Advice on Living in PNG

Hi there,

I may be offered an expat assignment to work in PNG on the LNG project.  While the package is extremely tempting, I am a 39 year old female European, British but based in NZ.  How safe is it for a female in PNG?  I keep hearing lots of war stories on how bad it is, but would welcome a balance of responses and some common sense advice on how to avoid getting into trouble over there.  I am also a pretty sociable person, is there a big expat social scene?  How socially isolating is it, when living in a compound?

Any replies / advice would be most welcomed.

Sarah

hello

it is often so interesting for me since I am from PNG reading these posts.  Unfortuantaley the media so often scaremongers potential expats to PNG.  Don't get me wrong parts of the country have their probs but I have also lived in Africa and PNG is a walk in the park compared to zimbabwe for example.

There is a huge expat scene in the main cities but I think its sad because it is a very segregated community.  Aussies meet Aussies, send their kids to private schools. Drive around in their air conitioned Landcrusiers and generally live their lives in fear in the 'compounds' never enjoying PNG as a whole and then complaing of the lack of facilities whilst all the while living in their bubble.

To move to PNG takes courage but also the right person.  I belives you need to be able to embrace both the expat and local lifestyle or u will never enjoy it too scared becasue your expat buddies have told you horror stories.  If you can get this right u will love PNG...

ngimangi wrote:

hello

it is often so interesting for me since I am from PNG reading these posts.  Unfortuantaley the media so often scaremongers potential expats to PNG.  Don't get me wrong parts of the country have their probs but I have also lived in Africa and PNG is a walk in the park compared to zimbabwe for example.

There is a huge expat scene in the main cities but I think its sad because it is a very segregated community.  Aussies meet Aussies, send their kids to private schools. Drive around in their air conitioned Landcrusiers and generally live their lives in fear in the 'compounds' never enjoying PNG as a whole and then complaing of the lack of facilities whilst all the while living in their bubble.

To move to PNG takes courage but also the right person.  I belives you need to be able to embrace both the expat and local lifestyle or u will never enjoy it too scared becasue your expat buddies have told you horror stories.  If you can get this right u will love PNG...

Hi Ngimangi ...

I'm a guy and I am considering an appointment within the Palm Oil Industry ... in Kimbe I believe ...

I am a Muslim and I do not have any inhibitions about living amongst the locals but rather, if you don't mind that is, could you describe a little about Kimbe ... ??? How're are the locals there ??? Is English spoken everywhere as it would help me get by whilst I learn some local dialect ... Also, if you are aware, are there any Muslim Communities in Kimbe ???

Thanx a lot for any advice and tips that you might want to share with me ...

Sarah, living here in Papua New Guinea is a matter of self discipline.....this is the key of living here.....there are so many women expat workers here. Regarding social life...this will depend on the location of your destination.....if you will assign in Port Moresby, Boroko, NCD, 6 Mile, 4 Mile, 7 Mile or 5 Mile then there is a nightlife.....I am not familiar with the other places of PNG when it regards to night life. 

Mr. Jean

Hi Sarah

Am wondering if you moved to PNG in the end?

I am wanting to re locate to PNG would greatly appreciate being able to quiz you on your experiences to date if you have gone over.

I am from Te Anau (Southland) but currently living in Aussie....

Cheers
Anna