Planning to relocate to Singapore - Accommodation & Friends

Hey Folks,

My name is Aby. Currently living in Tokyo.
My work might require me to relocate to Singapore, but I'm very iffy on moving out of Japan (best place on earth to live according to me :) ), but the role being offered is very enticing.

The rent prices in SG made me realize that I cannot perhaps get a place by myself that is close to the city/action and still within 20-30 mins to work. Been looking at random website for renting and flat share etc, but they look pretty pricey. If there is anyone out there looking for long term flat share (reasonably big ;) - and CLEAN) easily commutable to Raffles Square or Harbourfront, please let me know.
personally, I would like to hang out with folks who are outgoing, open hearted to different cultures and loves music and sports.

It would also be great if someone could fill me in on basic do's and dont's in SG, so that I could compare with Japan and make up my mind for good. If anyone out there has already relocated from Tokyo, please let me know the flip sides as well as the positives of living in Singapore.

Regards,
Aby

Hi Aby,

You are most welcome to sunny Singapore!

Most people speak English here so language is not much of a problem.  Food, hangout places etc are plentiful with lots of varieties.   A lot of foreigners here, safe, low crime country, but probably thing you may have to get use to is we only have summer all year through, weather ranges from 25-34 degree Celsiu, only cooler when it rains.

[Moderated: Use your pm pls]

'do' enjoy the amazing hawker food stalls in low pasat. 'don't' bring cigarettes into Singapore :)

Thanks Guys, I'm still contemplating on the move. Cigarettes are not a problem, I'm a non smoker :-)

Hello Aby.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Concerning the accommodation, do not hesitate to post an advert in the Housing in Singapore section.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks Aurelie :-)
I'll post there once I confirm the relocation, I'm still iffy on the deal :-)

Cheers!

Many Thanks Janice!

That's quite a write up!
But I've decided to hold on to Japan for a little longer :-)

There are just too many things that I would end up missing here, but that said, Singapore is definitely one of future destinations!

Thanks Again for taking time out to reply in detail!

Cheers,
Aby

I lived both in Japan and Singapore.
One major fact not yet mentioned, and which tips the balance heavily in favour of Singapore for me, is the ease of social integration as a foreigner.
Japanese are famously inward-looking and friendly but distant towards foreigners, even when you go the extra mile to learn their language and follow their ways.
Singaporeans are such a culturally mixed bunch and so used to live with foreigners (about 30% of the population!) that they think nothing about mingling with strangers, no matter if dark-faced or blonde-haired.
Being an outsider (and limiting your social life to other outsiders), as Japan demands from you, might not be a problem for everyone, but I felt much more at home as a normal person in Singapore.
At the same time (and for much the same reasons), Singapore offers a much greater diversity and variety in many ways. I was never bored there for all of 12 years!

Thanks Beppis,

You've quite a point there, though I would like to mildly argue that the younger generation in Japan is more international :-)
Probably, just Tokyo.

But honestly, I'm just being a sissy because I can't miss my Thursday night futsal games an,biking and hiking, and snowboarding season ;-)

Cheers,
Aby

interesting dude!

i would love to visit japan, so its an interesting topic to talk about the difference between singapore and japan.

i never been to japan, so i have ton of question, feel free to ask me any question about singapore and i would love to answer that base to my experience.

hey dude.. i am actually at singapore , just browsing through this site while sipping a nice cold tiger beer in Orchard Road :-) Although i am from malaysia , its my first time in singapore and i am indeed impressed by what it has too offer , only thing i guess its lack of space which i guess is indeed a challenge in any city. but on the other hand speaking to some people , there are lots of opportunities.. in terms of Jobs , Banking...IT .. Etc..

Hey Folks,

Thanks for all the inputs! keep em coming :-)
jadriano - feel free to pm me on anything you need to know about Japan, I can fill you in with some details for sure :-)