Things to pack before moving...

Hey guys!
Just thinking about some things I will need before Ii move to Bangkok, as I always have the problem of forgetting something important [doesn't everyone?]
I know there is practically everything I'll need in Bangkok if i do forget anything, but I'd prefer to remember, save having to spend more money, and have the time to get these items.

just wondering if there are any suggestions of things I should definitely take [aside from the obvious eg. underwear, clothes etc.] and any suggestions of things I should take that you've found handy while flying, living etc?

*side note: I will only need to pack for myself, and I'm hoping to rent a fully furnished place once I am there.

You can get almost anything here. Just bring money and your basic needs and that's it.

Hi there,

I'm french and i'm gonna leave for Bkk in two weeks !!
We find a fully furnished in Sukhumvit 77, in a condo with fitness and pool for 7000 thb / month.

I just reader your other post ... i guess it's to much early for searching apartment now !!
But when it'll be time, feel free to contact me, i'll be glad to help you !

About stuff to bring in your luggage ...i'm looking my luggage, and i've only clothes and my most important document !
After, everything's cheaper there !! :)

Ps : i lived in Melbourne fora while ... it's also a beautiful city !!

Enjoy mate ;)

Shoes, underwear, socks.  All very bad material in Thailand.  As a woman you'll probably find shoes you like, as a man with size 11, the quality is horrible and size hard to find.  There are mainstream stores like Bata etc but they are just as expensive as back home and have less of a selection.

Socks and underwear, no kidding, pack extra...   Very bad quality.

What To Bring
Vaccinations vary from country to country.  You should consult with your local doctor before travelling.
If on medication, you should have ample supply, it may be very difficult to purchase in Asia.
Suitable clothing for participation, Asia is a conservative continent.  When visiting religious site, you have to cover up. Volunteering in school, no see through clothing & low cut tops or very short shorts.
Suitcase or backpack.  As the saying goes, what you bring is what you carry.  Travel light.
Passport & photocopies (keep separate),  passport photos x4
Visa (if required); check the Embassy website for details.
International adapter
Camera
Mosquito repellant
Sun Cream
Photos of your family & friends
Flashlight
Mosquito net  (not always required)
Spending money for souvenirs (you can obtain money in most country at the ATM), but always good to bring a small amount with you.  As sometimes your ATM will be blocked by your bank, So make sure you let the bank know that you will be using your card at oversea then your card will be not blocked.

suerte007 wrote:

What To Bring
Vaccinations vary from country to country.  You should consult with your local doctor before travelling.
If on medication, you should have ample supply, it may be very difficult to purchase in Asia.
Suitable clothing for participation, Asia is a conservative continent.  When visiting religious site, you have to cover up. Volunteering in school, no see through clothing & low cut tops or very short shorts.
Suitcase or backpack.  As the saying goes, what you bring is what you carry.  Travel light.
Passport & photocopies (keep separate),  passport photos x4
Visa (if required); check the Embassy website for details.
International adapter
Camera
Mosquito repellant
Sun Cream
Photos of your family & friends
Flashlight
Mosquito net  (not always required)
Spending money for souvenirs (you can obtain money in most country at the ATM), but always good to bring a small amount with you.  As sometimes your ATM will be blocked by your bank, So make sure you let the bank know that you will be using your card at oversea then your card will be not blocked.

Most of the above things in your list can easily be purchased here or are unnecessary.

Bring photos of your friends and family in your phone.

A mosquito net is not needed in most places, including Bangkok.

Mosquito repellent - definitely not needed in many places.

Sun cream - if you're going to the beach or going to spend quite a bit of time outside, buy it here.

ForexTaurus wrote:

Shoes, underwear, socks.  All very bad material in Thailand.  As a woman you'll probably find shoes you like, as a man with size 11, the quality is horrible and size hard to find.  There are mainstream stores like Bata etc but they are just as expensive as back home and have less of a selection.

Socks and underwear, no kidding, pack extra...   Very bad quality.

Go to quality stores and you'll find name brands and the quality is fine. Buy them from Mom and Pop shops or at Tesco Lotus and you get what you pay for.

Dear all,

Please note that some posts have been removed from this thread due to the use of foul language.

Thank you,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

We've lived here for a couple years. You can buy almost everything here! I'd come with less, makes for easy travel later on and more space for souvenir collecting. Unless you are freakishly tall or something you can just come with the necessities :)

May i know the name of the condo

vaccinations, i got tetanus(I think the English word is for it) 10 years, and twinrix (Hepatit A+B) for liver. 20 years.
That what my Danish doctor say i need.

Check your insurance company what and how long the cover you.
Mine Danish company only cover accident insurance when "MOVE" to other country for 1 year.
So if you not cover, buy one here in Thailand.

Take you birth certificate with you, family picture and stuff, maybe on a usb, I like Real picture my self, so that what i bring here.

If you take Vitamins and calcium, bring that all so, for me this is very expensive here, Vs my country.
And take me some time to find the "Right" one here in Thailand.

Some cloth to get you start here, rest buy here, Thailand have what you going to need.
I find the cloth here to be good, my friends from back home when come here, all so like it, and make me buy and send home to them a few time a year, special the women want cloth from Thailand for them self and there kids.

Some item here can take time to find, but now i have no problem.
I use big size shoes size 16 here, 48 back in Denmark, and i think that size 13 in US, and no problem to find here.

I hope you have a great time move here, it is a great country to live in.

Kindly.