What is the benefit of EP in singapore???

Hello friends,

I am coming Singapore next week with holding an EP to work with a small IT based company. They offered me 2 year's work with them. And they also manged an EP for me. I have some questions, if anybody help me then this will be a great help to me-

1. My employer told me they will give me a tourist visa to come Singapore first then after submit EP letter and other doc. to MOM-Singapore they will give me 2 yr's permit visa. Is that right procedure?

2. What is the benefit of EP in Singapore? Is it possible to get PR after 2-3 year's?

3. Can my parents come and stay for month with me if i have an EP?

Thanks in advance all, I hope i will get some good friends there too. :)

1. Getting an EP is difficult nowadays. Before it is granted you can NOT start work (don't even think about it!). So what is the point of coming to Singapore on a tourist visa (SVP) during that time and (if EP is rejected) returning home empty-handed?
Instead, the company should apply for the EP first and you should travel to Singapore only once it is approved.

2. The main benefit of an EP is the right to work in Singapore (though only at the company it is approved for).
To become PR, you must show that you want to reside permanently in Singapore and positively contribute to its economy and society. You can apply after three years on EP, but depending on your personal circumstances it might still be rejected. It is currently very difficult for ethnic Indians to become PR. Applying as family (preferably with a boy, who is then liable for military service) increases your chances.

3. They can apply for an SVP on their own merit (or just come if their nationality is eligible for visa-on-arrival). Multiple visits within a year on SVP will probably not be allowed.
You can only sponsor your parents for a long-term visa if your salary exceeds S$8000/month (P1 EP).

hi hatiar,

first off let me congratulate you on your upcoming post to singapore - i am certain you will love it!  In a nutshell, you MUST have an e/p to work in singapore!!

i cannot overemphasise the importance of getting your papers in order before you arrive here, particularly if you are traveling with your family.  you can travel to singapore on a tourist visa but you cannot perform any services and receive payment in kind until you have your e/p.  failure to comply is illegal and could result in your deportation and a massive fine for your company (and maybe you too). 

Ideally your company will provide you with a letter from the MOM identifying you, your role, company, ...etc that you will present to the immigartion officer on arrival. 

E/P not only has lots of benefits but it's critical if you want to open bank account, apply for credit card, rent an apartment, phone/cable contract, work ...etc.  the benefit is that you're on an integrated system that lets you pay taxes and promptly resolve immigration issues.  you'll be able to use the biometric track at immigration and sponsor family and friends in singapore. 

Hope this helps!!

Dear Frazzla/ Beppi,
Thanks a lot for your information.
I am sorry i couldn't make you understand. My question was that-

** I already got EP approved letter. But my employer managing a tourist visa first to enter Singapore. Then after arrived there they will show me my EP approved letter and other docs to MOM of Singapore. After that they will give me the job permit for the year's which they have mentioned on EP application.

I wanted to know- is there any problem after arrived singapore with a tourist visa then show EP approval letter to MOM and getting work permit visa??

I hope this time you clear buddy? :)

Also thanks to Beppi too for his sharp advise....Please help me regarding this issue.

So, the employer already HAS the EP "in principle approval" (IPA) letter?
Ask them to send it to you, because it IS your visa to enter Singapore!
There is no need to come on a tourist visa if you already have the IPA.

Remark: It is called "in principle approval" (IPA) because you still need to pass a medical check after arrival and before you get the proper EP (and can then start work). The medical check is usually a formality, unless you have AIDS, TBC or some other disease.

Dear Mr. Beppi,

Thanks a lot for your advise and suggestion regarding EP and other. Yes i got the IPA letter copy. Even my employer is managing another tourist visa for me too beside this EP. On the EP approved letter there is written text like this-

"We are pleased to inform you that your EP has been approved. We look forward to welcoming you to Singapore.
This letter serves as a single journey visa to enter Singapore. You need to show the entire letter to immigration."

As I said, you can enter Singapore with that letter - there is no need for an additional tourist visa.

beppi wrote:

As I said, you can enter Singapore with that letter - there is no need for an additional tourist visa.

Dear Beppi,

Thanks again for your suggestion. But for more secure in the immigration of my country beside this IPA letter, is there any problem if i take a tourist visa?

Already solved my questionnaires by you, now the turn to give you a big thanks. :)

Hi Beppi...I have read your all advices.I am still in pending appeal and my husband got EP.I want to know how long it will take to apply PR under employment pass.I know it very difficult.we both have degrees.Please  advice us.thanks a lot!

To have a chance for a PR, apply after having lived and worked in Singapore for at leat three years. To improve your chances, ou should also show commitment or benefit to Singapore in other ways, e.g. by having a high salary (>S$8000) or a son who will do National Service).
After applying, it will take 6-12 months to be approved or rejected. So about 4 years after getting your EP is the earliest you can realistically become PR.
Applying earlier is a waste of time (sure to be rejected), applying a few years later will increase your chances.

Thanks so much friend.My husband got Q1 pass.My appeal also rejected now.How ever I will try to get pass.are they rejecting the dependent pass also?I like to apply e pass rather than applying dependent pass.thanks a lot!

A DP (dependents pass) requires a minimum salary of S$4000 for the sponsoring EP holder. If that is met, it is usually given.
A DP holder can apply for an LoC (Letter of Consent) from MoM, which allows him/her to work. Most employers don't know about this possibility, so if you have a DP you would have to tell them about it. LoC is easier to get than EP, but it can be rejected (e.g. if the job is not open to foreigners, etc.).

thank you so much.I will try .thanks again!