Looking to volunteer

Hi everyone..!

I've been in Jakarta for about 2 months.  I'm what you might call a "man of leisure".. so I'm looking to occupy some of my time doing voluntary work for charities. Are there any organizations I can approach ?

I'll be moving into the Kemang area end of this month or early next. So going to start hunting for furniture as well. Guess I'll start by searching the forum here for tips.

Cheers !

Foundation for Mother and child health any good to you?

mas fred wrote:

Foundation for Mother and child health any good to you?

Hi Mas Fred, thx for the lead ! Just googled them.  I was just only talking to my friend about corporate responsibility and how his company can help undernourished kids here since he's in the food industry.
Thx again !

Hello H.Blake.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

The Jobs in Jakarta section could help as well. Do not hesitate to post an advert there.

Concerning furniture, you can take a look in the Jakarta classifieds.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi 'Man of Leisure',
have you found anything yet?
If yes, I would like to participate with you as well.
Thanks!

Hi everyone..

It's been many months since I last checked in, so just want to share my eventful stay in Jakarta so far..

My wife and I finally moved into a house in Kemang sometime in June. Barely 3 weeks later, our house was burgled while we were away for the weekend ! I guest my "sensing" about the area being safe was wrong.. The Ketua RT said that the area was actually "aman tapi tak aman". I guess his message is not to take things for granted, his own house having been burgled before.

So I got 2 jaga to look after the house 24/7. Not those Satpam from the agencies tho, but through some recommendations. Then tragedy no. 2 struck. One of the jaga took the car out while my wife and I was out of town, and got into an accident. Fortunately no one was killed or injured ! So it wasn't so bad after all and the car is insured anyways. The jaga took off after the accident but came back a few weeks later to apologize and explained that he took the car out to check on his son who was very sick..

Before the dust settled, tragedy no. 3 struck - my wife came down with dengue fever. She was hospitalized for 5 days. Thanks to the doctors here who made early diagnosis and constant monitoring, my wife recovered nicely. But not before giving me one hell of a scare, and her platelet level went down to just 22 at one point.

People say bad luck comes in 3s, so I guess I've filled up my quota. Looking forward to a peaceful stay in Jakarta now..

Wow lots of things happening to you,  none of them nice.   I hope that's the end of the bad luck and the good starts soon.

well..there are so many charity organizations can be found in Jakarta, i think you can go to hospitals, church, and many places related..,it's depend on you.. charity can be done..anywhere if you wish..;)