Mosquitoes in Well

I use well water for watering the garden. At the moment I don't have a pump so it is the traditional bucket on a chain arrangement. I was drawing water this way yesterday evening to do some watering and hundreds of mosquitoes came up with the bucket each time. I'm wondering if there is some kind of pesticide I can put in the well water to kill the larvae?

fidobsa wrote:

... kill the larvae?

Frogs might work and be natural although they'd want somewhere to rest like a rock above the surface of the water.

The way it was done in Panama (when they built the canal) was to spray the surface with oil to prevent the larvae emerging. This isn't exactly healthy but maybe there's a modern equivalent like a natural oil (vegetable based) which would float on the surface and prevent them escaping. The problem is standing water really - old car tyres are particularly a place they like. Rivers and moving streams don't have mosquito infestations.

You could also try and fit a cover to stop them getting in there in the first place.

Mosquitos are a right nuisance in this hot weather and they've come early now we are having a heatwave. I was building a chicken coop yesterday and I was beseiged by the blighters towards the evening.

fluffy2560 wrote:
fidobsa wrote:

... kill the larvae?

Frogs might work and be natural although they'd want somewhere to rest like a rock above the surface of the water.

The surface of the water is about 5 metres down at the moment and it will drop lower over the summer. Frogs are good at jumping but not that good!

First, you should cover the well with a tarp or similar barrier to prevent mosquitoes from entering and laying eggs in the first place. Tie it down and around the water source with bungee cords to make a tight seal. Prevention is always the best overall solution

If you already have a mosquito infestation, get some small fish (ideally Mosquitofish) and throw them down the well. They will eat the existing larva.

You can also get Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis and Bacillus sphaericus and put these in the water. These are natural bacteria that will also kill the larva but not affect your use for irrigation of your plants.

Chemicals like Pyrethrin can be used to kill adults, but these are potential carcinogens, I would not use them. Methoprene can be put into the water to kill the larva, but while there is no known current affect to animals or plants with Methoprene the biotic solutions are probably overall safer.

But also remember, whatever you put into the water, you will be adding to the entire water source/aquifer. Your neighbors may not want chemicals/bacteria/fish droppings in their water. Which is why the barrier (first option) is the best.