Visa Sponsorship

Hi,
We are planning on moving to Bali for at least 12 months. We work from home so are not going there to gain employment. We think we will need to get a 12 month temporary residence visa, but we need a sponsor for this.
Does anyone have any advice on the best way to find a sponsor? We don't know anyone who lives in Indonesia. Is it possible to find a sponsor before we move there, or will we need to get a tourist visa, then find a sponsor when we get to Bali?

Thank you very much.

balibound wrote:

Hi,
We think we will need to get a 12 month temporary residence visa, but we need a sponsor for this.
Does anyone have any advice ...

If you are over 55 you can apply for a Retirement KITAS for 12 months. The agent who handles the paperwork can arrange sponsorship for you.

If you are under 55, you can go for a full KITAS, which gives you the right to work (but can get expensive when you factor in the $1,200 USD you must pay the government for the privilege. You will have to decide whether to register for tax, which lets you avaoid the 2.5 million rupiah FISKAL tax every time you leave the country, but exposes you to a tax liability, or not register and wear the expense of FISKAL.

An alternative is to get a multiple entry business visa, which is cheaper, and I believe requires no sponsor. No FISKAL liability either. BUT you may need to do a visa run every 2 months, or get your agent to process a renewal every 2 months.

A new wrinkle may be to use the just-changed VOA rules - where you can now come in on a VOA for 30 days, then renew for another 30 days. Then get a cheap flight to Singapore and back and repeat until bored or pinged by the authorities. I don't know how acceptable this strategy would be to the powers that be.

Rules here seem to change frequently, so it is best to get the 'official' word from a good agent rather than rely on expats like me whose experiences (when they applied) may be a tad out of date!

Cheers
Vyt