Considering Job In Cairo

Hello...I'm considering taking a job in Cairo...but I have some concerns...I have two dogs and two cats...the cats are indoor and so are the dogs most of the time but they do like to play frisbee and go to the park...how is Cairo for that? And what is a comfortable salary for working in Cairo in US dollars? I've heard some people say that a family of four can live on $40K US and still have a maid and vacation in Italy...is this true? I've been to Egypt on a guided tour, but I didn't learn much about the local culture...I enjoyed the tour and think Cairo would be cool to live in for a few years...any input from anyone would be appreciated...

Thank you

it's $40k as in $40,000 US or if multiied by 5.3 for ' conversion, it is 212000 LE...sorry for the confusion

You can live very well on 40 K here.  Is your job going to give you a housing allowance or provide housing?

About the dogs, there is a park (more like playground/baseball field) at Victory College in Maadi that I have recently found out allows a place for dogs to play.  I have not personally tried this because my dog can't be off a leash or she will run away.  There is also a place called Wadi Degla which is just a 20 minute drive from Maadi where many people take their dogs to walk and run.  It is basically a protected area of the desert.  I think admission is about $5 and you can park outside the gate or drive your car in.  I have seen many people driving up and down the road with their dogs running behind the car.  If your dogs are ok off the leash this will be a good place for them to play frisbee.  But be aware that this place can get very busy especially on the weekends.  So there will be people and other dogs around.  It is a huge area though so it won't be hard to find a spot to yourself.  We take out dog there and walk her on the leash.  But if your dogs are ok off leashes with lots of stimulation around them it will be no problem.

There is also a group called Hash House Harriers which meets in the desert once a week and walks.  Lots of people bring their dogs to this as well.  There are several different sites that Hash House meets, but Wadi Degla is one of them.  You can see more about Hash House Harriers here on my blog: 
http://www.onefleetingglimpse.com/2009/ … riers.html

@1fleetingglimpse...thank you again for the info...it's really nice to get some info about such a crazy idea like relocating to Egypt. Yes, the job offer comes with housing...those pics on your blog are nice...looks like a real fun event...thanks again for the input

For anyone searching for information of moving a dog to Egypt from the US:

onefleetingglimpse.com/2010/02/moving-your-dog-to-egypt.html

@1fleetingglimps  I just read your post in depth and that was great...thank you for taking the time to do that...that was great...

Egypt is the best!

can you elaborate? What makes it the best?

We are also considering relocating to Cairo in the next month.  I am probably going to sound really dense here, but is that $40K per month or per year?  I'm trying to work out whether my husband's offer is a good one.  Thanks!

it's 40k a year in my post but the job I'm going for pays twice tha...i asked about 40k a year for budgeting purposes...best of luck to you

Good thinking!  Thank you, that's a big help for me to consider the info the others have posted for you.  I'm hoping that this time we'll be in a position to send money home... the last year in Dubai we've only just been breaking even :o/

40K per year is a very livable salary, especially if you have housing paid for also. As for whether or not it is a good offer, that depends on what you/your husband are making now. If you are making 30k in your home country, then yes, 40k to work in Egypt is a good offer. If you are making 60k, then no, it isn't.

40k per month = 480k per year. Uh, I would think that was a good salary anywhere in the world. :-)

Also, you didn't say what the job is - salaries for bankers are a bit different than salaries for journalists, etc. "Good" is a relative term.

As far as dogs in Egypt, you can check out www.cairopets.com for more information. 1fleetingglimpse is right though, not much in the way of dog runs in Cairo. Having a dog here is not impossible though, so don't think you have to leave the pets behind. Depending on your housing allowance, you may be able to afford a backyard. I brought my dog from the States.

As for household help:

Phillipino Maid = 350 USD full time per month.
Gardener = 80+ Egyptian pounds per day
Driver with own car = 3500 Egyptian pounds per month.

Also, the current exchange rate is 5.9, not 5.3. Keep this in mind when you are negotiating your contract. Additionally, you should put a currency protection clause in your contract. If you get paid in Egyptian pounds at a rate of 5.9 to the dollar, what happens if, suddenly, the rate drops to 12 LE to the dollar? Make sure you have a clause guaranteeing your exchange rate.

Egypt is great. I know lots of people who love it here, people who are raising families and single people. Egypt is great because the people are very friendly, it is an excellent cultural experience, and there are lots of fun things to do. Most western goods are available here, except pork (difficult to find).

Hope this helps.

40k net or gross? Salary taxes are high. Insentives are improtant too. As aLready mentioned by others take to considerations medical insurance, housing and so on. Location of your accomodation should be fairly close to the locaiton of your job. Traffic is really bad  inhere and can be pretty exhausting. Mind the annual increase too, inflation in Egypt has reached 18% at some point. I am a recruiter and know a lot about salaries here for locals and expats. I could tell more if I knew what's the job.