Motorbike driver license ?

I just wonder ; As an expat do you need to have motorbike driver license to ride them .. And where to get it ... If the police stop ... what do I need to do ? ...  Anyone have experience on this case please share ...

Thank you ... Daisy

This is procedure for changing driving licences as i know.

LIST OF DOCUMENT FOR CHANGING DRIVING LICENSE
1.        Fill in application form for exchange of driving license for foreigner only (Not sure where to get it, but try the place listed below)
2.        Driving license (translation to Vietnamese and notarized the translation)
3.        Passport copied (all pages relevant to vietnam and valid visa or resident card ) and bring original passport
4.        Driving license copied and bring original driving license
5.        4 picture 3x4 (white font)
6.   Recommend letter if other person to submit doc

Address to submit doc: Transport Department, 252 Ly Chinh Thang, Ward 9, District 3, HCMC

All covered here:
With links to the relevant forms and which offices you need to go to etc. :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=247975

Its a pretty easy process, I have done two of them with no problems. In other provences it can be different, I had my brothers license done in Ba Ria and it was a case of just giving the existing license and pictures to an agent and he did the rest, all comes down to how good a relationship they have with that department.

Somewhere in the earlier postings (go back a couple of pages at the most) is a really comprehensive guide on getting a motorbike license including the forms you need to fill out. Read that first and it will answer all of your queries.

You get your documents copied and translated at the ministry building on Le Duan opposite Diamond Plaza and then head down to Ly Tu Trong (on the corner with Pasteur as I remember)to get booked for your practical test. The ladies there do not speak a lot of English but are very helpful.

You can go to most peoples commitees ward head office, they should be able to translate.

Thank you for all information ...

Julesvn ... Do you know what the name of that office ? ... Your direction is find clear but with out the name I think is kind hard for me to look for it .... Would you  please let me know the name of that building .. And I did try to go back almost ten pages but still can't find the pages .... Anyway thank you for your information ;) ...

Daisy,

Laidbackfreak has posted the link to the post I was referring to a few spots above this reply. There are three links to different types of application. I am afraid I cannot remember the exact number (although I can remember there are three buildings with the same address). There is a big building and a smaller one to the right of it nearer the corner - the smaller building is the place. The correct address is on the forms in the previous post Lbf referred to.

In answer to your other question the police will stop you and extract money whether or not you have a license if you give them an excuse. I was "fined" 100000VND for not indicating before I had my license and 400000VND for taking an illegal left turn after I had a license. Touch wood I have yet to be stopped for no reason.

Do you need a licence if you are renting a bike? In terms of insurance?

Most insurance wont cover you, the agents dont care if you have a license, they just want your money

I was pulled over by the police on my 3rd day of riding (bad luck, no probs since) and he wanted 750 but we settled for 400. It was expensive but if you don't mind to haggle with the police it's OK. The scariest part for me is the insurance issue and the danger of riding here. If you do get a bike just try and be careful! :)

Did you do something wrong, or he was just after some happy money.

I have been pulled over numerous times, usually for the stupid"you crossed over the white line"scam. If they pull you over for nothing and then try and extort money, just take your phone out, look at the badge they wear and start saying their ID number in Vietnamese, they do a back flip real quick. If you do break the law, then its fair you are fined.

400K!!! HOW MUCH.....

Haggle with them but never pay more than 200k If they ask for paperwork tell them it's at home. I've been stopped 3-4 times (I forget now) but last time the first guy asked me for 500k I said no 200k, always 200k.. he walked off and his mate came over and asjed for 700k, I just burst out laughing and said the same 200k only. He settled on that after a minute or two.

Friend of mine takes out a 500k note and starts waving it around shouting "do you have change?" He says they soon back down on that too, I don't fancy trying that one though.

I never speak Vietnamese with them and have on occasion spoken to them in Spanish, that completely throws them and have sent em on my way.

You dont need to speak in Vietnamese, just say the numerals in Vietnamese does the trick. Yes the wave of money usually has them ducking for cover, they think they may be filmed taking it.

Hahahaha, this is great advice! Nope, nothing wrong! He was trying to say I was going 20km/h over the limit when I had just slowed down to go through the junction they were stood at. All my friends said it was too much, so now I know and next they won't get any more than 200 from me! I'll definitely have to try the phone thing and waving the money next time I'm inevitably pulled over. Great advice!

You just give them money, then you go, no problem

Great advice Rachel, that will really minimise the police corruption here. If people want to get rid of blatant corruption, dont do what Rachel said.

:D

We locals usually just give them 100K or 200K :o

My advice is that never brings a large amounts of money with you, this also helps to avoid the robbers. If you have to, put the money in some secret or hidden place in your pocket, just leave out the suitable amounts of money. Then if the police stop you, be calm, make the puppy face, intentionally show them your pocket, say that you only have this amounts of money and give them, they will take the money then let you go :o

- Thao

PhuongThaoTrinh wrote:

We locals usually just give them 100K or 200K :o

My advice is that never brings a large amounts of money with you, this also helps to avoid the robbers. If you have to, put the money in some secret or hidden place in your pocket, just leave out the suitable amounts of money. Then if the police stop you, be calm, make the puppy face, intentionally show them your pocket, say that you only have this amounts of money and give them, they will take the money then let you go :o

- Thao

Sush a helpful advice for me, thank you Thao :)

I went to ly Chinh thang, but they would not convert my old paper license.

I thought I saw someone offer to convert licenses under this thread, looks like it was removed, could that poster contact me so I can get mine converted, unless anyone else knows another place.

sygon wrote:

Did you have your original licence translated and the application forms filled in?
The links further up the thread will take you through the process. It's all straight forward as long as you follow the process correctly. I did it on my own and had no issues at all.

laidbackfreak wrote:
sygon wrote:

Did you have your original licence translated and the application forms filled in?
The links further up the thread will take you through the process. It's all straight forward as long as you follow the process correctly. I did it on my own and had no issues at all.

I meant to say that they would not translate my bike license, they were prepared to translate the license for driving a car, but not the full bike license I hold.  I don't recall the reason why, I do remember them saying they hadn't seen a paper license for a while, so maybe that's why.  It's still valid though.

Perhaps I'll try them again, it was a few months ago I tried.

You should take the license to a Peoples committee, they do them all the time, I didnt know that the license office did translation.

I'll give them a try, thanks.

Place on Le Duan did all my translation. As Colin says I didn't think the licence office did any translation?

There is also a really good translator on Dien Bien Phu Street just down from the eye hospital, I have had numerous documents done through them and they were excellent.

Further to my last post I got shaken down by a police roadblock last night. The crossing the white line scam (the reason I crossed the line was to get around the roadblock) They took my motorbike license and bike papers off me and demanded 600,000. Eventually settled for 200,000.

My fines so far:

Without license

With license

Yes they love that white line, no wonder they are not liked by the public.

Rachel Bowman wrote:

You just give them money, then you go, no problem

That right. Do you live in VN long time? your way like Vietnamese! Nice to meet you. How can I contact with you. Can we meet to drink and talk?

I am using motorbike since 2008 here. Within this period 3 or 4 times CGST stopped me. I do not have a VN license or converted one. Just one time paid 100 K for head light problem (It fused) when I drive it with wife. I am sure if she's not with me, I'll be graced by them like any other time.

The first thing the locals do is offer money, locals complain about corruption but they keep feeding it.

colinoscapee wrote:

The first thing the locals do is offer money, locals complain about corruption but they keep feeding it.

Of course, corruption start by citizens, all over the world! After that the blame officials.

Yes but some officals ask for it, so the process is made easier and they can buy more houses and cars.:D

Hi All, I currently have a car license only and have virtually no experience driving a bike.

so just to summarize my understanding if i want to get a license:
1) get my license translated
2) get passport/residence card
3) go register for a practical test
4) take the practical test in a NON automatic bike (can it be auto?)
5) pray i pass
6) get license

is there a person/agency who can help with all that translation/testing booking etc for a small fee?

thanks!

colinoscapee wrote:

Yes but some officals ask for it, so the process is made easier and they can buy more houses and cars.:D

What do commoners do if the "fence eat up the crops"?

Moet wrote:

Hi All, I currently have a car license only and have virtually no experience driving a bike.

so just to summarize my understanding if i want to get a license:
1) get my license translated
2) get passport/residence card
3) go register for a practical test
4) take the practical test in a NON automatic bike (can it be auto?)
5) pray i pass
6) get license

is there a person/agency who can help with all that translation/testing booking etc for a small fee?

thanks!

Moet There's a bunch of threads on the procedures that need to be followed but you'll more than likely have a few PM's shortly offering assistance before you have time to search . You've been in Vietnam long enough to watch out for the scams. I would like to congratulate you on doing the right thing in getting a bike license though. Too many folks take the caviler aptitude that it's not need here in Vietnam, and they can just buy their way out of problems when they come alone. Best of luck on the test.

Thanks budman! Yeah ...lots of scams here....alittle hard to navigate. Am hoping some good kind hearted fellow expats can point me in the right direction without scams!