Landscape Architect job in Goiânia

Hi everyone, I am going to see my girlfriend in Goiania this July for a month. However I am considering moving there at the beginning of next year and am wondering if anyone has any information in regard to work opportunities in Goiania? Unfortunately I don't speak Portuguese yet so would be aiming for an english speaking position. I am an Australian and am currently working as a Landscape Architect in Melbourne.
Thanks, any advice would be great!
Lucas.

Hi Lucas,

Good luck, working in Brazil without speaking Portuguese especially when you're dealing directly with the public is pretty much impossible my friend. As if the laws requiring employers to prove they've been unable to place a Brazilian in any vacancy before they offer it to a foreigner aren't already bad enough. Finding a job here in Brazil is no picnic in the park for us gringos to be sure.

Come visit your girlfriend and make good use of the time checking out the local job situation on your own, it's always easier to find something from up close as opposed to through a telephoto lens. Who knows, maybe you'll luck into something and you can take it from there as to how to procede.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi Lucas,

Welcome to Expat.com!

A new discussion has been created with your post on the Goiania forum.

All the best,
Christine

Hey Lucas!

I've been living in Brazil for 4 years now (7 months in Rio de Janeiro and 3.5 years in Goiânia). I think you could be pretty successful in your area here in Goiânia if you want to work as an independent landscape architect, especially if you can implement new ideas here. However, you will need Portuguese. Although Goiânia is a nice city, the wages here are very low compared to Rio or São Paulo. So, learn as much Portuguese as you can, make sure you have enough money to start a business, and finally, work for yourself. You'll make a lot more money. The only advantage about working for a company here (that is if you speak enough Portuguese) is that you'll gain experience and instantly meet folks in your area.

Anyway, if you want to know more about Goiânia and how it's like living and working here, let me know.

Al