Confused by primary schools in Brussels, Please can someone help??

Hi there, My fiancé has just been offered and accepted a position with a firm in Brussels city centre and is moving over in July to start. 

He is telling me not to worry about finding a school for my son as he can look for one when he gets there, then he will choose an area for us to live nearby *we are supposed to follow on after getting married at the end of the year* but my research so far today has alarmed me regarding schools.

As we are not getting married until the end of the year he did not negotiate any school fees in his package, so the International fee paying schools are out, I contacted the European schools for information, only to be told no chance.
So now I am faced with where on earth will he be able to go? 

He is only 6 and is diagnosed on the Autistic spectrum *very mild* he is currently in a mainstream school in the UK with a teaching assistant. He only speaks English and although I am really keen for him to learn another language surely he is going to need to lean in English too?

Who do I contact, how do I find a state school, is there any chance one of them will also teach in English? I've been reading since 6am and now at 2.30 I'm no clearer than I was then!! :|

All local schools are French, Dutch or German. It would be up to you to decide if your child could integrate into a local school. In nearly all mainstream local schools, you will get no extra help in the classroom. I'd be looking at the special school system, type 8 and perhaps type 2 or 3 (there are 8 types of special school) and if you're going to be in Brussels, French is by far the dominant language. You could try this school in WSP which is next door to a mainstream school and where they also integrate the children from the special school into some of the mainstream classes, in fact both schools share the playground. Some children told me there is an English speaking child at this school.

Joli-Bois special primaire
http://ecoles.woluwe1150.be/JB-I/index.php

Joli-Bois mainstream primaire
http://ecoles.woluwe1150.be/JB-P/index.php

This school might however be a better choice, in Auderghem, very nice area.
http://ecoleschallerfondamental.weebly.com/

I work with children who are on the autistic spectrum, I know one who is learning in a second language. 

If you really want English, you'll have to put aside at least 15k per year.

Hello Madame,
I am a grand mother of two one of 5 one of 6 years old.
My grand son of 5 years old goes in a school named < l'école en couleurs > in Uccles Bruxelles.
You muts know that all Belgium poeple easelly speak at meast a bit of English, and also that children pick up easelly another lagage than his mother tong.

This school ,l'école en couleur ( school in colors> is a speacial alternative school, very open minded, and all chidren help each others rfrom the 4 years old to the 10 yeats old.
They are mixed international.
It is cheap, not expensive at all,
but at least the chidren are very happy in that school.
sporst ,art, creative school. and the small handicap of yor child would not be a problem./

So if you need more, I will gladly find the phone number for yu.

BUT;BUT BUT ....
.in Belgium, you have to reserve your school in adavance...long in adavance
,because all the schools are full to the top ,no more spare seats for studens...
and some children have to go on the other side of Brussels just to find a place in a school.

You do not have to be married to put your child in school, you need to  be officially domiciliated,( have a domicile, a true official adress in Brussels .)
à la Maison Communale of Bruxelles./

Kind regards
FleurBelge

I know lots of parents who have tried and failed to get places at En Couleurs, only one succeeded on enrolment day first time around, the rest took a couple of years to get in. It's a small school, very attractive to the middle classes.

I help people find school places in Brussels, year by year it gets harder, the older the child, the harder it gets.

Many schools in East Brussels and a few others like En Couleurs / Nos Enfants / Décroly / Hamaide / Plein Air have many international families. All these schools have extra fees of between 1k and 4k per year, which rules out these schools to many Belgians. They are all more likely to accept a child with special needs but all unlikely to have places. I know however there are places at mainstream Joli-Bois in WSP because they have just increased from 2 classes to 3 classes per year.

I got a job offer from University of Ghent, Belgium. My daughter is 8 years old and she can speak french and English fluently. I will start my work from January 2014 and I wish to know about the primary schools in Ghent. Is there any french medium schools in Ghent? I can't afford to international english medium schools. I am not sure whetehr it is possible to her to travel to Brussels every day? If anyone can help me, I will be grateful.

There are no French schools in Gent, so go Dutch or live in Brussels and you travel.

Dutch medium schools in Gent.
http://batchgeo.com/map/ca779ab67ddf29a … a7e930e26d

French medium schools in Brussels region.
https://batchgeo.com/map/1f1bf2b3b6e4ad … a57d56a826