The unofficial web page of the greater Cuenca expat community

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CrYdKkH0hl0/VdeCtI5dq_I/AAAAAAAACIU/tlzubbB7lUo/s800-Ic42/9780786178957.gif

The best that I can recall, the only good pair of sunglasses I have owned during my lifetime was a pair of Serengeti driving sunglasses that acquired with Budget Rent-a-car points I had earned.  These glasses lasted about 9 months before finally breaking them, after sitting on them one too many times..  That was actually pretty good for me.

While there are many stores to buy cheap sunglasses from, I currently purchase mine from a store called "El Paisa". Paisa means "of/from Antioquia or its capital, Medellín".   Apparently the owners are immigrants from Columbia.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pRSPUTaiAPE/Vcp5uyP3rdI/AAAAAAAACIE/MUCPpSXre2s/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

Above the name El Paisa are the words "Muchas Ofertas" (Many Offers) and below the name are the words "Mas Barato Imposible" (The Cheapest Impossible).

If you look at the doorway, you will see a rack of sunglasses on the left side which are sunglasses while on the right side they are reading glasses.  Each column on those racks is clearly marked with the price.

Here is a photo of my current selection of sunglasses.:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TFNbC18pO2c/VdeFt2-GCwI/AAAAAAAACIg/_mx3DxvXwyw/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

The top two sunglasses in the photo cost me a $1.25 each. I think the bottom pair cost me $2.00, probably cuz they had a "Ray Ban" sticker on them when I bought them.

This store is located on Luis Cordero just south of Sucre.

Great book, infers the way China has taken the economic hitman method previously pursued by the USA.

mugtech wrote:

Great book, infers the way China has taken the economic hitman method previously pursued by the USA.

Maybe it is time for me to read it. I see there is a Spanish language version in the Kindle format on Amazon. (I haven't completely given up on improving my Spanish.)

http://www.amazon.com/Confesiones-un-g- … d=&sr=

Nards Barley wrote:

below the name are the words "Mas Barato Imposible" (The Cheapest Impossible)...The top two sunglasses in the photo cost me a $1.25 each.

Frankly, Nards, that's a really good price for sunglasses.  The best I have seen at a store here in Quito is two dollars a pair, on Avenida Guayaquil.  No discounts for multiple-pairs buying.

The walking street-vendors want at least six or eight bucks a pair, justifying the price by saying the lenses are glass, not plastic.

Price is important for sunglasses, because they're so easy to 'lose' -- especially if you had 'em hooked over your belt and encountered a crowd of humanity while exiting on a bus platform in Gringolandia.  Can you say desaparecido....

Mas barato imposible -- the point here is that it's (supposedly) impossible to find cheaper glasses. :)

cccmedia in Quito

Hi Nards,
Just signed up as I have been researching Cuenca a bit and mostly like what I am finding.  I've never heard of milk in bags, although US supermarkets do sell long shelf life "ultra-pasteurized" boxed milk requiring no refrigeration until opened.  I sometimes buy some for backup.

I do not understand why the newest posts are at the end of the thread instead of at the top.  According to the pages listed, this is page 41.  So it's like starting at the back of the book to begin on page 1 of this blog.  Hmm?

I have many questions not satisfactorily addressed in other slick web pages, YouTube videos, etc., and am hoping this forum will be helpful in my decision-making process re Cuenca, which I began researching two years ago, they took off for a while, but now am back, looking again. 

For one thing, my Social Security income just this year surpassed the $800 minimum for pensioners residency.  I also have a bachelor's degree, which may quality me for another type of visa, but all of that is yet to be worked out.

Basically I am now a 70 year old retiree looking for a nice place to stretch my dollars and put a fine polish on the rest of my life.  Cuenca sounds like just the place for me - at least when my Spanish gets better.

As for accommodations, I will seek something minimal in an Ecuadorian neighborhood, "a room with a view, " so to speak.  I am only myself, not even a cat, but will need internet and modern plumbing, if that's not too much to ask.  At my age, good plumbing can make or break a deal.  And what's all this about not being able to flush TP?  Huh?  Is this normal?  Well, many questions to be asked, but for now....

I'm  just saying hi and letting y'all know I will be looking in from time to time to see what's happening. 

cheers, BC

BC45 wrote:

Just signed up as I have been researching Cuenca a bit and mostly like what I am finding.  I've never heard of milk in bags, although US supermarkets do sell long shelf life "ultra-pasteurized" boxed milk requiring no refrigeration until opened.  I sometimes buy some for backup.

Boxed milk is sold here as well so you don't have to use the bagged milk if you would prefer not to.

BC45 wrote:

I do not understand why the newest posts are at the end of the thread instead of at the top.  According to the pages listed, this is page 41.  So it's like starting at the back of the book to begin on page 1 of this blog.  Hmm?

A suggestion as to why the posts are represented in this fashion is that most people are regulars and they would have to start at the beginning in order to get to where they left off. I guess they could choose to click on the last page but then they would have to navigate to the last post they had read. The emails we get are linked to the last post we have read so it is very convenient if you follow the posts regularly.

BC45 wrote:

Basically I am now a 70 year old retiree looking for a nice place to stretch my dollars and put a fine polish on the rest of my life.  Cuenca sounds like just the place for me - at least when my Spanish gets better.

I wouldn't wait for your Spanish to get better. Just come and enjoy yourself. If you really want it to, your Spanish will improve with your immersion here. I have been here for 1.5 years and my Spanish is still not anywhere close to CCCMedia's. I still cannot understand some conversations and I am around Ecuadorian families regularly. I just keep working on it.

BC45 wrote:

I am only myself, not even a cat, but will need internet and modern plumbing, if that's not too much to ask.  At my age, good plumbing can make or break a deal.  And what's all this about not being able to flush TP?  Huh?  Is this normal?

Internet is good most of the time as long as you stick with a good provider. I have found TV Cable to be the best so far.

I am afraid the plumbing issue is real. I have heard that there are a very few buildings in Cuenca where it is possible to flush TP, but most buildings do not support this. It is really not that big of a deal. You will get used to it if you let yourself. The benefits of living here far outweigh something as trivial as that.

Hope to see wandering and enjoying the streets of Cuenca some time soon.

Thanks Mike,

I'm already over the TP issue; it was merely an amusement.  I actually do not flush foreign materials here in my own commode due to septic tank considerations - I use a spring-lidded diaper pail  with disposable plastic bags and, of course, deodorizer. 

Preparing to leave all my books behind is a big deal.  They are a large part of my personal identity, but then Cuenca is an opportunity to reinvent oneself, yes?  Perhaps I might get away with bringing just a few favorites?  But, again, at what cost?  When you came to Cuenca, what did you bring?  And how?  Though I have already disposed of most of my heavy tools, I do have a few I'd like to keep.  Bring, or dump & replace?

Bagged milk is no problem as long as a relatively airtight container is employed.  I presume such things are readily available.

My initial disorientation with the blog postings was soon overcome as its sense set in, even before you kindly explained.  No problem now.

Schoolroom Spanish is notorious for being relatively useless in the real world, but I did make A's and with a bit of immersion, should be able to achieve some functional fluency in a few months.  I can still, at least, manage to order a cold beer and a cheeseburger, even after all these years.  CCCMedia was amused when I mentioned that my phone has an app that will carry on a spoken bi-lingual conversation, translating on the fly.  Like CCCM, I too shall be interested to see how well it works in el mercado.  My Costa Rican neighbor just moved away, but I'm sure I can find someone else nearby to help test it. 

BTW, I have heard said that the Spanish in Ecuador is the purest spoken outside of Spain.  Not like Mexican, Cuban, or Puerto Rican.  Hmm?  Of course, there are many dialects and accents in Euro Spanish, too.  Rosetta Stone offers European or Latin American Spanish courses.  Sounds simple, hey?

As for TV, I can do without, but when the time comes I will want the best available ISP.

How long does it usually take to acclimate to the elevation?

Questions, questions...  I do plan to visit, a reconnaissance mission, as soon as my budget allows for RT airfare, budget hotel, getting around on the ground, eating & drinking, checking availability and prices of goods & services,  meeting the lawyers, etc.,  Maybe a week or two?

Can you recommend a residency visa abogado?

cheers, BC

I had a bit of an outburst today over something I saw today while having a lunch at a Gringo Cafe today. It was completely internalized, but my reaction was "you got be f'n kidding me"

Back in Februrary, we had the much hyped release of a Cuenca magazine called ".Zero Living with Latitude". 

Here was the cover:

http://cuencahighlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/chl-mag2-214x300.jpg.

I think the magazine had one more issue before it suspended publication.  One of the things we heard was the two cofounders had editorial differences, and that one of the editors had quit

I had posted a month ago on my page is that I had been in Magnolia cafe during .a writers club when I overhead someone saying they were starting up a new magazine called "Cuenca Expats Magazine".

Well, today I saw thefirst release of the new magazone. Here is the cover of it.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11822766_426273377556467_4432031235503899518_n.jpg?oh=44e29ce3f2df487a3574d96e7a528934&oe=566AFAE9

All of the expat haunts and websites are inundated with this woman´s advertising (a visa facilitator).  I would have much preferred to see a cover story on the Fabianos than another one on this woman.  What was the editor thinking?

BC45 wrote:

Preparing to leave all my books behind is a big deal.  They are a large part of my personal identity, but then Cuenca is an opportunity to reinvent oneself, yes?  Perhaps I might get away with bringing just a few favorites?  But, again, at what cost?  When you came to Cuenca, what did you bring?  And how?  Though I have already disposed of most of my heavy tools, I do have a few I'd like to keep.  Bring, or dump & replace?

I brought a library of digitized books as well as digitized movies. I am a movie collector. I also brought a pair of slippers (very important due to cool floors), a down comforter (also important as there are some cold nights), a set of sheets (they have poor quality sheets in this country - I would consider bringing flannel sheets), and a set of good knives (they are expensive here). I brought other things as well, but none as important as these. What I should have brought is a set of flatware (again poor unless you pay a good price). A nice set of dishes are expensive as well so you might consider these as well. Also, good pots and pans are expensive as well (i.e., if you like copper-based pots and pans as I do).

BC45 wrote:

Bagged milk is no problem as long as a relatively airtight container is employed.  I presume such things are readily available.

I have no idea about an airtight container. I am not sure why you would want one. Milk seems to last very well here. It is kept on the shelves at the supermarket (i.e., not in a cold storage unit).

BC45 wrote:

CCCMedia was amused when I mentioned that my phone has an app that will carry on a spoken bi-lingual conversation, translating on the fly.

Yes, I have the same thing and before coming here thought it might be useful. It doesn't work very well. I have attempted to use it several times without much success. I gave up on it. However, it may have improved since I last used it.

I do use Google Translate, but it does make mistakes. It does not always represent the correct statement in Spanish and results in confused looks on the part of the Ecuadorians. I tend to break apart sentences to try and get the correct Spanish. Google Translate seems to work better when using a web browser as it offers optional expressions which the Android app I use does not: It just gets it wrong.

BC45 wrote:

Rosetta Stone offers European or Latin American Spanish courses.  Sounds simple, hey?

In my opinion Rosetta Stone is not that great. It is great with nouns but absolutely terrible when it comes to verb usage and understanding sentence structure. And it is ridiculously overpriced for what it can help you with.

BC45 wrote:

As for TV, I can do without, but when the time comes I will want the best available ISP.

Actually, Spanish TV can be one of your best tools in learning Spanish. Like I said TV Cable has been the best for me. I have experience with ETAPA ADSL, Puntonet Wireless and TV Cable so far.

BC45 wrote:

How long does it usually take to acclimate to the elevation?

It depends on the person. For me it was very fast to acclimatize. I have heard of others that have had long-lasting problems. This seems to be a minority though.

BC45 wrote:

meeting the lawyers, etc.,

Why would you need a lawyer?

BC45 wrote:

Maybe a week or two?

A week or two will give you a slim idea of what it is like to live here. Why not just move here and live for a year and then decide.

BC45 wrote:

Can you recommend a residency visa abogado?

No, I can't and I wouldn't recommend using one, unless you have a complicated scenario (e.g., bringing children into the country where you are divorced - I know you do not fall into this class. This is just an example of an extenuating circumstance). They tend to be expensive and a waste of money. You can do the whole process yourself quite easily. You don't even need a good command of Spanish as the Ministry has people that speak English. If you would rather not spend the time it takes waiting to be called to process your request you can hire a facilitator. They tend to charge less than a lawyer, but do some research so that you find the right one to use. You could consider using Visa Angels.

Re the new Cuenca mag.

Nards -- that is funny.

Just as a guess, she might well have heard about the mags starting up and approached them for the article -- or offered to write it or even pay for it (I'm not saying that happened, but it's certainly not unheard of among underfunded publications).

I'm curious what her 'Profile in Courage' was about.

Hola Mike,

Hey, thanks!  Your reply to my concerns is very informative and useful, esp. re the Visa Angels.  After looking them up and reading some of their reviews, they sound like a great outfit and much more practical than the law firms advertising heavily all over these various sites.  I even found one very detailed blog on doing it yourself, complete with the appropriate forms and step-by-step procedures, but I am not confident that my case is that simple, as I do indeed have some "extenuating" circumstances with which to deal and may require professional assistance..

Ah, movies.  I hadn't even thought about that, having been primarily concerned with my books.  I have hundreds of CD's and DVD's (many of them BluRay), so one might say I collect those as well.  What do you mean by "digitized"?  Stored on an external hard drive, or flash drives?  I already have a great deal of music stored in my computer, but only a fraction of what I have on physical disc.  Perhaps flash/thumb drives would be the way to go since there are such drives these days with huge capacities.  And they're small and lightweight with no moving parts.  Amazon has 256gb flash drives for $80, 128gb $30.  Amazing technology these days.

Your suggestions on kitchenware and bed linens also well-received.  I have plenty of all that, including flannel sheets.  But are mattresses there the same standard sizes as US?  My bed linens include fitted sheets for "twin" and "queen" sizes.  I still have my grandmother's cast iron skillet that is older than I am.  Sentimental value worth bringing/shipping?

One of my concerns you didn't mention was tools:  Bring, or dump-and-replace?  I must presume that replacement, like quality kitchenware, etc., would be expensive.  And I'm trying to figure how to make every dollar count.  At the same time, trying to avoid arriving there and setting up with minimal discomfort.  A guy's got to have some tools, even if just to hang pictures on the wall or repair a lamp, leaky faucet, etc.  And maybe I'd want to build some furniture.

I am not considering a container, but may have a few hundred kilos of stuff - not just tools, but stuff in general, like a few boxes of favorite books, and now CDs & DVDs, PC & printer, some household gear, etc, that I'd like to have and rather not have to replace or do without. No doubt compromises will be made.

I requested and received a reply from a shipping company with rates of $8.60/kilo for 100 kilos air freight, maybe less for 200 or more.  Door to door, all inclusive.  Does that sound reasonable?  220 lbs isn't much when one starts weighing up the stuff I mentioned above.  So probably at least 2 or 3 hundred kilos.  Adds up fast.

Since I like my milk cold, a fridge will be high on my list.  And not just for milk.  Let's not forget the beer.

I'm not particularly impressed with Rosetta Stone either.  I've heard Pimsleur is good, but even so, immersion is best.  The translator app on my phone is the latest, by Google.  Hopefully it won't be entirely useless.  I see your point about TV.  Though I watch very little TV here beyond tennis and college football, I can see its potential as a Spanish learning tool.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  Duly noted.

Do you happen to know if streaming movie services are available there, e.g., Netflix, Amazon, etc.?  As long as there's internet, I can't think why not.  I think they're referred to these days as "cloud" services.

You've been very helpful Mike.  If you like, or don't mind, we can communicate further via email.  I'm clydewillis[at]rocketmail.com.

cheers, BC

This is really not the best forum o be answering your questions on as it is Nards special forum. So, I will email you directly.

Thanks.  I'll be looking forward to hearing from you.
My apologies to Nards for intruding....

:(   BC

BobH wrote:

Re the new Cuenca mag.

Nards -- that is funny.

Just as a guess, she might well have heard about the mags starting up and approached them for the article -- or offered to write it or even pay for it (I'm not saying that happened, but it's certainly not unheard of among underfunded publications).

I found out the magazines charges $1,000 for the cover story. You would think that they could have made it less obvious by waiting a couple of issues, but maybe she was the only one who was willing to pay the cost at the time of the first issue.

a $1,000?  Well there goes my 15 minutes in the spotlight

Nards Barley wrote:

I found out the magazines charges $1,000 for the cover story.

I'm surprised only in that it's usually not all that blatant, e.g., your local mag runs a '10 Best' issue in which it just happens that just about every business selected is an advertiser.

Oh well -- they gotta make a living.

BobH wrote:
Nards Barley wrote:

I'm surprised only in that it's usually not all that blatant, e.g., your local mag runs a '10 Best' issue in which it just happens that just about every business selected is an advertiser.

I was told even the "Ask the Expert" column is a paid article.  I guess if you are going to distribute a free magazine, every page in it needs to be for sale.

Nards Barley wrote:
BobH wrote:
Nards Barley wrote:

I was told even the "Ask the Expert" column is a paid article.  I guess if you are going to distribute a free magazine, every page in it needs to be for sale.

So if I have  $1,000 - I can  be an expert, Nards?  Fantastic

Speaking of experts, the latest IL online ad is a personal account of an expat in Cuenca, but not Edd Said.  It was an informative article, Ecuador is still listed as the overall best choice for expats.

Hi Nards and everyone, it's so nice to catch up with all your Shenanighans! I am back in Oregon where it is DRY and smoky. Lots of fires, no water but the tomatoes are huge! We are looking forward to our next visit (4th) visit to EC. Gerry in Southern Oregon

BC45 wrote:

The translator app on my phone is the latest, by Google.  Hopefully it won't be entirely useless.... Do you happen to know if streaming movie services are available there, e.g., Netflix, Amazon, etc.?  As long as there's internet...why not.BC

Gringos stand out in Ecuador in any case.  Trying to negotiate a busy market using a translator-app/Google device, you would stick out  like Ralph Kramden come back to life in his man-from-Mars costume.  If you like a lot of attention, the locals will be sure to give it to you. ;)

Streaming-video services would love to have another Ecuador-based customer.  I had Netflix for a trial month, but discontinued due to my slow ISP causing way too much buffering during most of the month.

cccmedia in Quito

As to the earlier question about how long it takes to adjust to the altitude....

We'd like to tell you exactly, based on your age, your health, your health history, your gender, your habits and the exact elevation of your property.

We'd like to.  But we can't.  In the end, its personal to you and unpredictable.

Worth mentioning... a small percentage of folks -- especially those with health isses -- are unable to adjust.

Cuenca is about 1,100 feet lower in altitude than Quito, so the adjustment may be easier in Cuenca that in la capital for many.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks again cccm - nah, don't want to be the fool in the market place but I suppose some of that is going to be unavoidable since my Spanish is the 20 year old school room variety.  And if you can't decently stream a movie in Quito I don't suppose it's going to happen in Cuenca either.

Yikes!  To see if I'm going to be able to make it at 8 thousand feet I best go visit my old buddy in Colorado - he's at 8000 feet and we shall see from there if I have a chance.

BC45 wrote:

if you can't decently stream a movie in Quito I don't suppose it's going to happen in Cuenca either.

You can't make that assumption, Clyde.

Fiber optic Internet has come to Cuenca, according to earlier posting(s) on this thread.

Nards, and possibly others, should have an idea as to where it's available.

It's readily available in parts of Quito as well, just not in my vecindario.

cccmedia in Quito

BC45 wrote:

Thanks again cccm - nah, don't want to be the fool in the market place but I suppose some of that is going to be unavoidable since my Spanish is the 20 year old school room variety.  And if you can't decently stream a movie in Quito I don't suppose it's going to happen in Cuenca either.

As I mentioned to you before, it is quite possible to stream Netflix. Lots of people here do it successfully. Just don't hope it will work properly if you use ETAPA ADSL or Puntonet. If you can move into a building that has ETAPA fiber or one that supports TV Cable you will be fine.

I have no problem streaming Netflix on my ETAPA connection. I also have an Amazon  box that allows me to watch movies and television on line.
I am in the process of switching over to Punto Net fiber optic. I am in a new building, and the cable is already in place so the cost factor is pretty reasonable.
I am in Cuenca.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

I have no problem streaming Netflix on my ETAPA connection. I also have an Amazon  box that allows me to watch movies and television on line.
I am in the process of switching over to Punto Net fiber optic. I am in a new building, and the cable is already in place so the cost factor is pretty reasonable.
I am in Cuenca.

Beware of Puntonet's internal network (beyond the fiber into your apartment). It appears they are not very good at managing traffic in their own network, That has been my experience as of late. Puntonet wireless is a better option than ETAPA ADSL. But Putonet fiber should be even better. It is possible that my analysis was flawed and that the problem was not in the Putonet network but rather in the Putonet wireless. All I can say is that when I pinged an address on the Putonet side of the wireless connection, all the pings were returned. But further into their network the pings were not all returned indicating traffic congestion.

Thanks for the heads up Mike.
The reason I decided to make the switch was from the recommendations of others that live in my building, and  have had a great experience. They have web related business's , and rely on good reliability and speed. The folks in my building  are thrilled with the service.
I'm going to hook up, and will certainly report my experience.
Be Well

I have had Etapa ADSL for a couple years and it is has been relatively stable.  I pay for a 2.8 mbps package and watch Netflix with very little or no buffering, assuming I am not browsing or downloading while watching it.  I generally avoid saying one service is better than another. I just say you got pick one, try it out, and be prepared to drop it if sucks, even if it costs you some money.

While the wireless puntonet option with the antenna outside can be good, if you are too far from the tower or there are obstacles between you and the tower, the performance can suck.   Unfortunately, I think the techs will sometimes setup you with the service, even though they may realize that your performance will be poor. 

I would try the Puntonet fiber optics if it were available, since theoretically it should be better.  You are not sharing a connection with neighbors as you are with the other options. Your upload speed is the same as your download speed (which is also true with the puntonet wireless) and they guarantee that you will never drop below 80 percent of your contract plan. Plus, they have plans up to 20 mbps which I think no one else offers.   Of course, I am sure they are probably still trying to work out the kinks since it is relatively new.

After BC mentioned meeting lawyers, GB asked why?

It's a fair question even if it's not really necessary any more for most EC arrivals to use one for a residency visa.

The question is up for further discussion at the new thread "...Why Would You Need a Lawyer?" at this link....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=519474

cccmedia in Quito

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KZDWwiGJqkI/VfSR4D81koI/AAAAAAAACI8/z8uP9xOhHkM/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150908_185400973.jpgAttended a recent Gringo Night based on the following recommendation from Gringo Post:

Recommendation for Iberia Pollo Broster, restaurant
Looking for a good, home cooked, southern meal then look no more. Iberia Pollo Broster serves a gringo menu each Tuesday night at 6 PM. Great food and great comradery. Reservations are required.

Address: Directly across Don Bosco from the Parque Iberia

Contact information: [email protected]

The meal consisted of heart attack on a plate chicken fried steak and gray, mashed potatoes, salad, a roll and dessert, drink.  It was tasty.

They had un unannounced three-piece jazz band that played for tips and included one member from the Cuenca symphony, so I was told. They were good. The gringos that night must have been mostly hillbillies and rednecks since most of them cleared out of there immediately after their meal, instead of staying for the music.

I will be moving to Cuenca in late January. I would rather not have to ship my bed, but for health reasons I need an adjustable base. Do any of you know if such an item is available for purchase in Cuenca?

DorothyPeck wrote:

I will be moving to Cuenca in late January. I would rather not have to ship my bed, but for health reasons I need an adjustable base. Do any of you know if such an item is available for purchase in Cuenca?

On Gran Columbia near Avenida de las Americas there is a Chaide y Chaide store where I am pretty sure I have seen a bedframe like the following for sale.

http://www.chaide.com/b2c/img/p/84-529-thickbox.jpg

http://www.chaide.com/b2c/product.php?id_product=84

Nards, that looks like what I need. Thank you so very, very much!! I might not save a ton of money, but will save huge amounts of hassle by buying a replacement in Cuenca. When I get settled, lunch will be on me!

Hi

The best spanish spoken in latin-america is found in Loja-Ecuador (at least the one spoken by european descendants), many people in other parts speak the creole language, native american words into the spanish language, i am an native lojano, my spanish is clear and pure in that sense, at moment planning to open a project to take european pensioners to live in Loja-Ecuador, i live in London-UK

Okay, it's official. I had Punto Net set up my fiber optic connection some 3 days ago. I said I'd report back my experience.
Firstly, it was supposed to be an 8 day waiting period, which would have been this coming Monday. They called a day before install, and were very timely with the appointment, plus almost a week early. There were 4 tech's involved in the set up. The workers were very efficient, and neat in their work. The entire install was about 2 hours.
I signed up for the 10 Mbps service. At the end of the install, the lead tech did a speed test on my system  and it was running right about at 10, for both Upload/ Download. I did my own test shortly after they left, and it remained about the same. I have been monitoring it at various times of the day to see if there were spikes, but... it seems pretty stable. I did a test shortly before this note, and it was 10.42 for D/L & 9.82 for U/L. I am paying about the same as I was at ETAPA.
Thus far, I'm VERY happy I made the switch. I have had no interruptions of service, and my system is bazin' fast.
Now, the real test : NFL tomorrow !!!!

This method of connecting with PuntoNet appears to be a very good one. I hope your service continues to be as good as it is now.

How much are you paying for the 10 Meg service?

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Now, the real test : NFL tomorrow !!!!

Do you subscribe to to NFL Gamepass?

https://gamepass.nfl.com

Nope,
I go through the old XBMC.