Secondary schools?

We will be moving to Malta over the summer month and bring with us a 14 year old girl, whose only language is English.

We haven't decided where we want to live, we are more thinking of finding a school first and then finding a house in the that catchment area.  Are the catchment areas flexible or quite rigid? Does anyone have any recommendations for areas or school?

I did read that in order to register your child for school, a residency card/ID card was needed, however, there has been a law change and now I will need.  I understand that it is taking months to get an appointment.  Will this affect the process?  Can anyone advise me on this?

I do have lots more questions that I will post later... thank you in advance for your consideration :D

I think you only need a e-residence card if you want your daughter to go to a Maltese school.
If you go to a private school, you do not need this.
I just registered our daughter at Verdala International School. No e-residence card required.

I hope you find a good school for her.

Thanks for your response.

We will be looking at state school, so will need the eresidence.  Thanks :D

hello,
my son attends st claire government school in pembroke and the id at the time was required....one of my friends in fact wanted to register her son and was asked to get id sorted first. The catchment aerea for st claire is very rigid , they would tell you where to live in order to belong to their school.
If you need more info just contact me.
Giuseppina

Thank you Giuseppina... I have just looked at St Catherine's website and sent them a message.

If the website is anything to go by, it looks a very good school :D

FYI
Basically, this is what you will need to in order to register your child ar school
A confirmation of an appointment from the Citizenship in Valleta. As long as you have an appointment booked, that will be     enough;
Your child's birth certificate (translated in English);
Copy of your tenancy agreement;
Copy of your child's passport;
Your child's health certificate. You will need to get this from Qormi Heath Centre (tel: 2148 4453), a village near Valleta.
and you can get it for free from 8am-1pm Monday to Friday.

Starting school in another EU country - As EU citizens, your children are entitled to attend school in any EU country under the     same conditions as nationals of that country. They have the right to be placed in a class with their own age group, at the     equivalent level to their class in your country of origin – regardless of their language level.

If you are an EU national migrating to another EU country for work, your children are entitled under EU law to receive free     language tuition in your new home country to help them adapt to the school system there.

Source: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/ed … dex_en.htm

Awesome reply.. everything I needed, thanks toon!

:D

Am not sure what the position is at the moment regarding parent teacher meetings - I am told they are conducted solely in Maltese. Not sure if they are available in English.  I am awaiting a reply from the director of the education authorities. Cant really see it being a problem as usually teachers are very helpful and a polite ask is all that is required.

Hello to all,
Can anyone just tell me which secondary school has the reputation of being 'the best' in Malta at the moment? 
By 'secondary' school, I mean middle and high school, as in, any school from 11 years upwards. 
Can anyone also tell me what reputation St Edwards has? 
Thanks for advice...

We are a British family hoping to move to Malta in November 2013.  Can anyone let me know the cost of school fees?  I have read the thread and the last comment given regarding the cost of schools was in 2011, have the cost risen?  Also, is there a school that anyone can recommend, my daughters are 10 and 12.  Many thanks

Verdala will be approximately 10.000 euros for the first year.
8.000 for the next years. Per child...

Wow!! Thanks is a LOT more than I was hoping it would be.  Do you know if the QSI programme is cheaper?

I think the government schools are of a very good standard, far better than UK schools in the level of education.

Thanks for that, the only problem is the language barrier.  Are there any English taught schools at a reasonable cost?  I have waded through the list of English schools from the Wikipedia website and I didn't have any joy in finding out fees ..

English is taught better here than in England. There is equal weighting in the two languages. There are extra lessons given in support for all students. Maltese, Religion (which you can opt out of) and social studies/History is taught only in Maltese, but you can opt for the exams to be taken in English. My 13 year old sister, was lost in her English classes when she first arrived as she was way behind!!
It would be easier in a school, nearer to an expat community or a more English speaking town (Sliema/St. Paul's Bay etc.)
There really is no need, in my opinion, to put into a private school, just because of the language. Yes the kids can get lost now and again but they learn fast....If you're planning on staying here for long, then they really need to learn Maltese.

Sliema is where we are hoping to live so that is very helpful regarding the English being spoken in schools, thanks.  You are the only person to be honest regarding the state education system, everyone else keeps saying that we'll have to go private, which is making the move impossible for us.  I am all for them learning Maltese, however they have been learning Welsh compulsorily for six years at school here and would struggle to hold a conversation with a fluent Welsh speaker, my worry is that they are in an excellent school here and doing very well, I suppose that's the risk you take when moving abroad!!

You will have no problem with the English in Sliema. There are also very good extra lessons available at very little cost in most subjects outside of school hours privatly.
I have 3 children here, all are at primary level and a younger sister who has just finished secondry.
Post secondry is no concern at all with language and I go to uni here and it's all taught in English.
Your childrens' text books will all be English text books.
From my sister's experience, the english speaking children tend to stick together but will hang, as a group, with the Maltese children. The Maltese will speak alot in English to them, they can slip into Maltese but not to offend, just because the two languages are spoken and they forget!
I certainly feel that it is worth a try with the government schools first, if you're not happy, at least you would have been on the island to get a feel of which private schooling would be best.

Will have to give it a go in a government school :)

It still feels like to right move to be taking moving to Malta. 

Thanks for your advice/help :)

You're welcome...
Kids have a great life here. The freedom, the sun, the 3 months summer holidays!!
I don't regret bringing my children up here. It's the reason we came in the first place!
Good luck!

Thanks again.  All the best :)

Re: EU law, your children and their schooling in another EU country:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=277515

I have 2 children in a state school and don't regret the decision, we are on Gozo so didn't have the option of private schooling, but my kids get by fine with Maltese language.
They have been in school here for 2 years and really love it. My 6 yr old son only has Gozitan friends and doesn't mix with the English kids, he has a great social life with his mates. My 10 yr old daughter has very good foreign and local friends.
We haven't had a problem with their current school but when we first moved here they went to a smaller school and there were issues with teaching in English, the teachers seemed to resent having to explain everything in English for my daughter and after a while didn't happen so she ended up in class reading her own books! So we changed school to a bigger one with more foreign children and its excellent, the school are more equipped to deal with children (and parents) who don't speak Maltese very well, all letters and paperwork from them are written in Maltese and English.

Hello we are moving over to st pauls bay and have our son registered at maria regina college in mosta does anyone know when they go back to school after summer?! As I have to make appointments when we arrive.
Claire.

clairedebelle74 wrote:

Hello we are moving over to st pauls bay and have our son registered at maria regina college in mosta does anyone know when they go back to school after summer?! As I have to make appointments when we arrive.
Claire.

Hi,

They start back on he 23rd but there will be someone at the school now in the mornings if you need to see them

Thank you x

@SillyPennyP

Hello, I know I'm replying 10 years later but wanted to ask if you did indeed move over to Malta and if so as how your child got on with the government school?

Thank u 💓 💗

Hello rinaatkinson75,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f600.svg

You can also start a new thread on the Malta forum or ask your questions where you have more chances to gather information.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@rinaatkinson75

This person does not participate on here now so unlikely to get a reply.