Visa issues for Europeans???? Any news from anywhere???

Someone just posted on Linked In that the Libyan government has stopped visas for all europeans except UK nationals as of yesterday 14/2.

Does anyone else have any information on this? Is it correct or just rumours?

Still a rumour as far as I know, but who knows with this bunch of petulant children...:mad:

This'll be a schengan thing again if it's not the UK ? Or are the British still in the good books because of last year's goodwill gesture ?

Mudman wrote:

Or are the British still in the good books because of last year's goodwill gesture ?

And of course it all had nothing to do with the biggest licencing award in BP's history, did it?

Sandman6 wrote:
Mudman wrote:

Or are the British still in the good books because of last year's goodwill gesture ?

And of course it all had nothing to do with the biggest licencing award in BP's history, did it?

Now that's just cynical mate :lol:

Our 'liaison' person who sorts out visas has just called the office to say he's heard the same rumours regarding Europeans.

As of 6pm yesterday all persons who have passports from countries who are part of the Schengen pact are being turned away and put back on the planes they came from. Brits are still good.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/02/ … visas.html

This is worrying, I'm Irish and my visa number should have been at the Consulate in France on Friday but they hadn't received it.  Today I called to see if it was through and the 'computers had a large problem' - I think I might have a larger one - any advice?  Tickets are booked, ready to leave next week!

You ain't Schengen.....and the Libyans probably figure you're from the Six Counties anyway! ;):lol:

That was my thought exactly, I think I'll have a chat with the nice guy at the consulate tomorrow and point it out ... this is the third flight I've booked, it's getting beyond funny now!

Some more here from the BBC:

LIBYA BARS EUROPEANS IN SWISS ROW

"The measure seems unlikely to remain in the long term, says the BBC's Rana Jawad in Libya"

Yesterday one of my Spanish colleagues who is resident and working in Libya came from Madrid with his family and new born baby who was coming first time to Libya. My colleague with his family was stopped at the airport to enter in Libya. But after a long discussion from his embassy and company he was finally allowed to enter in Libya. This took 5 hours waiting. But my friend said he may be the last one.

Little disputes like this add to the charm of the country and should do wonders to boot tourism  :)

Mudman wrote:

to boot tourism  :)

Dunno if that was a typo - but bang on! :lol:

Mudman wrote:

Little disputes like this add to the charm of the country and should do wonders to boot tourism :)

It will certainly do that right enough, and to think one of my Libyan colleagues was saying that in 5 years time Tripoli will be 'like Dubai', I don't think he understood when I collapsed in a fit of laughter :lol:

not exactly dubai but it will improve much as lot of big infra projects are started so development will help in every area

So what about the new property developments on the sea front? Building a few pig ugly high-rises guarantees nothing.

Before tourism kicks off in Libya, they need to simplify the whole process and make it a lot more user friendly for the potential tourist.

Getting a visitor/tourist visa is a lengthy  procedure and even when Johnny tourist and his Nikon arrive in country, he's shepherded around in a tour group, with a bunch of minders from the Thought Police.

Tourists these days want to have the freedom to see and do what they want. Look at the example of China, 20 years ago they were in the same boat until they relaxed the rules and now China is one of the top destinations.

I'm non-Schengen living in a Schengen country & as such I cannot get my visa.  I had a long chat with the guy at the Consulate who wants to help but can't, Tripoli immigration is not sending any visa applications through so their hands are tied.

Flights booked & paid for ... no where to go .. inshallah I'll be there in March, third month lucky?!

Tunisia to the left, Egypt to the right. Do you want to goto North Korea or South Korea ?

It's starting to scare me...

Well , I think Italy is working on the issue and they will have a deal with Switzerland to drop the Black list of Libyans,, Then the Libyans will agree on dropping off the new decision regarding the EU Visas...

Mudman wrote:

Tunisia to the left, Egypt to the right. Do you want to goto North Korea or South Korea ?

That is about an accurate description of Libya as I have ever read. This country WILL NOT become a decent tourist destination until -

a) They relax /improve the visa situation

b) They improve the roads and driving conditions

c) They build decent hotels that sell booze to tourists

Totally agree with Clansman... By the way, IŽm finally in Tripoli...

mp_garcia wrote:

Welcome....

Did you arrive before all the Schengen wahalla started?

mp_garcia wrote:

Welcome to the mad mad city that is Tripoli my friend :)

Thanx mates!!!:D I arrived on saturday, just one day before all this s***. I guess I was lucky... I couldnŽt imagine myself waiting too much in that bloody airport!!!

welcome mp-gracia. You were lucky enough hahah.   Anyway ,, still you have to discover Libya and see whatyou have never seen. The Good and the bad.

Actually you can relly on some experiences here on this post, some of them positive and some negative. You were unlucky because you came in with a such situation regarding visas.

The airport .... Never use the toilets and hold it till you arrive your final destination.  Sadly I am saying this becaue my country should be better than this 1000 times.. Feel embarrased.

Thanx thanx!!! I think this situation canŽt last long, I mean itŽs nonsense. I hope that soon it can be solved, of course I wonŽt say a word about this to Mrs Garcia, donŽt want her to freak out!!!!

Will this affect the length of time in processing visas for Americans? My visa is currently in the process of getting approved. I am just wondering if this event would affect the length of time?

Hopefully this issue is resolved and all people from all countries and freely enter the country!

Since when was the USA part of Schengen? ;)

Or is Europe next on the list after Iraq and Afghanistan? :lol:

iShouldBsurfn wrote:

Will this affect the length of time in processing visas for Americans? My visa is currently in the process of getting approved. I am just wondering if this event would affect the length of time?

Hopefully this issue is resolved and all people from all countries and freely enter the country!

No your visa will be ok, I believe a big delegation from the states is due to arrive here next week for some form of 'business discussions', so the US is in the good guys club as far as the mad one is concerned.

Clansman wrote:

No your visa will be ok, I believe a big delegation from the states is due to arrive here next week for some form of 'business discussions', so the US is in the good guys club as far as the mad one is concerned.

It's a stretch to say they are in the good guys club.  Americans can't get tourist visas.

Indeed....Il Duce still has a hard-on over Grand Canyon ;)

i have heard that all schengen citizen who have the note manager (mudir) in the passport are being rejected at the airport in Libya. Normal persons like engineers/tourist have no problem with getting visa. My visa is also in work.

bayburlu wrote:

i have heard that all schengen citizen who have the note manager (mudir) in the passport are being rejected at the airport in Libya. Normal persons like engineers/tourist have no problem with getting visa. My visa is also in work.

This is accurate .. I have a friend working as Immigration officer confirmed this.

In connection with visas will be okay within a few days.

At least I hope so

I'm British, living in the UK, and should have been in Benghazi from the end of January and yet still no progress with my visa. Is this normal?

LittleSpoon wrote:

I'm British, living in the UK, and should have been in Benghazi from the end of January and yet still no progress with my visa. Is this normal?

Yes. But make sure your company knows what it is doing and that everyone is talking to eachother. Took me about 5 months to get my visa the 1st time, but that was partly due to my co. not knowing the 'correct' procedures..

For 'correct', read , "the latest whims of the Libyan immigration dept." :)