US Expat Wife Trying to Find a Job in Dublin!

Hi Everyone,

I just registered and this is my first post. My husband and I currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California but are moving to Dublin in a few months for about two years. My husband works in the finance department for his company and they have asked him to move out to their new Dublin office to help start their finance group out there. I am obviously going with him on this new adventure.

I currently have a good job, with a great company, and my company actually has an office in Dublin as well. I am in the process of applying to new positions in our Dublin office since my current role is US-specific. Ideally I will stay with my company but there is a chance I may not be able to, which means I will not have a job.

I really want to work in Dublin while my husband is there but I have been researching what my options are and am confused! It sounds like it's extremely hard to obtain a work visa. They say you need a a job offer in hand but don't you need a work visa to even apply to positions?? Sounds like a catch 22 to me.

I have read the information on this site, citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/migrant-workers/employment-permits/spousal_work_permit_scheme
and am still slightly confused.

I am sure many women have done this before so if you can share your experiences that would be great. I just want to know what the process is. Do I apply for a green card, temporary work visa, holiday visa?? I am confused and find it hard to believe that it's really this complicated.

Thanks!!!

Its tricky enough, I work in recruitment here in Dublin and might be able to help you out - Its a tricky market over here but there is options

email me at [email protected]