Looking to move to Shenzhen area, but employment a key

Hello all,

I'm a US citizen but for various reasons would very much like to move to Shenzhen area.  I'm in my 50s but unlike many I would not be going there to retire but instead would need to work.  I am interested in meeting a nice lady there and to combine our incomes for a comfortable lifestyle.  I have a MA and understand that there are English teaching positions that may not require knowledge of Chinese (I don't speak Chinese).  I don't know if any work in the business development area is a reality there, but that is the nature of my work here in the US. I should mention I have a good bit of experience teaching but not English and usually in technical workshops.

I look forward to any information or insights any of you might provide.

Best
Paul

Paul,

Are you now in the US or in Shenzhen?
A English- teaching position is very easy for you in any city of China and the salary is mostly decent.
For Business development kind of job, you can work in Multinational companies here, because the majority of marketing jobs require you to be able to speak Chinese..

Or you can think about starting your own workshop/ business. There is lots of opportunities in this city.

Good luck
Adam

Gotta agree with everything Adam wrote...

Teaching positions are extremely numerous and you can find more work here as an English teacher than you have time for lol! If I wanted I could teach english day and night 24/7 and I'm also pushing 50...
BTW... being 50ish and not looking it is a curse here lol! There's no lack of interested women if you're interested in 20~30 old girls. The average age of Shenzhen is mid-20s to 30s and I heard a recent study that the ratio of women to men in SZ is 7:1 Scary!

If you want to integrate slowly in SZ or China for that matter... stay in the Shekou area of Nanshan, Shenzhen. It's fairly western... lots of products and services can be had and there is some basic english communication possibilities.

Kris

Yes, Kris.
Totally.

It's not so advisable for Paul to join those tech company to compete with these young people tho..He is here to enjoy life so need to go slow. Shekou is the place to be.

Most people on this blog live in shekou i guess..

Adam

Hey I am 46, count me in. Would teach English all day!. Then stop for tea breaks..:)