Sewing stuff - needles - in HCM City?

Hi does anyone know where can I buy needles for sewing purposes in HCM City? thanks.

most mom and pop convenience stores will carry them in standard big and small sizes.

Hello, you are talking to expats. What is it called in Vietnamese and what is a mom and pop store. Back in Singapore, I know; here, I do not know.. thanks

Sweetpants wrote:

Hi does anyone know where can I buy needles for sewing purposes in HCM City? thanks.

Actually, what kind of needle do you need? Is it a hand sew or machine needle to fix in a sewing machine?

mom and pop = small business, i'm pretty sure it's standard english. so basically any small shops in your neighborhood, unless you're living in one of those fancy areas.

and these days, it's way easy to buy things even though you don't speak the language. how hard is it to pull up a google image photo on your phone and show it to the shop keeper?

Ngohly.  I do not own a iPhone. Anyway, is it called Kim khau?  In your language?

KIM-MAY-DO.

Sound that out and they should know.

You can buy in the market. Best way is you take a pic and bring to the market with you, will have somebody show you.

Good Luck

https://translate.google.com/#en/vi/needle
copy it down to a piece of paper
give to seller
problem solved
good luck
it's really easy and simple to buy things like this in Vietnam. most of the time they're available at your corner store or the local market

Thanks everyone. Yes, I managed to get the needles with help from my property agent. She's a great help.

sewing and fabric stuff, see this--
http://tnhvietnam.xemzi.com/en/aska/answers/qid/5057

im looking for supplies that one would find on a backpack--webbing, buckles, fabric, elastic and the like.

cvco wrote:

im looking for supplies that one would find on a backpack--webbing, buckles, fabric, elastic and the like.

The stronger needles you want for canvas, etc., along with thread, can be bought at DAN SINH MARKET. There are several entrances - the ONE YOU WANT is located at the intersection of YERSIN and NGUYEN CONG TRU.

Parking outside, against the road, then walk in the entrance keeping left. There are a few counters on the left. At the end of the counters, turn left and against the wall, opposite, is a guy who makes custom backpacks, repairs, etc. Given his prices it's likely cheaper to have do the work.

The counters thereabouts also sell straps, plastic buckles, etc.

If he can't help you, I know a street elsewhere where they make 'US Army' gear!

P.S. Needles, of the hand type, commonly come in 6 sizes, and are sold at markets all over, including Dan Sinh.

Don't know where Yersin is? Go to www.DiaDiem.com.

Thanks Jaitch. It may help if I explain why. Im a product designer in areas like furniture and lighting. Not an engineer but a designer. As side projects we make rifle slings for export/sale to US and elsewhere. Our slings and (coming) bags use all the materials one would find on a backpack. Part of my evaluation in figuring out if VN is a good place to live is the availability of a variety of parts so we can do our work without the constant need to import from China or Timbuktu as we do now. I dont care where a local supplier sources from but I need that local supplier. The production work is hard enough, i cant also source parts out in the world because thats a full time occupation by itself.

IT WOULD BE NICE if VN had its own industries for the making of backpack hardware but I dont think its so. There are foreigners operating factories in VN for the making of backpacks but I think the materials all come from the outside, despite that im constantly told how much Viets hate to import China goods and try to be self-sufficient.

Here in Malaysia parts are extremely hard to find, on the precipice of being impossible. Im evaluating VN on the basis of it being life and situation than I have now because here is the worst on the planet for work and business. Im lining up as many stops as possible in the areas of district tours, production parts, bikes, housing, company formation, visas, licences, food, etc and whiz through the trip. If nothing pans out, cool, but that why im coming and why im on this forum.

cvco wrote:

It may help if I explain why.

There is a bullet-proof/stab-proof manufacturer here who used special catches/buckles. They are all made in VN.

There are a couple of moulding plants, too, that can do piece parts.

As usual, you have to 'reverse engineer' the supply chain.

For example, I wanted to buy for items for our military robot section formed from polycarbonate. Instead of looking for moulders I started with tool-makers. In less than a day I had sourced what we needed.

You could do the same, there are relatively few tool and die shops here which makes the search easier.

Remember, VietNam is a more D-I-Y country than Malaysia, necessitated by the 25-year trade restriction imposition tried by the States. The Chinese part of HCM, ChoLon, has an amazing array of capabilities. They can even turn (lathe) a 30 centimetre diameter bar and turn it into a ships drive shaft! (On the sidewalk, yet).

The reluctance to import Chinese goods arises from the Chinese production model: junk or quality. If Cisco, IBM, et al can source high quality goods there, you can, too.

If price is your criterion, you can by junk quality.

The buyer is the determining factor. The occasional spats between VN and China are frequently settled over a plate of noodles, as is being attempted at this very minute with a visit to China by a dyed-in-the wool Communist from Ha Noi.

Jaitch, all good info and perspective, very appreciated.

I also need
machine shop
mouldmaker
3D scanning (has it arrived to VN yet?)
3D printing (maybe yes maybe no, depends how the 3D scanning goes)

Im reverse engineering several small parts and will modify them for our purposes. Scan, modify, mould, whip em out.

Good question--what is the perspective on Viets being asked for these things by foreigners, or parts, or special projects, or small sample jobs for that matter? Here in Malaysia, what Im used to is being told NO. Always NO. Nobody will tell you where to go, who to contact, how to solve anything. Why? Because if they cant sell it to you themselves, they call up a scorched earth policy to burn all the bridges around you so you cant buy at all. An example would be that you find a part from a retail supplier. First, they wont tell you who they buy from. Fine. But suppose you dont want that part that they sell but you do want the capability of that MFR to make something else for you. Because that retail supplier does not themselves stock that custom job you want, they angrily tell you NO. You tell them, look im not trying to circumvent you, you can even come to such a meeting and be the supplier of that custom work. "NO." I have NO IDEA why they do this. What good comes from it?

How does Vietnam compare?

I try to find something that Cvco want, but I didn't see it in Dân Sinh market:
http://www.chodansinh.net/company-all/0/1

and read here: http://www.citypassguide.com/vi/destina … o-chi-minh

But in the An Đông market sell fashion products like farbic, clothes... I tried to find English page, but I couldnt find any.
http://thuongmua.com/gioi-thieu/lay-si- … -dong.html

Address of An Đông market: 34-36 An Dương Vương, Ward 9, D5

There is another market that sells fashion product: Soái Kình Lâm market - 545 Trần Hưng Đạo, Ward 14, D5.

And Tân Bình market, it also sells fashion product: http://thuongmua.com/gioi-thieu/quan-ao … -binh.html

ngattt wrote:

I try to find something that Cvco want, but I didn't see it in Dân Sinh market:

THAT is why I gave the full directions!

Dan Sinh stall holders don't use the InterNet ... VNese who want something know what markets to use. Most of the adverts on that URL are for companies in other parts of the city.

cvco wrote:

I also need

machine shop YES
mouldmaker YES
3D scanning YES
3D printing (I know of only one)

Laser cutting YES

I find that sourcing vendors is the most time-consuming element of production here. However, once you have connections you are away.

ChoLon is the heart of industrial HCM. Busy, busy, busy. Whilst other parts of the city are thin on work ChoLon never stops.

The ethnic Chinese predominate in ChoLon and their business practices are different. They will help you source. Mien Phi! (no charge)

I don't hesitate to stop a freight carrier motorcycle on the street to ask where his load is from. They are happy, if bemused, to help.

I have waited outside retail vendors to follow their suppliers home to their store. Always keep a camera handy so you can take pictures of shipping materials and information.

My wife complains I am frustrating to ride with in the SUV - I often stop and nose around new areas to see what they are making. I use a video POV and often it takes an hours or more to transcribe my acquired information.

When I go shopping a store assistant might ask "What are you looking for?', I reply 'I'm  just shopping for ideas.'

Once you are here, you will develop your search skills. Sunday mornings are a good time - stores are open but not too busy.

where can I buy a sewing machine industry in HCMC and where I can buy fabric in bulk / wholesale hcmc

Ok in my searches i havent found either one but you would be interested in this Expo in Sai Gon in April. That Fair would cover machines and fabrics.
http://tofairs.com/expo.php?fair=102202

Brother makes industrial machines and has an office in Vietnam
http://welcome.brother.com/vn-vi.html

I have no idea what brands are available in Vietnam but thats a start.