Moving my cat to mauritius from the uk

Hello  Everybody,

I am looking into moving to Mauritius and want to bring my cat. What experiences have people had with this and what is the quarantine period (have seen different info about this)? Any info is appreciated.

Kate :-)

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Kate !

Maybe you should have a look at this thread from the Mauritius forum: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=103029

Good luck
Armand

Thanks Armand I will.

Hi KateCsongbird,

I recently moved to Mauritius from the UK (last Oct/Nov) and also bought my cat with me.  The thread that Armand mentioned is very informative and helpful.  I used the same thread and contact details that were mentioned therein. The process might seem overwhelming with all the requirements but it is actually very straight forward. 

My initial correspondence with the quarantine centre was by email: [email protected] with Mrs S.P Boodoo in July (way ahead of our move), she emailed me the import requirements which sets out the necessary vaccinations etc. When I came to Mauritius end of August (prior to my move), I visited the quarantine centre and met with Mrs Boodoo. She had my application noted in her log book with a reference number, they are very organised and made dealing with them a relief. 

The facilities are basic for cats (and dogs), each 'kennel' is spacious and is very clean and secure. There is a main gate for the kennels which is locked at all times. In addition there are 2 gates that lead to the individual 'kennel' which are also locked at all times.  The staff are very strict about this and even tell the owners off if it's unlocked.  So you can rest assured that your kitty will be safe :).

I dealt directly with the UK authorities: DEFRA (www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla) for the export requirements. They were very good and responsive. The DEFRA application refers to certain vaccinations that your cat must have before traveling.  I took it to my vet and he was able to complete and finalise the form for me as and when the vaccinations were done.   

You will need to arrange for a broker to meet you in Mauritius when you arrive at the airport, I also used Hurry and can recommend him.  He deals with the quarantine centre often.  When all the documents from the UK were issued I emailed them to Hurry so he could finalise the import process.

Once my flight was confirmed, I used Airpets in the UK for my cat's travel, they were able to arrange it so that we could travel together. We flew with Air Mauritius, it was a direct flight and less stressful for both of us. All pets from the UK travel in the hold and are not allowed in the cabin. 

Hope this information is useful.  If you have any queries please don't hesitate to contact me.

Good luck with your arrangements.
:)