How to get a realisitc feel of working in Malta from a holiday

Hello,

I'll be going to Malta in July for a reconnaissance mission, with a view to woking in Malta hopefully shorty after that. I want to get a good feeling for what working&living there would be like, as opposed to floating around doing the tourist thing. Any suggestions for places/ neighbourhoods/ cafes/live music venues etc which I could scope out would be great. I'd be looking for alternative/arty places :)

Thanks a million.

In all honesty, you won't really, even less so in the peak tourist season

Feck

Lemmon wrote:

Feck

I think you are confusing Gozo with Craggy Island

Hopefully not. I can see craggy island from my house on a clear day so I've had enough of it to last me a lifetime! The less craggy the better as far as I'm concerned.

Lemmon wrote:

The less craggy the better as far as I'm concerned.

Have you been to Malta ?

If you intend to find an office job when you eventually move over I think Valletta would be a good place to stay because you will see lots of white collar workers roaming around (on weekdays). It's also home to the National Museum of Fine Art and several churches which are full of paintings. I don't think there are any modern art museums but given that Valletta will be European Capital of Culture in 2018 we might get one by then.

As for live music you can go to Bridge Bar (Valletta) on Friday nights where live jazz performances take place. You can stay at Palazzo Sant Ursula or Asti guesthouse, they both get good reviews.

When you do actually move over you probably won't end up living in Valletta as the choice of accommodation is rather limited and quite expensive. However, it should help you reach the aims of your reconnaissance mission. You can always take the bus to visit other towns and villages where you can potentially settle down.

Thanks a million for your reply Lambada. I watched a lengthy youtuve video abour Malta and Valetta definitely appeals the most to me. I'll check out those guesthouses and that bar for sure! Where I'm from (Cork) we were capital of culture a few years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to the city. So much new architecture and investment in the city, the benefits are still being felt years later.

Lemmon wrote:

Where I'm from (Cork) we were capital of culture a few years ago

As will Valletta in 3 years (I think) - bet Cork didn't have Peter Andre as its cultural embassador for the year though