Cost of living

My wife is moving to Muscat by sept2013. She has been offered RO1500 and has to manage accommodation on her own. IS this amount decent enough in present scenario to live a decent life. What is the initial amount required to settle here.

I think there is no activity recently on this blog

Hey Karn Kishore and welcome to the Forum :)

This issue have been discussed thoroughly on the Forum in previous post, kindly find below reference for your easy use.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139188

Furthermore, in general words I would say that yes, the money offered is good for a decent life in Oman, however this depends mainly on your lifestyle.

After reading the above post if you still have any concerns, do not hesitate to raise it here and I'm sure that the active members on the forum would be happy to share their thoughts and experiences with you.

Good Luck :)

Hi Vido
Thanks for your reply.

I had read almost all the post but if you see they are from 2012.
There would be certainly some changes in prices.
Since lot of thing have to be paid on annual basis i wanted to know what amount is required initially by the person to settle.
Can you help please.

karn kishore wrote:

Since lot of thing have to be paid on annual basis i wanted to know what amount is required initially by the person to settle.
Can you help please.

That's not totally true, you won't be required to pay on annual basis for a lot of things as you mentioned. If you are talking about accommodations!!! I would say, yes propably but this is not the rule here; it depends on the landlord or the real estate company you would be dealing with.

There are landlords who ask for a 12 Post dated advance cheques prior signing the lease agreement; others would ask for 4 quarters post dated advance cheques prior signing the lease. Others might ask for the afull nnual rent in advance of signing the lease agreement; So it depends!!!

You may get a decent 2 bedroom apartment starting from RO 300+, furniture have to be considered as well, as most of the apartments here are rented unfurnished.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks this was real help

Try this website as it gives cost of living for many countries and places around the world numbeo.com