Jobs in Tenerife

hi there i'm just looking for some info anything you could tell me would help.

me and my wife to be are thinking of moving to Tenerife in 2 years after we save up some money to help for when we come over.

anyway i was wondering if there is any special requirements for being a security guard/officer in Tenerife as i have had to do training and gain a security licence over here in the uk and go through background checks to become a security guard over here.

And also my mrs is also a home career over here would she need any other training requirements to be a career over there to work in a nursing home.

thanks

danny

Hi Danny

Some planning before you move to Tenerife is good and some savings to keep you going until you find work is an excellent idea. Finding low paid casual work is possible in tourist areas, and most likely with British owned businesses.

If you want to work as a security officer and home carer then you will need to learn some Spanish. There is a website that offers job opportunities, but this is in Spanish and to use it you must register in Spanish, so mainly of interest for locals. However, the best way to find work is to approach a business direct and just ask.  Also, think about what else you could do using the skills and interests that you have.

There is a local website with info about finding work and living abroad as well as info about Tenerife - [moderated: no ads in your very first messages]   This lists many local British or English speaking businesses. It may be a way of finding work for you until you find just what you want.

Unemployment is high at the moment here, but tourism is still doing well, so there are opportunities. Having some Spanish is a good idea and your experience and qualifications of your work in the UK may be sufficient to get you work. There is not guarantee, but if you take some regular holidays in Tenerife over the next couple of years before you finally move, you can approach local businesses to get some idea of work possibilities. 

Remember, many ex-pats move abroad and reinvent themselves and end up doing different work, so don't just plan on the same jobs.

Good luck