Update from Frommers Travel Blog re Libya

A friend who teaches history and has made it a goal to visit every country in the world and share with his middle school students is trying to come visit.  He just sent me the blog  link below in light of his difficulties coming to see us here.

He was so excited to think that he'd be able to come here and save some expenses with us here (he is a public school teacher afterall and this goal of his is a challenge financially). 

So now it's looking like he won't make it here at Easter as we'd hoped.  at least not in the very tight window he has at

http://www.frommers.com/blog/?plckContr … d=blogDest

Libya Has Suspended Virtually All Tourism From Western Europe, And The Rest of Us Should Voluntarily Accept That Ban
Posted by Arthur Frommer at 2/19/2010 11:35 AM EST 

I have often felt that anyone contemplating a visit to Libya should have their heads examined. This, after all, is the country that sentenced several Bulgarian nurses to execution -- and kept them on "death row" for several years -- for alleged having deliberately killed several Libyan children in their charge. The accusations were so absurd and illogical as to warrant total condemnation, and yet it was only after millions of dollars were paid to Libya in tribute that the nurses were freed.

This is also the nation whose ruler, Muammar Qhaddafi, paid compensation for having blown up a Pan Am flight over Scotland, causing the death of two hundred passengers.

It was after that apology that Libya was re-admitted to the family of nations, and all sorts of tour operators and cruise lines immediately scheduled visits to or cruise stops at Libya (provided, of course, that none of their passengers had Israeli visas in their passports -- another regulation of Libya).

Now Libya has, according to reports, cancelled all visas issued to citizens of several European countries, and refused to issue additional visas, in retaliation for criminal charges brought against one of the sons of Qhaddafi for having beaten up several of his servants while on vacation in a Swiss hotel. Because other European countries sided with Switzerland in the matter, their citizens have now been jointly banned, with Swiss citizens, from visiting Libya. Other nations, anxious to keep receiving Libyan oil, have rushed to assure Libya that they are not sympathetic to the Swiss judicial authorities who brought those charges against the Libyan playboy prince.

Well, guess what? None of us should be contributing a penny to Libya by visiting its shores. All of us should regard it as a pariah among nations, and should yearn for the day when it will enjoy a democratic government of civilized officials.

justice4pal wrote:

A friend who teaches history and has made it a goal to visit every country in the world and share with his middle school students is trying to come visit.  He just sent me the blog  link below in light of his difficulties coming to see us here.

i want write my point of view in this topic ,please don't get me wrong
as for your friend will get visa  after checking id its normal and he welcomed in Libya .
like American embassy they don't give visa  unless checking id maybe who want to go to USA  want to blown up tower or want kill someone.
i mean every country has visa procedures

the problem of  Bulgarian nurses its solved by agreement

Libya Has Suspended Virtually All Tourism From Western Europe, And The Rest of Us Should Voluntarily Accept That Ban
Posted by Arthur Frommer at 2/19/2010 11:35 AM EST
each country has a policy 

I have often felt that anyone contemplating a visit to Libya should have their heads examined.
i agree with him because we are different in language ,culture and traditions

This is also the nation whose ruler, Muammar Qhaddafi, paid compensation for having blown up a Pan Am flight over Scotland, causing the death of two hundred passengers.
It was after that apology that Libya was re-admitted to the family of nations,
Yesterday's enemy a friend today why.............put two lines under this ?

and all sorts of tour operators and cruise lines immediately scheduled visits to or cruise stops at Libya (provided, of course, that none of their passengers had Israeli visas in their passports -- another regulation of Libya).
have you seen on TV what happened in Dubai

Now Libya has, according to reports, cancelled all visas issued to citizens of several European countries, and refused to issue additional visas, in retaliation for criminal charges brought against one of the sons of Qhaddafi for having beaten up several of his servants while on vacation in a Swiss hotel. Because other European countries sided with Switzerland in the matter, their citizens have now been jointly banned, with Swiss citizens, from visiting Libya. Other nations, anxious to keep receiving Libyan oil, have rushed to assure Libya that they are not sympathetic to the Swiss judicial authorities who brought those charges against the Libyan playboy prince.

this is family problem  (the Affected go to law)

Well, guess what? None of us should be contributing a penny to Libya by visiting its shores. All of us should regard it as a pariah among nations, and should yearn for the day when it will enjoy a democratic government of civilized officials.

no one hit them their hand's to visit Libya i mean no one push anyone to visit libya

[b]Capitalized are ruling the world

i wish my comments do not bother you [/b]

justice4pal wrote:

He was so excited to think that he'd be able to come here and save some expenses with us here (he is a public school teacher afterall and this goal of his is a challenge financially). 

So now it's looking like he won't make it here at Easter as we'd hoped.  at least not in the very tight window he has at

I hope your friend makes it to Libya within the timeframe available to him.

I am confident that once he is in Libya, he will be in a position to see the positive side of our beautiful country.
Please extend my greetings to your friend and my wish for him to persevere with his admirable quest.

Regards
EL

When is a ban not a ban?

This idiot continues to spout his anti-western, anti-foreigner vitriol, threatens site members and what do the admin do?

Someone needs to get their act together here! :mad:

Sandman6 wrote:

When is a ban not a ban?

This idiot continues to spout his anti-western, anti-foreigner vitriol, threatens site members and what do the admin do?

Someone needs to get their act together here! :mad:

I am not here to defend anybody. But I guess the admin is fully aware of what is going on and their opinion may not be in the favor of what you said. In addition.. We could not see any signs of anti-western or anti-foreigner vitriols or threats to the site members...

All what he did ,, he was commenting on the article and I think it is his right to do so.    I think we should show some democracy here and adopt something called (the Opinion and The other opinion) ,, and I think that what was the west wenging about for many years... They led even wars (Civilians were killed) to spread democracy..

All in all guys.. I think this stand should not be for politics ,, it should be only for the Libya day-to-day living stories and disscusions.....  We got the admin to say something.

Sandman6 wrote:

When is a ban not a ban?

The ban was a warning. Next time the account will be deleted.

Doctor X wrote:

All what he did ,, he was commenting on the article and I think it is his right to do so.

That's what I thought. The Expat.com team keeps an eye on the discussions.

Doctor X wrote:

All in all guys.. I think this stand should not be for politics ,, it should be only for the Libya day-to-day living stories and disscusions.....  We got the admin to say something.

Yes indeed, politics are not welcome on this forum...

Julien wrote:

Yes indeed, politics are not welcome on this forum...

I don't wish to sound pedantic but what is this?

osama wrote:

Capitalized are ruling the world

i wish my comments do not bother you [/b]

this discussion is getting more and more :offtopic: please concentrate on the initial topic

(moderated: you are off topic)
Next time i'll close the discussion
Christine

(moderated: you are off topic)
Next time i'll close the discussion.
Christine

I would like to suggest that people actually watch the 'whole and literal' translation on what the Colonel said, he has NOT and WILL NOT ask for violenece in any way shape or form against the Swiss, I had this very discussion last night (albeit p1ssed) . Toys out of the pram, but in a way I understand, how one persons being a total tw@t can lead to a further 180 + people being put on a banning order is beyond me. I don't condone what happened, but IMO it is a massive over reaction not just from Libya but from the Swiss.

Clansman wrote:

it is a massive over reaction not just from Libya but from the Swiss.

I completely agree with you. When Hannibal the Animal slapped his missus around in Claridges hotel in London last Christmas Eve, the police were called to investigate. It ended up with the fool claiming diplomatic immunity (confirmed by a phone call to the Libyan ambassador) and he left the country with no further action. Three of his bodyguards (apparently carrying firearms) were arrested for obstructing police but were all later released without charge. Didn't say if plod gave them their guns back :/

The whole episode was hush hushed by the Foreign Office.