Need PR Moving Company recommendations

We have to pick a moving company because we are leaving PR and all I'm getting are horror stories. Anyone have a good experience with movers here?

Thanks!

Choosing a moving company in PR is like voting. Either way you lose so you choose the lesser of the evils. We used Monte. Just make sure when you deal with them, get EVERYTHING in writing and signed. Be careful when they price out your belongings, they will raise the prices on you if you don't watch them closely. If you have computers pack them yourself because they charge a lot just to pack a computer.Just tell them you are leaving them behind by selling them or giving them to a friend. If you put it in a box they will only charge you $25. But you have to buy the boxes and pack them yourselves except for items that don't fit in a box. Then they make a box for that item. Pack your stuff good because they are not gentle with it once it leaves your house.

They will send a rep out to your house and they will go through the entire house with you and price everything out, figure up a final price for you, you pay to buy the boxes and give them a 50% deposit and start packing. When they come they will pack the stuff you aren't able to. Watch them every second and watch for discrepencies. Like they might charge you $50 for a tv stand in the bedroom and $125 for the same size stand in another room. But they are all like that. Some are just worse than others. Good luck.

That is one clear-eyed assessment right there, GreggK. Well put.

One other option is, if you don't have any large items like furniture or tvs, buy a bunch of those rubbermaid bins from Walmart, pack up all of your small stuff in those (and tape the hell out of them), and mail them via USPS to wherever you're moving too. I think there is a 45 lbs weight limit and you should use the Post Office that is on the way to Base Munis ((the back road that runs behind Aeropuerto Internacional Luiz Munoz Marin Airport (the main San Juan airport)). I once sent approximately six large rubbermaid bins full of books and such all the way to Europe for under $1,000, which is reasonable, especially compared to a moving company.

We have relocated to the US and returned back to PR both times. Monte-Rosa Del Monte gave us the best service. I did "Lose" an expensive watch on one of the moves. We learned how to do it right when we returned to PR in 2010. We left Puerto Rico with a 45 Trailer full of furnishings...we returned to PR with 20 boxes. Getting rid of "stuff" is a life liberating experience. (Moving aboard and living on our sailboat in Ft. Lauderdale helped with this process;-))

Our close friends had a terrible experience with Monte-Rosa Del Monte, including a large cash theft. We have Capital coming in two weeks and my fingers are crossed.

Hi,

I'm planning on moving a few items from PR to Miami with rosa del monte.
You mentioned you learned a few tips from your moves. Any advice? :-)

Thank you in advance!!!!

I can't give a final recommendation for Capitol until we get our things. However, the pack up went reasonably well. Our only complaint was that when we arrived in PR we had 191 items and somehow we had 272 items when leaving. One of the packers was wrapping brooms individually and taking apart fans and wrapping them separately. In any case, they were nice and did a good job packing but we'll really have to make a final assessment when we get it all. The cost was high but everything in PR is expensive.

Erin

Has anyone used "La Flor de Mayo to move furniture etc, to Puerto Rico recently? I called them uo and got a quote from them .  I know that they have been around for a long time since my Mom used them years ago.

I also called "La Rosa Del Monte to get a  quote and they finally called back today after a couple of days with the quote.  Their quote was more then La Flor de Mayo but we asked for a written estimate also and am waiting to see it.

We also asked for a written quote from La Flor De Mayo and it seems to be more than what I was quoted on the phone.  Apparently they don';t come out to give a quote in person as I thought they did.

So has anyone had good or bad experiences with either of these companies.  My husband and I are going to look over both quotes carefully before  a decision.  Any thoughts will be appreciated. 

Tonie

An update after receiving our things... Everything was packed so poorly that we had to have most of the furniture recovered and/or the wood refurbished. TV was broken. Several lamps completely trashed. I'm not sure how our dishes made it whole... The plates were wrapped in stacks of five with nothing in between. Light bulbs randomly thrown in between blankets that then broke when we unpacked because we didn't know they were there. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Capitol at all.

La rosa del Monte or "Monte" will come to your house and go over everything with you, make a list and give you a price. They are all crooks but they seem to be the least  of the crooks. They will cheat you at every single chance they get. Watch their pricing closely. If you have a TV stand in one room they might charge you $35 for it and say you have one exactly like it in the bedroom they might put a price of $75 on the exact same thing. If you have computers don't have them price them out for you. just tell them you'll leave them behind and get new ones when you get moved. Then what you do is pack the computer yourself in one of the boxes they provide and it will only cost $25. Because they charge $75 to pack a computer. You have to pack all your own stuff that will fit in their large moving boxes which they charge $25 a piece. Other larger and odd shaped stuff they will custom make boxes for them on moving day. After taking inventory and estimating how many boxes you will need at $25 a piece and your furniture they will give you a price. You will then give them 50% and set a date for them to come and pick up all your stuff. At that time they will count the actual number of boxes along with the rest of your stuff and give you a final price. They will get it to your destination in 4 weeks. They will call you and set up a delivery day at which time you will have to have cash or a money order for the balance or nothing comes off the truck. If you don't have all of your balance they will put your things in storage and charge you $300 per month until you have all the money to pay for the delivery and storage fees. You can count on some stuff being damaged. No matter how well you pack your own stuff they just throw it around carelessly during the moving process. . Mark each box with a number and keep a list. As each box goes out of the house check off the box#. Then have them sign the list. When they deliver your stuff don't let anything come in your door without it being checked off your list again. That way you will be sure to get all your stuff. I learned the hard way. Some of my stuff ended up missing and I didn't discover it until later and there was no way to prove anything. Trust no one. Verify everything and get any and all agreements signed and dated.