Seriously considering moving to Iceland

I love everything I've heard about Iceland, and I love all Icelandic music I've heard, for what that's worth (Bjork, of course, Sigur Ros, Mugison, Helgi Hrafn Jonsson).  I also know that Iceland was hit pretty hard by the global recession.  Is there work to be had?  I'm an English major, which doesn't lend itself to a wide variety of careers, especially since, from what I understand, English is already pretty widely spoken.

I don't really even know what to ask, specifically.  Are the locals receptive to outsiders, Americans specifically?  Could I expect to carve out a place for myself?  I'm a very nice and bookish person who also knows how to appreciate a stiff drink, I just want to be somewhere where I can thrive.  Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!  :)

I should add that I realize this is pretty unrealistic, but I feel like I've run my course in America and I need to take a risk and get out while I'm still young and not too tied down to get away.  How are the universities?  I'm always down for more education.

As a non-EEA citizen, you will run into trouble with work permits. Technically speaking, an Icelandic company is obligated to first try to hire an Icelandic citizen before opening up a position to a foreigner. In this regards, it is easier for Europeans because of the labor mobility that the EEA entails. The only Americans I know that have "proper" jobs here (meaning they're not working on the black market as freelancers) are typically in very specialized jobs (or jobs requiring a great deal of technical skill). Also, due to a surge in nationalism after the recession, some Icelandic companies hire *only* people who are fluent in Icelandic -- even low-skill jobs like bakeries or cafes.

However, most people are still receptive to foreigners in general and most appreciate the effort that foreigners make to live here and contribute to society. (And they like that you bring foreign currency to the country and buy things!) I haven't noticed any ill will directed specifically towards Americans. Iceland is, after all, somewhat "Americanized" already. You will notice a lot of SUVs, suburbs, American TV/movies/music, consumer culture, etc. here.

You might want to look into applying to the University of Iceland for an "Icelandic for Foreigners" program so that you can get a student visa. The tuition is extremely affordable, but you will need to show some sort of financial support while you're living here. I think it works out to something like $1000/month for the duration of the visa. And you'll need to prove housing (university can assist with that) and you have to buy private health insurance (it's not terribly expensive). You also get to make friends from all over the world at the university -- so it's good you're thinking of doing this while you're still young.

If the university route sounds appealing, you should look into it very soon. I think the deadline for foreign students to apply for fall classes is April.

I'm an american with an art history degree, hired into a job for which I didn't really have relevant experience. Nearly five years after arrival, I'm still speaking English mostly at work and all the communication here is in English since it's a multinational company.

I'd actually recommend checking up on software companies with international offices since they're still in relatively good economic shape compared to companies that operate only domestically. They'd also be most likely to look upon a non-Icelander more agreeably (you can offer your expert English skills as a way to polish up their appearance on the international market). Software companies often need people for documentation, testing, customer training and plenty of other non-programmer activities.

That said, jrbowe is correct about paperwork. I've recently looked into what it takes to move to Germany as an American and it sounds MUCH easier than applying here. That said, I don't think it's impossible if you're determined and open minded about how you'll get here.

You just might want to come visit (during a non-summer month) before you decide it's the place for you. Living here is unlike most anywhere I've ever been in the world, which is part of the charm but also part of what can make it maddening at times!

I figured I would add to this. I am in the process of getting all of my paper work together to get my work permit, residence permit and visa ready to leave for Iceland in August. I am going to be moving there. Hopefully I can obtain citizenship and such.

Everything that I have read ( ECS, jrbowe, I have read all of your blog entries) has just made me love the place even more.

To the OP,
Don't hesitate to get it together and go for it. I feel the same way as you. I have run my course here in Virginia. I plan to go to Iceland and join or start a band (as I am in two of them here) With everything that I have been hearing. People are awesome towards americans. We wont have a problem. But Do as much research as you can!

If anyone wants to read my blog about my travels its Here

About visiting during a non-summer month, I'm not sure that would be possible.  I'm from Florida, and I live in Chicago now.  Now, I know it's not the same thing, but Chicago has one of the coldest and least sunny winters of any American city, and I really wasn't as bothered by it as everyone said I would be.  Is there more to the winter besides cold and lack of sunlight?  Maybe I'm being a little overconfident, but I like to think I'll be able to comfortably make at least as many adjustments as I had to make from Florida to Chicago.

Chicago winters DO suck (I'm from WI). Something I noticed about Reykjavik winters that differ from Midwest winters: in Reykjavik it is very, very windy (yes, windier than "Windy City") and rains more than it snows (which leads to bouts of unpleasant horizontal rain). If it snows in the capital, it usually only lasts for a few days until it gets rained off. On the other hand, it rarely drops below freezing. You just need to invest in a really good water-resistant/wind-resistant winter jacket.

given that it's never REALLY cold outside and the heat is plentiful (not to mention the swimming pools and steam rooms), it's not the temperature that gets to me here, but the dark. November-January are dark like even a Chicago dweller probably can't quite grasp (I came here from New England and I'm still struggling with it after my fifth winter here).  When it's cloudy for weeks on end you can barely call it "day", it's so dark.

but, compared to winters in say, Germany, the temperature is not a problem at all.

Just so I'm clear... Icelandic is a made-up language, right?  It's like the secret national joke.  They actually communicate through eye contact or hand gestures, and the language is a big prank they play on foreigners.  Yeah?  I cracked that code.

It seems like a lot of expats moved up there to be with a spouse, is that generally the case?  Are the foreigners already mostly paired up?  Because I'm single now and I'm pretty sure I would eventually start to feel the need to date once the madness of moving to a new place wore off.

Also, travel.  In my 'research' I've come to understand that pretty much everyone has a car and the bus system is less than magnificent.  One thing I have loved about Chicago is the public transportation: I can get almost anywhere in this huuuge city in about an hour.  Would I have to buy or lease a car to have any sort of actual life?

Thanks for all your help already, by the way.  I'm getting a clearer picture by the day of whether or not this may be possible/advisable.

I think many of the foreigners here wish that Icelandic were a made up language because it's not the easiest one to learn. I've given up trying to be grammatically perfect in favor of just getting the point across. My Icelandic friends are patient and kind about this.

The number of single foreigners moving here has definitely decreased but they can be found here and there. Back when I was single in Iceland (06, 07) it was actually quite fun.

On the car thing, as long as you live and work/study in a small area that's served by the busses, it's not so bad. There is a bus system and it is clean and mostly on time. The problem with it is that if you have to work outside the small area it serves you end up walking a lot or waiting a long time for connections.

Plus, if you want to pick up a desk at IKEA it's really annoying, not to mention that your options on the weekends are way less fun. I was carless here for a year and a half and I don't want to be without ever again.

So, if you plan to be carless in Iceland I strongly advise making friends with cars who want companionship on their weekend trips to the highlands or out to the countryside.

Were you serious about thinking Icelandic was made up? That is completely ridiculous. A simple read about the history of the language would show otherwise. Where did you hear that from? Certainly not on Wikipedia.

You have obviously done a lot of "research"

Oh, come on.  Of COURSE I was joking.

Whew! Thank God. I was not even prepared to argue with you about that, had you had been serious.

Well, it looks like applications are due on the 15th!  Yikes.  Suddenly I'm scrambling to make sure I get in everything I need by the deadline.

Are the degrees from UI respected internationally?  I'm having trouble finding information one way or the other.

Define "respected". I'm sure a degree from U of I is respected internally...if your prospective employer has clue that a country called Iceland exists. :)

Bad jokes aside, I'm pretty sure it is respected internationally. It is, after all, the national university and it is a research university and it participates in ESN/Erasmus programs for exchange students. I believe University of Akureyri, University of Bifröst, University of Iceland and Reykjavik University are all accredited universities. Of course, it is difficult to get information from the U of I web site!

"Of course, it is difficult to get information from the U of I web site!"

You're telling me...

hello,

just read some of the posts,and i like what iceland can offer, speaking 2 languages and very technical my next holliday will be iceland

You will love it there for sure . I had the best vacation of my life when I visited Iceland  last Month and the people in my opinion were some of the nicest one could ever meet . The majority of my trip involved no planning or touristy attractions and I cannot wait to go back to see many more sights and interesting people in April.

I have been seriously considering leaving the US as well. I have heard a lot of people speak positively about Iceland including a gaming friend of mine who recently moved there. Here is my situation though and maybe you helpful people in this thread could shed light on this.

I love video games and was considering getting into the industry. I am currently a law enforcement professional, specifically a Corrections Officer. While I do enjoy law enforcement/security/emergency services to an extent I dont enjoy working in a jail.

I haven't looked into any multinational security companies with a presence in Icelend yet, but does anyone know the specifics of the above job industries in Iceland. I am assuming citizenship is required for any type of governmental position? Is everything run by the government i.e. are there private ambulance companies, etc? Or will I just be very hard pressed to find a job with my skillset in Iceland?

I also wouldn't mind going back to school to get into video game design.

i just see for any place maybe any job,i m normal person who like have a normal live..i read a lot about iceland and i really hope go any day..i speak 3 languages and i have enough experience in hotel and turism

Hi ervis86,

Please note that this topic is from 2010.

Thank you,

David.