FAO thebadrash

Hi!  Something's wrong with my private messaging.

Thanks for getting back. Looks like it's still go for moving. We've decided to move in September, coming over in July to look for a place to stay. We're getting pretty excited now - making all the necessary preparations. I think we've had most of our questions asked but I'm sure once we get there we'll have about a million more. For me, it was really about making some contacts over there so we don't feel like complete loners!

Now i need to get my finger out and learn the language. How did you get on with it? My French is decent enough and Ive heard that Spanish is simpler and that Catalan is a kind of Spanish/French hybrid. Any truth in this?

Cool, well, keep in touch and thanks again.

Cat and Neil.

Hi!

Re: the languages... I don't think that either language is necessarily simpler. But there's no question that Spanish would be more useful to you outside the Catalan speaking countries. With your French, you may feel a little more 'comfortable' with Catalan.

Personally, I love Catalan and find it to be softer and more 'musical' than Spanish (which has quite some influence from Arabic). But that's just my opinion!

My recommendation would be to learn Spanish intensively at first, but try to pick up the basic phrases in Catalan too. Eventually you'll get to a point where you're fairly comfortable moving between the two of them. If anyone tells you not to bother with either, don't listen to them: your comfort and happiness will be much richer here if you make the effort to have at least a passing knowledge of Catalan.

OK so it's all sounding a bit long winded now! Stick to Spanish for the moment (but learn the basic Bon día and Adéu stuff in Catalan).

And let us know when you arrive. I'm sure we could take you guys to a couple of nice bars or something.

Cheers,
Tom

The Catalan/Spanish dilemma must be a bit of a pain.  I used to live in Valencia before I got married but we moved to Andalucia partly because of the language issue.  We wanted kids (have 3 now so tick) and didn't want them confused by having English, Spanish and Valenciana to contend with.  But like anything you adapt I suppose.  I would prioritise Spanish though because it will be a more valuable asset for you long term.  Goof luck to both of you on your move.

Hi Cat!

I'm from Barcelona, right now living in Paris... but anyway I'm moving back again to Bcn in July-August! If you're visiting the city for a few days let me know I might now some people changing or leaving flats that could help you!
If you're comming in August you might see the "Festes de Gràcia" it's pretty cool! the pb is that is getting really crowded but still it's worth it!
If I'm there when you're coming I can show you around!

Cheers!
Laura

Thanks to everyone that posted back. Scotland has this thing where the government gives you £200 to learn anything you want so im away to sign up for some Spanish lessons.

I'd be so grateful to have people to meet up with once we get over. As I say, that's pretty much the only thing that's making me nervous. I'll put my email ad on cus it's easier. its [email protected]

keep in touch!