Moving to Mauritius in a few weeks - language and business

Dear all,
I have been reading many of the conversations here and found a lot of interesting/useful information.
Since I am becoming serious about moving to Mauritius, I'll ask a few more questions ... thanks so much ...
I will be there in a few weeks, and the plan is to apply for a self-employed occupation permit.
I talked with the people at the BOI, and they are encouraging me.

I will be working with my international clients, and with local businesses.
How important is it to speak French to do businesses in Mauritius?
I am Italian and learning French, but I am a bit funny at the moment with my French, and people might not be patient enough to bear with me.

Or would you say that people in business like to speak English? What do you think?
What else would you recommend I pay attention to while I'm preparing?

Many many thanks!

Hi...

The language all depends on the people with whom you do business.

However, the official and administrative language of Mauritius is English and irrespective of the people you deal with, you will have to manage your stuff in English...applications, permits, paperwork, reports, contracts, legal and logistic guidelines etc will be in English.

However, to live in Mauritius, you need to have an iota of French as it is the most common language in the Media (written and spoken) and the second most popular after Mauritian Creole for general conversation.

Other stuff you must take into consideration before taking the plunge is the cost of living, accommodation, general expenditures, the legal structure for business, etc. You will find most of these information on the blog itself and should you have any query, we will provide you with the best possible tips.

Best of luck on your new Mauritian venture!

Kaviraj,
... I get it, I will work on my French.

As to the rest, I've read a lot of things here and in other places, enough to make the decision. It's been very useful, but nothing is worth the real experience in Mauritius.
And I am very much looking forward to it!

Merci beaucoup! I will actually need some luck :)

Hi

I am Mauritian being away for 25yrs and have problem with my French. Mauritian in general are very kind and would help and support you. What type of business you thinking of doing? 

Don't forget that English is the national language here, don't think you will have any problem. You will learn very quick.

Best Regards and Good Luck
Rajiv

Rajiv,
that's reassuring ... even if surely my French is not any close to how you can speak ... but like you say I'll learn ... I enjoy conversation!

All the best.