Moving my car into Malta

Hi there
Im moving to Malta next month and Im thinking to take my car. I was checking all the related posts here  and I still have some questions, can anyone help me?

OK, my first intention is to stay there for 6 months so is mean that at first I wont need to pay the tax.
I can provide this page as well:

http://www.transport.gov.mt/Page.aspx?pageid=571&lid=1

Here I could find most of the information.

Im still have some questions:

- Its said that you need a road licence, do I need to get a new one or If I have mine from another European country it will be ok?.

- About the insurance, how much it can cost if I don't get my claim history? and If I do get?. (please any approximation will be ok to me, this is the key point to make up my decision).
And, can I get one for 6months or I need to get from the date through all year?.

Finally I would like to ask you, how is the public transportation in Malta?
I guest with all that i read until now, that is ok and cheap, but what i really want to know if you cant get around all the island or it will be just the main towns.

Thanks a lot!!
PS. It will be a pleasure to meet you on Fridays. Are you still dating?

Hi ,

you have a lot of difficult questions !

But first off all , if you don't have a valid car insurance from your home country you can't drive your car to Malta anyway.

So keep your insurance for the six months the car is in Malta. I doubt if any Maltese insurance would cover you for less than 6 months.

If you bring a car to Malta under these exemptions you have to have left the country before 6 months with the car!If it breaks down in Malta or has to be scrapped you have a problem.

The road license is from your home country as you will not be paying in Malta , so you need a valid license from your home country for the time you are staying in Malta.Make sure it doesn't expire while you are here !

If you don't have any car insurance no-claim history from your previous insurance company it will be as expensive in Malta as anywhere else in Europe.

So if you are in any way thinking of staying longer than 6 months in Malta with your car you will have to register it in Malta and pay registration tax and road tax in Malta.

Public transportation is , in general, good and cheap.

Ricky

Hi Ricky
Thank you for your quick answer!! I know you're being so kind at this chat trying to help anyone. You're really helpful!!.

As I have read in the page that I attached, these exemptions will cover me until 7 months so I will have an extra month to get out from Malta…anyway I will pay the tax if I stay longer.

About the insurance I have one here, in Spain (same with the road licence), is a comprehensive one, but it will just cover me abroad for one month so I will need to get new one in Malta, I think I can get my claim history I was wondering just in case I couldn't…

I seriously doubt about taking the car, but anyway I have already sent some queries to 2 insurances companies (maybe you can recommend me one). I'm waiting for their answers. I won't do it if I don't get the whole information before the date.

Thanks again

Regards

Hi ,

don't trust any info that you get! Even from officials! It is when you turn up with your car that yor're told what is needed!

I've never heard of one extra month to get out of Malta - only of friends who's cars were confiscated  right after the 6 months expire !

Malta is rather strange when it comes to driving a foreign registered car in Malta - they actually have regular check points to look out for over-staying cars and their owners !

As to registering and paying the extra tax it depends on you're car ( make,age,mileage and so on) whether it is worthwhile going through with the procedure.

Check this oifficial site:

https://secure2.gov.mt/vehicleregistration/home

Look forward to meeting you at one of our Friday meetings.

Check for details about time and place on:

www.an-american-in-malta.com

Ricky

Hi Ricky!!.

Is not an extra month is just this:

"is brought temporarily into Malta for a period, consecutive or otherwise, not exceeding 7 months in any 12 month period" (http://www.transport.gov.mt/Page.aspx?pageid=574&lid=1)

Anyway you right about donŽt trust any info especially from the companies...iŽll keep looking for info and iŽll think deeply about this.

IŽm moving at the end of march so see you then...

Thanks a lot!!