Possible move to KAUST

Wondering if anyone can give me a behind the scene look at KAUST.  Interviewing for a nice-level staff position.  Family with teenagers as well.  I have seen mixed thoughts about KAUST on various posts however many are outdated.

Basic questions:
- are the living conditions nice (as solicited)
- things to do?
- obviously a small community, but my family is active and this would be a huge change for them.
- how easy is it to travel?
- safety;  possibly the #1 question
- Does KAUST look out for its employees?
- how to compare expenses to what i am used to in US
- i believe taxes are handled differently and to the expat's advantage?
- have modern conveniences made their way to this location

If we go, i am looking for a family adventure and a huge opportunity to save $, etc.  Anything anyone can share is most helpful!

Many of your questions apply to life in general in Saudi Arabia, not specifically to KAUST, so you'll find answers by perusing some of the threads.

Best of luck!

thank you, but my most important questions are specific to KAUST.  About the lifestyle there, the atomosphere, the environment for teenagers and their schooling, for my wife's enjoyment, and of course the work and how KAUST treats their employees.

@tmfuqu, we will be moving to KAUST soon and from what I have heard all sorts of activities are organised over the weekends. There is a beach, there are swimmingpools, sportactivities. I cannot tell you about schooling as my children are still in Kindergarten. Maybe you can email the school directly about schooling? There are also some blogs around from people at KAUST, I know one of the bloggers has also teenagers. Maybe you can contact directly by sending them an email.

to Liubi - thank you.  not sure about you, but i am having great difficulty finding anything on out there about KAUST.  Of cours the recruiter says how wonderful.  What i have been able to uncover is a lot of mixed feelings, but some of those were from when it first opened.

Have you found any specific blogs that have been helpful for you?

We've never spoken to a recruiter. I don't think there are Kaust-recruiters in Europe. Never heard of them. My husband traveled to KAUST in April. He was able to spend about 5 days at campus.  I'll send you some links by personal message.

the recruiter is not from KAUST but working for them.  It is for a staff, non-faculty position. 

Anyway, anything you can forward is very helpful and thank you again!

I know somebody who works there.  Housing for higher level administration seems to be very good but the complaint seems to be that the campus is about an hour's drive from Jeddah and, regarding working at the university ... well, it seems to be the same kind of frustration many of us face here in KSA.  However, for the $$$ you'll receive, I think you'll find it's well worth it :)

Best of luck.

PS.  And I do believe KAUST has been discussed at Dave's ESL Forum.

tmfuqu wrote:

Anything you can forward is very helpful...

Hmm... An Internet search using kaust blog brought up a few blogs.  One that seems recent is Claire's Ale (http://clairesale.com/).  I suggest reading through her blog first before contacting her about easy-to-find/general info (such as the cost of living in Saudi Arabia).  Plus, some of your questions are addressed on the KAUST website (http://www.kaust.edu.sa/employment/benefits/about.html).

thank you.  I have seen these.  I was hoping to find, and have not as yet, something more in depth specific to KAUST.  What is a good comparison of what i was hoping to find is the Aramco ExPat website.

tmfuqu wrote:

thank you.  I have seen these.  I was hoping to find, and have not as yet, something more in depth specific to KAUST.  What is a good comparison of what i was hoping to find is the Aramco ExPat website.

KAUST is only a few years old while Aramco has been around for a very long time.  I am sure this accounts for the disparity in available information.

My brother got a position at KAUST (working for Saudi Oger) from a UK recruitment company last summer, he's still there now. His accommodation is off site, so not permitted to join the activities/clubs on offer.  Will you be accommodated actually on site? KAUST has plenty of activities and clubs (photography, art, Arabic, hiking etc) available to those living on site. Large sports facilities, fast food places and a small supermarket.
Security is very tight, passes required for everyone entering and leaving and for your vehicle. You can use an International driving licence for a hire car without problem, fuel is CHEAP!
Does KAUST look after its employees? This of course depends on your expectation.
Hope this helps a little.
Fee

I've been at KAUST for a few months now and settling in well. I'll try and  answer some of your questions if I'm not too late.
Let me know if you're still considering coming here.
Good luck

Hi,
My husband was just interviewed on skype for KAUST.It was for a post doc position.
We just wanted to know if post docs were given housing and relocation allowance.
Thanks

docshock79 wrote:

Hi,
My husband was just interviewed on skype for KAUST.It was for a post doc position.
We just wanted to know if post docs were given housing and relocation allowance.
Thanks

As far as I know, every student and staff at KAUST are given accomodation within the campus. Not sure about relocation allowance.

Is post doc considered a student?

docshock79 wrote:

Is post doc considered a student?

Depends on what field and vacancy your husband applied for. I doubt if anyone can answer that question here. I'd think your husband would know that by now, after an interview.

Thanks for u're reply :)
He interviewed for a post doc position...
Another question i have is that, how much is the living expense at KAUST in regards to utilities and food?

docshock79 wrote:

Another question i have is that, how much is the living expense at KAUST in regards to utilities and food?

I can speak for students only. The accomodation comes fully-furnished with utilities included. Students also receive a monthly stipend that is enough to cover the expenses. The stipend depends on the level of study and ranges between USD20K and USD30K per year.
Also medical and dental insurance is covered.
Free education at KAUST schools for the student's children, if any.

I am sure there are better informed people in here that can speak for the staff at KAUST.

I also have been offered a healthcare position along with my wife
Wat r the opportunities ? For housing...they did mention we will be given on campus but we r both getting single contract? We have a daughter aged 3 and a half yrs she she entitled to school education there?

I can't add more words more than wot they have said , but let me tell you the conclusion about "KAUST" , its a total different environment and community than any place in the kingdom, where you can walk freely with out their traditional women black wearing "abaya" , women can ride a car and there will be a Cinema also , plus all the activities that our friends have informed you about , i am teaching there but only 2 times a week and i wish if i have time to participate.
so its a huge seaside compound after all, that provide any thing you need which is not available in any place in the kingdom.
so be glade , don't worry and have fun.

Hi Rex my query is about the accomodation facility as me and my husband are both offered single contract and we have a child will we be given family accomodation/ singles

Hello anybody going as a physical therapist position or do you know anybody who can give insight on the same

You will have to mention that you are a family and also provide them with the required papers to proceed in your family accommodation process and that's all, but you must act fast so they get informed and proceed on the right procedure.
best luck

Dr.Rex wrote:

You will have to mention that you are a family and also provide them with the required papers to proceed in your family accommodation process and that's all, but you must act fast so they get informed and proceed on the right procedure.
best luck

Thanks Rex for your prompt reply are u currently employed there are there any Indians on the campus?

docshock79 wrote:

Hi doc
Did you finish your interview n sign the job offer where are you relocating from....?

Hi,

I had an Interivew with KAUST on skype...and they said to send me an excel sheet along with my passport copy and proof of current employment.

1. How many days will they take to send the offer
2. What will be the next step

Kind regards
Vijay

Hi,

Can someone tell me ...how long KAUST takes to send the offer..and how long does visa process takes place.

Regards
Vijay

Can any one inform me how long it takes to receive a Skype interview call after phone interview

Hi Shiang,

An introduction and more information about the following information you are looking for. This might help. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Basic questions:
- are the living conditions nice (as solicited)
Yes but it's like an enclosed campus in the middle of a desert. The apartments and villas are luxurious but be prepared for all kinds of maintenance and repair jobs like water leaking through the ceiling and light bulbs popping.

- things to do?
Nothing much except a small beach and the gyms.

- how easy is it to travel?
For females, you have to be accompanied by a male to travel outside KAUST. To enter and exit Saudi, you need exit visas.

- safety;  possibly the #1 question
Not a concern in KAUST but could be a concern outside KAUST. Recall the MERS virus is always lurking around.

- Does KAUST look out for its employees?
Basically, it's a rich university but some of the employees are extremely inefficient, especially Finance and HR.

Yes, most people join KAUST because of the money.
Not a bad idea if you are willing to put up with loss of freedom and inefficiency in the Kingdom. A more insidious consequence of accepting a postdoc, scientist or faculty position in KAUST is that it will affect your career. Your future employers after KAUST will be inclined to think you accepted the KAUST position solely because of the money.

I hold a bachelor degree in electrical engineering from University of Engineering & Technology Lahore, Pakistan. GPA:3.341/4.000   TOEFL iBT:107/120     GRE not given yet
Lots of extracurricular achievements but no research publication yet.
I recently applied for MSc Electrical Eng program in KAUST. . Do I stand a chance?

no chance without the GRE!!

Hello David,

I got a job offer in Kaust as IT engineer.
I like the honest comments of yours as I am considering ver carefully to/not to migrate to Saudi early next year( just sign the offer letter).

I have another good offer in my country (not so good as Kaust but it is enough) and hope you can help to give an honest comments regarding life in Kaust. I have family with 2 kids (6y and 1y).

Is the life is so boring there?
How about outside life?
How about the heat/ sandstorm?
How about social life?
How about dealing with local Arabs and management of Kaust?

noxkrugger wrote:

Hello David,

I got a job offer in Kaust as IT engineer.
I like the honest comments of yours as I am considering ver carefully to/not to migrate to Saudi early next year( just sign the offer letter).

I have another good offer in my country (not so good as Kaust but it is enough) and hope you can help to give an honest comments regarding life in Kaust. I have family with 2 kids (6y and 1y).

Is the life is so boring there? KAUST has more western life than 95% of the rest of Saudi. There are cinemas, women can drive in the KAUST area, & be abaya free. KAUST is also has its own beach area.

How about outside life? Jeddah about 45 min away is a more open city in terms of Saudi culture, but women must wear abayas at all times in public and not allowed to drive. Read blogs by Susie of Arabia (she is a US expat based in Jeddah) for some decent information on the western side of KSA

How about the heat/ sandstorm? Heat think Las Vegas in the summer but for more like 9 months of the year & then add a high humidity (today is 35 Celcius but feels like 37...I think Jeddah has finally dipped down to the high 20s at night for the first time since March) There are not as many sandstorms as in Riyadh, but dust is always in the air.

How about social life? Depends on what kind you are looking for. Many are bored here.

How about dealing with local Arabs and management of Kaust?  Can't help you there as I am in Jeddah. Definitely start a new post asking about KAUST or go to Facebook and join a group called Susie of Arabia and ask.