Gulf English School

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know anything about the Gulf English School's reputation as an employer please?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

I have read some pretty negative reports about that school. I am not a teacher but as a parent who was looking for suitable schools I decided to subscribe for a year to International Schools Review. It doesn't cost much but you get to read reviews by teachers regarding a huge number of international schools.

I read all the reviews for GES and they were almost all negative. That school has had some major upheavals this year in particular. I did not enroll my children there and from what I read from teachers I wouldn't want to work there.

If no one else responds, consider sending an email and joining ISR for a year. It's money well spent.

Here's their email: International Schools Review

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply. I did read the ISR reviews and as you say they are not that pretty! However, I took a sample of 10 random schools in a variety of Middle East locations and they were equally critical!!! I wonder if it has something to do with only writing reviews if you have an axe to grind??

It's a mine field!!

I really appreciate you replying. Thank you.

Hi Steve
Yes, I guess there is a bit of axe-grinding involved but having said that I didn't see any negative reviews about The English School, for example. So I think there must be some truth to them. No smoke without fire and all that.

Hi again,

That's definitely a fair point.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

The first school I worked at in Kuwait was GES in 2011. I enjoyed my year at GES. Friendly staff and well resourced. Kids were great.
Like Kiwi says GES has been going through some changes so it takes a bit of time to re-establish routine.

Would you recommend that school to parents looking for a school in 2013/2014?

If not, from your experience, what school or schools would you recommend for foreigners wanting a decent education for their children at a reasonable price?

Kiwi if you had asked me that question this time last year I would have said yes I definitely recommend it. However, I was not there last academic year so it would not be just to make such an assessment.

I can get you in touch with some parents who have kids currently at the school. PM me. The parents will be glad to help.

I am considering teaching in Kuwait.

I would like more current opinions on GES. Would teachers that have recently taught there or currently teaching there recommend it?

I am an experienced teacher from UK. What salary should I be looking for in KD per month?

Thank you

The salaries are fairly pitiful and I don't think qualifications and teaching experience come into it. Huge staff turnover year after year. Head of Secondary yet to be appointed and some staff shortages in science and drama.

Gulf is probably sightly second league school in Kuwait pay probably around 800 - 1200kd  depending on your experience. Top English schools would probably be (in no particular order ) NES, KES and BSK

I will be moving to Kuwait and working at GEs. Any advice?

Simple Tolani, do not let anyone influence your decision, a few bad apples can ruin the batch. A school is an employer, just like anyone else. Over the course of my career, I've worked with many a manager who others at my same level would detest to work with, but I got along with them fine. In the end, it is that persons personal experience, so if you have a job offer, take it, spend the time, see how it is, if you do not like it, switch to another school. In kuwait, it is always better to transfer residency rather than make from scratch, so the offers will be pouring.

Thank you. I really love it here!!

Some interesting insights and information about GES. This is 2023,are things the same at the school as in the past? Has the teacher's welfare improved or it had dunked even more? Would you advise a today teacher to accept an employment offer in the school?