Finnish language. ..

If you are planning to move or live in Finland, speaking Finnish is a must. If you know their language, , everything will be great. From having friends to work and etc.

Hello simplymommy1990,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

An introduction maybe?

Thank you,

Francesca

Simplymommy is right.

Apparently 5 out of the 8 Spanish nurses that the city of Vaasa hired in October on a 2-year contract have now decided to leave. As their reasons, they cite the high cost of living in Finland, difficulty learning Finnish and the cold climate. So they are leaving just when it's getting warmer and the good part starts... Quitters!

Had these young people kept up with their Finnish studies, they would have been given more demanding, better paying tasks.

Some had found new jobs in London, of all places. It seems that they are jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. London is hardly less expensive, at least housing is more expensive in a big city like London than in Vaasa. The weather is hardly better, and it is colder indoors during winter than in Finland. I guess the real reason is that for young people, a bigger city is more interesting.

I also sincerely think it is a very bad idea to start your life here in the fall, heading toward winter, which will seem like it never ends. Better to come in the spring or the summer.

Yes, this is totally true. Language is compulsory if you want to work in public dealing. But I am working as a researcher in a university and I dont have any problem. Because medium of instruction is English at my work.