ESL Job offer in Xuihu District

Hi all,

I am currently located in Suzhou, where I am working as a TEFL/ESL teacher. I have recently been offered a contract for a role in Shanghai in the Xuihu District (may have that spelt wrong).

My question is, is 9000RMB per month plus an additional 2500RMB a reasonable enough salary to life on in Shanghai. I know that Shanghai is considerably more expensive than that of Suzhou.

Any advice or assistance is gratefully appreciated.

Regards,
Cathal

Hello,

it depends on what kind of life do you want :)

That salary it's not bad, but not really high. If you share an apartment and cook at home it's ok ;)

I've heard that many other ESL teacher could also get a salary around 18000rmb

Maybe you can come here first and later look around :)

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking of the experience more so than the money, but perhaps I can negotiate a better deal.

I appreciate your response.

Cathal81

According to my opinion...teaching in China is always a nice experience :)

Wish you good luck

Yes indeed.... currently based in Suzhou, teaching a Middle School level and never been happier in a job, than I am now.

Yes indeed, private run, training centres generally pay in that salary range keren36. But they seek two years experience. I have only just 1 year experience.

While the salary is below my expectations of Shanghai, I have to look at the long term. Its an IB recognized school, pays 2 months summer vacation, and has smaller class sizes. I think I am onto a good thing.

The year after I can always seek a better paying role if I so wish.

Hi Cathal,
you certainly should be able to live on that salary level in Shanghai. I am used to prices in the UK and if I shop wisely, then food is not costly here compared to back home. The main consideration is rented accommodation which, as with every city, varies wildly in price, but it is plentyful at the moment!
Just to give you a breakdown of my personal monthly expenses:
Appartment (Shared) including Bills = 3500 RMB
Food/ Drink = 3000 RMB (includes eating out twice a week)
Train and Taxi = 1000 RMB
Best Wishes with your decision, look me up if you land here!
Del

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking forward to living and working in Shanghai from August onward. It really is a lovely city. I especially like the Bund area. I feel, once I am not eating out and going for beers all the time I can live a comfortable lifestyle.