About to take an offer for reassignment to Suzhou, some tips please

Hi there everyone! I'm being offered a temporary reassignment to the Suzhou site of our company which is in the BPO industry. I'd like to gather some more tips before I accept the offer.

Our company was good enough to take care of my accommodations and they say after a few days/weeks in a hotel, I'll move to a fully furnished house (not sure if it's a condo or apartment) and the utilities are already taken care of by the company.

With that out of the way, my other concerns were food and transportation. I unfortunately don't cook and I am used to driving my own car. I'll be given a monthly transportation and cost of living allowance worth 2,800 RMB combined and will also get a monthly premium of 1,726 RMB. So that totals 4526 RMB. Will that be enough to sustain me for a month of eating out and commuting (via taxi at first)to work and around places? I intend to use up most of the allowances for my expenses and if possibly touch as little as possible from my basic salary. In short, I also want to save up a little while there.

I'm also how much the cost of medicine is in Suzhou as I am taking maintenance medicine.

How safe is Suzhou? What is the level of crime? Is it generally safe?

Finally, about Entertainment, do the local cinemas show the recent Western (aka American) films? What other things are there to do in Suzhou? Is there a night life to speak of? I'm hoping I won't be bored while there.

Wow, I just arrived here yesterday and still not sure where I am now beside I am here in Suzhou physically .

Try this site numbeo.com for cost of living

Hey Stumpy,

I haven't been here for long, but maybe I can give you an idea based on what I've seen.

Food, if you're gonna eat out, a simple meal would probably cost you 30-50 rmb. There are cheaper/pricier options of course, but that's what I've been paying when I eat by myself.

Taxi, for a 5km ride one way, 15-20rmb.

I'm not sure about medicine, but companies generally offer health insurance don't they?

Suzhou is VERY safe. Pay more attention when you cross the street though :P

There are movies in English in theaters, just have to get used to the subtitles and people around you looking at their phones all the time...

Good luck!