The unofficial web page of the greater Cuenca expat community

gtd627 wrote:

I hope I have given some one an idea of what Ecuador is really like, and that it is not what the internet and other media portraits it to be.

Thank you gtd627 for sharing you experience. We will put you on the list of people who thinks Ecuador is overrated and who think organizations on the internet are exagerrating reality on the ground.

The Largisimo wrote:

I think people that spend some time in Quito may find that it would be a great place to live.

Frangie Frugal and their fabulous family of five certainly like it, and they believe it may be a more affordable place to live than Cuenca. Here is what they said on this post:

Quito has quite a bit to offer as any big city in the north country has to offer, often times for less money!

aterosin wrote:

I miss Ecuador and hope to return but in the meantime I've got soooo many great, funny and mind boggling memories.   Gerry back in Oregon

Gerry, Glad you had a nice time in Ecuador. From your blog, it looks like you covered a lot of ground.  Hopefully you found the ideal retirement city/destination for you, once you retire from your second career.

Congrats Nards, you hit double figures in pages, quite the accomplishment.

mugtech wrote:

Congrats Nards, you hit double figures in pages, quite the accomplishment.

And Julian (the founder) wonŽt even make my web page a "sticky".
They let wjwoodward create "stickys", and he got run off the Ecuador forum by angry expats.

Hello Nards Barley > you just have to ask for it. ;) and please note that Julien is abroad on business at the moment.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAPsINoHD4wnRPsMvBud3z2dcMAug4I6mKk1tMa8_sk4eetwuVYA

I was invited over for gourmet oatmeal today by some former neighbors.  I help them with their computer problems, so I get fed from time to time by them.

Whenever I visit them, I pump them for information since they eat out at gringo hotspots and know people, unlike me.   

Well, today they told me that a particular expat (call him John Doe) stopped eating lunch at a particular cafe popular with gringos because he learned that the owner was not distributing the tips amongst the employees, but keeping it all for herself. Apparently John Doe while eating lunch raised the issue with her; she came up to him and put her hand on his thigh, looked him in the eyes, and said something like: "I need those tips to pay bills".

Apart from that bit of expat gossip, I did learn that the restaurant (not the same one mentioned above) that we see advertised as being up for sale is indeed the California Kitchen.  It doesnŽt sound like the family is going anywhere, but just want more free time to enjoy the good life.

Nards Barley wrote:

And Julian (the founder) wonŽt even make my web page a "sticky".
They let wjwoodward create "stickys", and he got run off the Ecuador forum by angry expats.

WJW and I have an agreement, I stay off the Brazil forum and he stays off the Ecuador forum.

and said something like: "I need those tips to pay bills".

still strikes me as fraud, no matter the excuse.  If there is a 10% tip included in the bill for tips then it should be for tips.

Nards Barley wrote:

[img align=C]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAPsINoHD4wnRPsMvBud3z2dcMAug4I6mKk1tMa8_sk4eetwuVYA[/url]

she came up to him and put her hand on his thigh, looked him in the eyes, and said something like: "I need those tips to pay bills".

Could have resulted in a sexual harassment suit in the USA.  Good thing Ecuador is laid back about silly stuff like that.

Or out and out intimidation...and in the US it could be construed as assault

" and he got run off the Ecuador forum by angry expats."

C'mon Dude.... is there such a thing as an angry expat?

ZenSPIKE wrote:

a fearsome sight

quito0819 wrote:
ZenSPIKE wrote:

a fearsome sight

The guy compared the present US govt to Nazi Germany, saying the men who tried to kill Hitler were traitors to Germany but heroes to the rest of the world.  No sense wasting time communicating with people who think that way.

I agree with you wholeheartedly Sir.

Given that I find my apartment too noisy due to a young family lving above me, I have been looking around some for a new apartment or house. Therefore, I went and looked at three new apartmnets in the Edificio Rosenthal, which I believe to be the biggest apartment complex in Cuenca after the Palermo. The Rosenthal is located on Solano Avenue near 10th de Agosto. It will have a movie theater, gym, jacuzzi, and steam rooms.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I1nIevJbrc0/UeA3VHyuSGI/AAAAAAAABGo/yhKHwucYlY4/s800/2013-07-12%252011.37.51.jpg

I saw a small unfurnished apartment without applicances or balcony for $500 plus monthly building fee. You have to pay electricity, water, internet, cable etc separately.

The other two had appliances except for washer and drier, two balconies.  One was bigger than the other and they wanted $800 a month for it plus the building fee. The smaller one was presumably less, but she didnŽt know the price at the moment.

Here is the album link if you want to see more photos. Most of the indoor apartment photos were of the smaller apartment without appliances.

Little more expensive than anticipated.  I know the utilities are very cheap, but how much is the building fee per month?  How hard will it be to find out if a potential new place also has noisy neighbors?

It is steep.  When I was considering buying at one point the units were reportedly selling for around 1,200 a sqiare meter which was above average. There was a lot of excitement for this complex probably due to the movie theater, gym etc. I like the location since it is between downtown and mall del Rio.

I am renting a 1200 square foot apartment in a newer building with a small balcony for $400 a month plus my building fee is around $105 a month. I also have a electricity bill of around $45 a month and an internet bill of $28 per month.

The building fee at those apartments I saw today range from $75 to $120. 

I mainly went to see those apartments because I was curious to see the complex.  I will continue looking for something more affordble. I have a lease that takes me through November and I have deposit and final months rent at stake, but would move if I find the right place, and try to sublease for remainder of my lease period my existing apartment.

Regarding this photo, That wall in the middle of room is a L-shaped wall that you can use as a sort of an office. I thought that was clever. It is taken from one of the bigger apartments that included appliances.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RPnCDtKLvCE/UeA3XSC861I/AAAAAAAABG4/MPFyh1r5duw/s640/2013-07-12%252011.35.06.jpg

Also looks very secure

Those rents sound high, but I guess you're paying for the convenience of all those amenities being right in the building. I'd prefer to save a little money and walk to the amenities.

So there is an article today titled "Coopera didnŽt have Depositors Insurance". Well, we already knew that.

Of course we know that the people with balances under 10,000 are in process of getting their funds returned and it is the people with balances over $10,000 that are worried.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that they are prioritizing repayment to people with balances under 10,000, but it does allow them to please a greater number of people that way.  If they did it on a proportional basis then most would walk away grumbling.

Throughout this process, I had yet to see anyone call for the federal government to step in and make up the idfference. I did see someone call for President Correa to come to Cuenca to deal with this matter, in light of the fact the top executive of Coopera ran for office under CorreaŽs political party.

However, in Cuenca Highlife, there was this quote from an expat which seems to indicate that it is on the minds of many:

“I think we're whistling Dixie if we think the government is going to bail us out,” said an expat who attended the meeting and asked not to be identified.

In an article yesterday, they quantified the loss at around 12 million dollars, of which 7 million dollars is attributable to the depositors and 5 million to the stockholders.

That same article says that there are around 1,661 people with balances over 10,000. So at the minimum, these people are owed 1,661 x 10,000 = 16,610,000.  Howver, we know there many accounts that exceeded 10,000 including some as high as 1 million.  It would reasonable to assume those 1,661 depositors have as much as 20 million owed to them.

In any case, if the loss of 7 million is correct (a big if), it would seem to me that there may be at least 13 million dollars to distribute among those 1,661 depositors.

Using that logic, a depositor with 50,000 could expect:

13/20 x 50,000 = 32,500

Bob,
I was just in a fabulous house last week. It was gated, had a front and side yard, 4 bedrooms, huge bathrooms, < 3 with tubs>
came with appliances, but needed all the other furnishings. You come out the front door, take a turn, past one house, cross the road, and you are on the river. This was located in what I would call a residential neighborhood. All stand alone homes. The expat that was renting there told me that his total outlay for housing, to include high speed internet and cable t.v. was $ 550.00 per month. Now granted, this was not close to El Centro, and I realize that is a huge draw for many. It might not have as much availability to local little shops... but the place was beautiful, and that price was awesome to me.
So, those places are still available, and at very good costs. This place was found by a local.
Stay Well,
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

So you completely settled in, furnished, and equipped Neil?

çhttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-p3wAvtuhpZA/UeGaMxDDIUI/AAAAAAAABJo/w4_jAnCNL1Q/s283/Newspaper-DHF-Headlines6.gif.png

A while back I mentioned some restaurants were shut down for not issuing receipts to clients.

Well, according to El Tiempo, the tax agency shut down some brothels last night for the same reason.

The person in charge made a good point, however:

Blanca Guillén, representante de las casas de tolerancia, manifestó que por tratarse de una actividad en la que se mezcla la venta de bebidas alcohólicas y servicios sexuales, resulta difícil entregar facturas a los clientes porque puede ser causa de disoluciones de matrimonios y separaciones de parejas.

Blanca Guillen, representative of the houses of tolerance, manifested that because they are mixing the sale of alcoholic beverages with sex services, it is difficult to deliver receipts to the clients because it can cause the break up of marriages and separation of couples.

No Sir,
Being that I'm here alone, I just ordered the rudimentary things needed to settle in. I ordered a bedroom set, dining room set, and the living room stuff. I have been scrambling to set up the kitchen. I did get all my appliances.
You really have no idea what you will miss until you start from scratch.... even dumb things like rubber bands! But.... it's coming along fine.
You know where I am. I realize you are incognito, but feel free to put on a bandana, and stop in anytime. I have the BBQ in place, and fired it up the other night. Sweet!!!
I had all the furniture custom made, and I have to say, I couldn't be happier with the end product. Nothing fancy mind you, but all solid wood construction. He also supplied my pillow top mattress, and I'm very happy with it. It also came with a 3 year " No Cootie " warranty.
Life is good!
< jokes on him: I came w/ cooties!>
Cha Cha
Neil
Ps. Meeting some really cool people in the building, tons of Ecuadorians, so NOT a gringo building, although we are represented!

No receipts were issued at Brothels because an itemized bill would be a threat to marriages and the family.  I never realized the love of family was that deep, so all encompassing.  Damn paperwork!!!

Nards Barley wrote:

Blanca Guillen, representative of the houses of tolerance, manifested that because they are mixing the sale of alcoholic beverages with sex services, it is difficult to deliver receipts to the clients because it can cause the break up of marriages and separation of couples.

LOL! Of course, just because a receipt is issued, doesn't mean the customer can't just leave it behind.

Any married customer of a brothel who is dumb enough to take a receipt home, deserves whatever ensues.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

I was just in a fabulous house last week. It was gated, had a front and side yard, 4 bedrooms, huge bathrooms, < 3 with tubs> came with appliances, but needed all the other furnishings.

Neil:

Sounds great. I don't need that much house (I want a 2br or a largish 1br), but if something like that is available for $550 all in, then I should be able to do much better on what I'm looking for. Of course, I want something furnished as well, and it seems that adds about $100 or so to the rent.

Not quite ready to start the countdown, but I have about 90 days before I leave the Philippines, and then I'll start counting toward my next move.

Bob

Bob,
Keep in touch.
The local gal that found this house for the gringo's is really connected in the real estate business. She is not a realtor, just a hustler that has a ton of contacts.< many of them apartments >
Oh, she'll also attempt to sell you a toaster and ironing board. Just part of the game.
But.... I went to at least 7 appliance stores, and in the end, the first one we went to (a friend of hers) was the cheapest.
I also got all my furniture manufactured by an old classmate of hers. Very fair prices and outstanding quality.
Your time will fly by!!! See you soon.
Safe Travels,
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

You know where I am.

You are in sector Zona Rosa, about a 1/2 mile south of barrio Cayambe which is in the sector Zona de Tolerancia.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

feel free to put on a bandana

Never leave home without it.

P.S.
I will unblock the PM feature and send you a PM this week. Maybe we can hit the famous Moca Cafe for a bagel since it it nearby.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_9OaTgevrDxu-72kpn1Zeb5aAYJfzg7k8-MiYp1CirVhsJ36hzA

I had taken preparations before coming to Cuenca, including getting a hair cut, which would hold me over for at least 6 weeks.

The first place I stayed at in Cuenca was the Villa Nova Inn for about a month.  It is a little crowded for me, but it is a good location.

I then stayed for couple weeks at the Macondo Hostal, where I inquired to an employee about where I could get a haircut. She directed me to a place on Mariscal Lamar, just west of Tarqui.

Here is a photo of the place:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-QCFd31oIJsY/Uef48ijjReI/AAAAAAAABKE/jFliSX_UsoM/s800/Erikas.jpg

The owner of the shop(Erikas) is named Marina, and the store is named after her daughter who attends the University of Cuenca, and sometimes does peopleŽs nail. I pay $4 for my haircut, which I think includes a $1 tip, although I probably should ask her if she has raised her prices since it has been over a year.

It's been over a year?  I haven't gone that long without a haircut since the Vietnam War ended.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0kBrMG7a4Fct4CJmtJDkPVyh8h5oFW91VYJtZRZ-f2ptQfdgFBw

For the second time in the past two weeks, I have seen an expat wearing a poncho around town.

To each his own, but I donŽt think that wearing a poncho in Cuenca scores you additional points for cultural integration. Quite the opposite actually.

Nards Barley wrote:

To each his own, but I donŽt think that wearing a poncho in Cuenca scores you additional points for cultural integration. Quite the opposite actually.

Some people really buy into the "We all must adapt to the local culture" credo.

Or maybe they just think it's comfortable.

Me -- I want a cape, like what we always see Dracula wearing, though I think I'd like something colorful instead of black.

I think I'd look very dashing. Or silly -- one or the other.

They are comfy and also warm. Easy to put on and they keep your hands free for carrying things like grocery bags. We use to wear 'em when we were hip in the 70's.

Nards Barley wrote:

[img align=C]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0kBrMG7a4Fct4CJmtJDkPVyh8h5oFW91VYJtZRZ-f2ptQfdgFBw[/url]

For the second time in the past two weeks, I have seen an expat wearing a poncho around town.

Perhaps they are fans of the Sergio Leone westerns starring Clint Eastwood as The Man With No Name.  Every time I see a man in a poncho smoking those small cigars I think of the great music by Ennio Morricone.

Me.....
I always wanted an outfit like The Cisco Kid wore. All black and silvery! I even named my first horse Diablo after his mount.
Ohh hoho Poncho!!!

http://issuu.com/cghh/docs/cuenca_guide … tic_health

This is a resource some might find useful. G

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Me.....
I always wanted an outfit like The Cisco Kid wore. All black and silvery!

Does this mean you're an Oakland Raiders fan?

Among the various cowboy shows of that era, The Cisco Kid was not high on my list. I think I liked Range Rider best.