Recently arrived in PR and looking for People in similar situation

Hi,

We have recently arrived in PR and are looking for groups or communities to get involved in.

We are a 5 person family, living in Palmas Del Mar, with the children attending Palmas Academy.

Are there any other expats living in Palmas that can give advice on where to meet people etc etc.?

Whilst I work, the rest of the family feel a little stranded and would like to meet people etc.

cheers,

Leon :)

Hi Leon and welcome to Puerto Rico!

I'm sure there are more expats living in Palmas. You may meet them in the usual places like restaurants, sport clubs, the marina and via the Palmas Academy of course.

In the metro area there's the Newcomers Club of San Juan - www.newcomerspr.com .

Many countries have their own social club - contact the consul of your home country to find out more.

Leon, Good to hear that.  My family and I live in Palmas.  We're currently traveling in the US but will be back the first of June.  What subdivision are you in within Palmas?  I have a young son as well. 

The Beach Club is always a good place to find nice people.  Also, Palmanova Plaza usually has functions each month on the weekends and a lot of our fellow residents come to eat and join in the good conversations.

I know there is a lady's group of non-PR natives that meet periodically in Palmas that your wife may like to connect with. 

We know lots of folks in Palmas, especially business owners, so if you ever need a reference, let me know.  By the way, if you haven't been to Bistro Rico (restaurant) yet, please visit them.  Bistro is located near the old marina in Palmas.  They have some of the best food in Palmas.  Specifically ask for J.R.  He is one of the best bartenders there - tell him Tony from Chicago recommended you stop in.

By the way, where are you from?

Hello!  We are moving from Michigan to PR in Sept. 2013.  We will be living up in the hills by Las Piedras.  My brother-in-law and his wife works at the Palmas---It is a beautiful place!
We will be homeschooling our kids as only my husband knows spanish and I really didn't think we could afford to send them to private school. I had three big concerns about moving to PR, and one of them was meeting new people so my kids wouldn't feel so isolated.  Right now we joined newcomers club of San Juan which is not very close to be involved but they have been very helpful in answering questions--they also have a facebook page that is more active than the club website.  They also do sight seeing trips all around the island so that sounded like fun.  Maybe you can answer a question for me?  I haven't been able to locate a evangelical church that may be bilingual in the Humacao- Las Piedras area....any chance that you have come across one?  We are very involved in our church in the States and that can be a good way to meet new people also. Thanks! (Stephanie)

Exciting.  My family is from Las Piedras and many are still there.  Where do your brother-in-law and his wife work in Palmas?  I may know them.

I'm not sure about many of the churches in Las Piedras or surrounding areas.  There is a church in Palmas that has service in English.  I'm not sure what the denomination is however.

I hope this helps.

Hello Tony,

Sorry for the delay in replying, and thanks for taking the time to post.

We are in the Montecarlo area in Palmas, so pretty close to the Plaza, and have seen a few events there, but not been sure what they are, I guess we just have to get on up there and check it out properly and get involved.

We have been down to the Old Marina, not sure where we ate though, will check that one out and look for JR.
We also found another place last night near the plaza which was nice, Cafe de la Plaza i think, so we are trying to get ourselves out there.

We have come from England to Palmas

Hope your travels in US are well, and if you have time when you get back to Palmas, let me know.

cheers,

Leon

Hello Stephanie,

Unfortunately the only Church I know of the one in Palmas that Tony mentioned, it's very popular.

We had and have the same concerns as you about the children being isolated, school helps, and my youngest daughter is making new friends everyday, finding out where they live and things like that.

I too have looked at Newcomers club in San Juan, and where we are, it's a bit far as you say, but might be good for events and the like.

Hope your move goes well when you make it over here.

cheers,

Leon

I am familiar with Montecarlo.  We live in the Harbour Lights subdivison.

Cafe de la Plaza is a usual spot for us.  I like the fact it's tucked away in a quiet little area.  The restuarants down by the old marina are all owned by Chez Daniel.  They are (in order when entering from the parking lot) Bistro Rico, then Tapas Bar, the Chez Daniel.  All good choices.

Another good spot to meet people from all diferent walks of life is at the new Yacht Club, specifically at the Tiki Bar.  If you drink, try the Pain Killer or Bushwacker.

When school gets out soon and all the residents are back in Palmas, weekends at Palmanova will be a zoo!  Lot's of teenagers driving golf carts, etc.  This is when you'll see Palmanova packed every weekend.  Other than that, for young kids, the Beach Club is a good place to make friends.  My son also goes to tennis clinics every blue moon, lots of kids there.

Also, in case no one gave you a heads-up yet, watch the beaches in Palmas.  They can be very dangerous due to rip tides and strong currents.  Keep the young ones close to shore.

Let me know if you have any more questions, hope to see you this summer.