OK a homestay is the best bet. You get a bedroom & shower & meals with the family. Its an ok option if you get a good family.

As for work, the only way I can see it is to advertise  for private English lessons. You don't need any one to sponsor you for that. Its wort a try but its probably not too well paying.

Good luck,
A

Thank you al so very much for your reply. I will go home to the UK first I think, get some money together and then just go and see what happens me thinks. August will be cutting it a bit close though, won't be able to go back to the UK till end of August and Cyprus is not really the place to save up money :)

Skills.. Eh,.. I am a medical secretary, not sure that'll do me any good in Nepal though :) Given private English lessons before but no quals. Have started the training for massage therapist, which is also one of the reasons I want to go to Nepal.
I am not really looking for a grand luxurious  time. Back to basics is more my thing.

The problem with housing is all the expats want to be in Thamel or Lazimpat. But keep in mind that Kathmandu is very small for a capital city. These neighborhoods are really excessively priced. If you live in Balajoo or Naya Bazzar you can still walk to Thamel and even Lazimpat. It's just like finding a great place to eat for a non-tourist price; just go around the corner and get off the main street.

But, really the noise, air, litter, street dogs, etc. is very bad in KTM because it is at the absolute lowest point in the Valley. Coming to Bhaktapur or Kopan, etc. will give you a much better rental rate and a better experience of Nepal. My choice is Bhaktapur, which is where I live-beautiful. I have a three bedroom/2 bath apartment for under $200 a month. It's huge, lovely and even has a great view of the Himalayas on a clear day. Imagine walking up the hill to the grocery store and walking through an ancient, sacred city on the way. Oh ya-just like that! I feel like it's heaven because there are so many gods. I pass Ganesh about 10 times every time I go out.

My blog will encourage you to come to Nepal: FrugalTravelsNepal.blogspot.com

Isabel, since you are a medical secretary why not get some remote work on the computer. Look at Guru.com and Elance.com  There are people doing a lot of remote work from editing, transcription, medical billing, etc. 

If I were in your position trying to save up for my escape I would start an account at places like these and dedicate all the money I'd make to travel and by then you will be on a roll. You could live in Nepal on only a few hundred dollars a month.

Hi,

Thank you all again so much for your replies.
Unfortunately I don't have internet at home, so therefore my replies may be a little sporadic depending on work etc.
Madagascarnow> Thank you for suggesting that, I have looked the sites up, as I also speak Danish and may be able to do some translations.

So, is it possible to just save up a little money, get a one way ticket, and then play it by ear?

I don't really want it to be too organized to be honest.

Nepal can be difficult.  Unemployment is high.  Even many volunteer jobs require fees and donations.  You might consider tutoring as you go. 

I tutor online, but payments are delayed a month.  It just covers extras. 

And I have to have reliable internet for my laptop. 

Idealist.org posts positions.