Living costs in Croatia

Hi All,
I'm also thinking about moving from Hungary. I'm not sure about the destination but Croatia, Rijeka could be an option since I really like that place.
I'm Hungarian teaching English in a private kindergarten/school in Budapest now.
Could you tell me more about the living costs there and if there're English kindergartens or schools for young learners in Rijeka? I found some in Zagreb but would prefer a smaller place to live close to the sea :-)
Thank you very much,
Zita

Hi Zita,

Welcome to expat-blog,

please note that for better visibility, a new topic was created from your post on the Croatia forum. Hope this will help.

I suggest you to read this topic about Cost of living in Croatia. There are some interesting hints, that may grab your interest.

Best of luck :)

David.

I'm interested in the change in cost in Croatia now that the Euro has become Croatia's currency.  Are costs rising?  Thoughts of an extended trip or moving to Croatia depend on this.  Look forward to your thoughts.

Thank you!

Croatia has entered the EU but is not currently part of the eurozone currency.  We continue to use the Kuna and they have no immediate plans to switch this.  In fact, Croatia is in too much debt currently to even be considered.

Thanks so much for your respsonse. So, it seems that costs in Croatia will remain the same for food, housing, etc.  I was in Croatia 4 years ago for several months - any idea of increase since then?  At that time costs were similar to my part of the world - near San Francisco California.  Compared to Italy - the Euro this made it possible for me to stay for a while.  Thanks for any and all your thoughts and information.

Helena

In comparison to california, (I am also from the US) I would say cost of living and other costs (food, entertainment) is extremely cheap.  We live on just one salary here (including continuing to send back money to the US to cover student load payments) as I am unable to work as a foreigner. (My boyfriend is working at the medical school on an EU grant.)If you have any ambition to work here, it is extremely difficult to impossible unless you plan to start your own business. Fun place to visit, difficult to live when you break down the buracracy!

Thanks for the info.!  I stayed on Korcula for a few weeks so perhaps got tourist prices all along the way - hence my experience of prices, etc.  I'd love to have a ball park figure of monthly expenses.  Perhaps not so good to share on a public forum?  Overall do you like living in Split?

How are you finding living in Split?  Enjoying?  Are there many expats - English speakers?  I didn't find many on Korcula - kinda lonely.  I need to get out of the U.S.  too expensive - I'm living on Social Security and not makin' it here but I'm single and don't want to go nuts from not being able to communicate - have friends. 
\
Thanks again for any and all information!

Best,
Helena

Living costs in Croatia are very high! Even when 2 people are working, it is difficult to live normally.