Joint venture....which visa?

Hi,

I'm talking with a Chinese friend here in Beijing about starting a business together. If we both invest money into the company, with a view to earning a wage from it, am I allowed;

A. To legally work in Beijing ?

B. To qualify for a visa to stay in Beijing, and if so which one ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

David hi

If you are working in Beijing then you need a work visa. Does not matter if you are the boss or the shoe-shine boy re the necessity for having a work visa.

If you are the company's Legal Rep. you will be able to get a 2 year multiple entry work visa. Normal work visas are one year multiple entry visas.

Thanks.

How does this process work? Normally a company issues an invitation letter that is used along with the other Z visa application documents....that's my understanding of it. Do I issue this letter to myself ?

It seems that few know this process, only how to obtain a Z visa the dodgy way !

Apologies for my ignorance on this matter, but I am very serious about setting up this business in Beijing.

Thanks

Dave hi

I have my own company and I have a two year visa as the company's official rep.

The process is not complicated but depends a little on your existing visa status.

I had an existing z visa and all I had to was to transfer my employer from my previous company (I needed a letter to say that I no longer worked there)to the new company. I needed to show them a copy of my company's business licence which has me listed as the official rep.

As I think you know I am not a visa agent but know many people. If you want contact me privately and I can put you in contact with a couple of agents who can help with the registration and visa processes. Compare prices, decide which best suits your needs and take it from there.

As a side note - you said that this will be a JV - make sure you have a "pre-nuptial" agreement (ie a cya in place in case things go sour.  There are too many stories on how JV collapsed leaving the foreign partner up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I hope your venture is an amazing success but, to be on the safe side, please make sure that you are protected.

Thank you. That's more helpful than you know.

I'll be in touch later this week.