How expensive is it to live in Curitba

How expensive is to live in Curtiba

Hi pele6254,

If you read the posting "High Cost of Living in SP, how to economize" you will find that although it was written with São Paulo in mind it really applies to almost every large city in Brazil, including Curitiba.

I think the only difference you might find there is that perhaps rents will be a tiny bit lower than São Paulo, but not much.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=137716

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

too expensive

Life's like that sometimes!

It's cheaper than live in Rio or Sao Paulo.

(Sorry about spelling mistakes, my english is really really rusty since I haven't spoken or written in almost one year.)

Curitiba is far less expensive than São Paulo or Rio. São Paulo, Rio, Brasília and Recife are some of the most expensive cities to live in Brasil, there are capitals not só expensive, like Curitiba in the South or João Pessoa in the northeast.
My brother has been living in Curitiba for 5 years now, and I lived there for almost 2 years, cost of living is basically as described below:

1.RENT
In “fancy” neighborhoods like Batel or Agua Verde you will spend from R$1.000,00 to R$1.500 on a 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms apartment, or from R$700 to R$900 on a 1 bedroom apartment.
Batel is close to nice restaurants and fancy shops, most of the nightlife in Curitiba takes place there. Agua Verde is a little quieter and has everything you need on walking distance (drugstores, supermarkets, restaurants). Both Batel and Agua Verde are on a downtown area.
In nice and quieter neghborhoods like Bacaheri ou Tingui  you can rent a 2 bedroom apartment for around R$500 to R$700.

2. TRANSPORT
Gasoline is now around R$2,70 per liter.
Bus ticket is R$2,80

3. SUPERMARKET
You will spent around R$400 to R$600 a month with food and cleaning products for 1 to 2 people.

4. EATING OUT
Ok restaurants around R$25,00 per person. Good restaurants around R$50,00 per person. Fancy restaurants (special ocasions) around R$70,00.

5. ENTERTAINMENT
Curitiba has lots of nice parks peple go to exercise have picnics, etc for free.
Movie tickets go from R$16,00 to R$20,00. If you go on mondays or wednesdays it's half price.
Plays from R$10,00 to R$20,00. During the Theather Festival the tickets are R$50,00.
Concert tickets around R$150,00 for a known brasilian artist like Chico Buarque, and around R$30,00 to see the state orchestra.

6. SCHOOL
Good Universities in Brazil are public. The only private Uniersity that has some respect is PUC (Catholic University). To enter a Public University the student must take the “vestibular” test.
So the choice of school depends on what your child plans on studying at University.

Any course other than Law, Engeneering or Medicine:
Around R$500,00/month

Law or Engeneering (Medicine if above average student)
Aroung R$800/month

Medicine (also Law or Engeneering for below average student)
From R$1.000,00 to R$1500,00/month