The life in Qatar for expatriates......

It is about 5:30 in the morning and I'm getting up from my bed to prepare myself to work.

I take shower, eat my breakfast and hit the road. I live in Wakra and my work place is in Industrial Area which is about 20 km drive. It takes me more than 40 minutes to reach due to heavy traffic that I find on the road. The traffic jam here in Doha is getting worse everyday. More and more cars are poured onto the roads while expansion is a bit slow.

At work, I would say is better compared to where I come from. The environment is better and people are friendlier. However, I feel sorry for those working on construction sites, with the harsh weather conditions in Qatar, it is very difficult.

During winter it is very cold, temperatures may not drop as much, like 11 degrees Celsius but you can't imagine how cold it is while during summer, gosh, it is as hot as oven, temperatures rises to more than 48 degrees Celsius.

The country is named as the richest in the world with PPP of about $ 130K but the average salaries are far less than you can wish for except for some few lucky ones especially western people whose salaries can reach up to $ 5000 with no tax while Nepalis gets between $ 200 to $ 800 only.

Social life is a bit tricky as well. Most people here don't have social life. Weekends are mostly spent on Shopping Malls and few on clubs or hotels. There are some desert sports if you are into adventurous but all these activities requires money. Since most people salaries are small, it is difficult for them to have fun as it cost much. 

In general, expatriates life here in Qatar is mostly about work and sending money home to their families, don't expect much!

This is my personal experience....everyone will have different not necessarily the same!. Thanks

I agree with you about the construction sites workers, and yes we only have weekends that we spend in restaurants and coffee shops, some go to malls and the others to the cinema.

Hi, and thank you for your thoughts,

About the weather am quite used to it, living in Dubai for almost two years now

I would like to ask you, how could my life be with 12000QR + company car provided (I have an offer) or should I stay in Dubai? at least here we have social life, and places to go, see, enjoy with lot less money

Thank you in advance

V.

Hi Kosovar2015 > you might not get a reply as this thread is inactive since 2013.

u said it all dude, this is how our lives are lol