Cycling in Manama

Hello, I'm relocating to Manama for a year from Northern California. From everything I read Bahrain seems pretty westernized. I'm trying to figure out if it would be appropriate to bring my road bike with me. Is cycling something that people are in to over there or would I not fit in in my super hero outfit (jersey and bike shorts).

Welcome to Bahrain. You will certainly like it here.

Cycling is some thing people do here in Bahrain, be it for exercise or to get around. Just a few points to bear in mind though:

1) It does get very hot and humid during the summer months (we are heading into the really hot months soon). To put it simply, its like one big sauna. Think about it before venturing out, otherwise the super hero outfit will become super stuffy :) If you do venture out, one word of advise is "hydrate".

2) Motor vehicles tend to drive very fast on Bahrain roads. You will have to be extremely careful if you are cycling down busy roads. There are public parks and walkways in almost all major areas. If you wish to avoid traffic, you may wish to restrict your cycling to these parks and walkways.

Having said all these, I do enjoy cycling and do it sometimes to change the usual jogging/walking routine. Best wishes.

Please don't forget Bahrain is a one big flat dusty country. Although people do cycle, country is not bicycle friendly. Just make sure you do not cycle during summer daytime. No matter how prepared you are, it is dangerously hot.

I was wondering about the heat and dust. I can imagine that would cause hell for an expensive race bike. I'm in Northern California currently and half the fun of cycling is zooming down a hill and going through all the twisties (after climbing the stupid hill of course).

I know what you mean :) But no hills here I'm afraid. I don't think you will even want to ride a bicycle. Highways are dangerous to ride I would say. You might want to give up on this hobby to be honest.

I know what you mean :) But no hills here I'm afraid. I don't think you will even want to ride a bicycle. Highways are dangerous to ride I would say. You might want to give up on this hobby to be honest.

:one I couldn't agree more. If you see the way they drive here...its unbelievable. :o More over, its the heat and dust as mentioned that could affect you. There are no cycle routes here either. I personally have seen very few people that cycle here.

Saying that, if you wish to cycle in the area you live in, so as to staying in your own area and not going on major roads, then i feel this is something you can consider once you're here? But you would have to see if there are alot of cars and traffic, if so, forget the idea, otherwise, as a keep fit or exercise, you could do this later on in the year when its cooler and providing its not dusty. :)

Mate, there are cyclists here. Every Friday morning Awali Wheelers get together for a ride, now in the summer it's 6am start and goes only for about 40km, while Saturday morning Bahrain RoadRunners cycle and they are more social cyclists with slower pace. I'm a Roadrunner that does triathlon, and occasionally rides with Wheelers. In non summer months Wheelers do about 3 hour rides, RoadRunners about 2 hours. The safety is OK, we do it around F1 area, where there's little traffic on weekends, but the only issue is that after 5 rides you've seen all the roads, and all of them are so boring. If you see anything green you'll be over the moon. 90% is flat, there are 2 hilly areas, but nothing in HC ballpark, more like category 4. There are no cycling competitions, but you'll get into triathlon soon, as there are many triathlons and running competitions.
Howl if you have more questions.

Great reply Flying-Circus. I know you work really hard for your triathlons.

A few of the expat clubs also have people training for overseas cycling adventures. I see people training all the time (early morning mostly) to avoid the heat

There are lots of sports shops in Bahrain, a popular one is called Sun, Sea, Sand Sports - they sell bikes and it might be worth buying a slightly cheaper one here and leaving your expensive one somewhere safe for now.

Josnuggles wrote:

There are lots of sports shops in Bahrain, a popular one is called Sun, Sea, Sand Sports - they sell bikes and it might be worth buying a slightly cheaper one here and leaving your expensive one somewhere safe for now.

Jo, there are a lot of shops, but non that are good for road bikes. Sun and Sands has some bikes, but only recreational bikes, and no road bikes for this level.
There is Skate Shack, but they only carry Trek, so yes, you can get a good road bike, but not too many choices. Alternative is going to Dubai buying it (I just did it 10 days ago) as they have 4-5 great stores that carry Giant, BMC, Trek, Scott, Cervelo...
But if you bring your own bike, you'll be fine.

Josnuggles wrote:

Great reply Flying-Circus. I know you work really hard for your triathlons.

You can tell I don't cycle :D

Hi Ahellers,
Hope you landed safely in Bahrain & welcome to the forum.
Yes you can cyle here. I have a bike road and I cycle in my areav(Amwaj) every night., except when it is too windy or too dusty.
Cheers.

Hi I am moving to Bahrain next month.  Do Awali Wheelers still met up and ride on Fridays?  If so where is the meeting place?
Thanks

This is a very old thread, not sure if the members are active.

T&R

Murph, Weelers are dead, but there are more cycling groups then ever before. The most common meeting place is TriLife shop in Zallaq close to Sofitel, and you'll see many cyclists start from there early weekend mornings.

Hi, I want to buy a cycle, any suggestions on what a beginner should get? I mostly need it to wander around and get some exercise

Hi Mate (Flying Circus)
Thanks for the information.  I will find out where that is when I get there and meet up with them.
Cheers

I want to take part at the Ironman 70.3 on Bahrain, Manama, the 8th of december 2018.
Is it possible to rent a bike for the competition for 7-9th of december 2018 somewehre on the isle?
A road-bike or triathlon-timemachine?

Hi,
I am sure if anyone has info on this they would reply back, i would suggest you reach out to the sponsors http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/ … z5SqyXIz1H and have a word.

Good luck.

T&R

TriLife bike shop rents bikes (maybe even Skate Shack), but you better hurry up as they rent quickly as soon as the race dates is out.

Thank you for your advise.

There's a bike shop on Budaiya hwy I believe