Where to get a decent road map of the Dominican Republic..?

Heck even the ones you get from the Car rental agencies are not correct.. I realize we have a bunch of new highways in the past year..  I have asked a lot of people. but no one really has an answer.. Most are printed by resorts etc. showing only thiers and other local popular destinations... I am looking for a real cross country map...

Any suggestions?? Thanks..

Boy that is a good question. We have an updated Garmin GPS for our car and it is not always correct.

Bob K

LOL.. Bob.. I have a Garmin Nuvi Here and it does not know where it is..  No Detail.. Where did you get the updates from or some download? Do you remember?? thx..

Don't remember exactly where but is the latest updates still does not show the newer open highways and has many  roads mislabeled and in the wrong places sometimes.  My wife says it many times gives you just enough information to really get lost :)

Bob K

Looking for the shortest distance from Punta Cana, Bavaro to Caberete and Luperon.. Without having to go thru Santo Domingo etc.

Not concerned about travel time... Want to see the country anyway..

Like to avoid the big mess going thru and around Santo Domingo... Dos nothing for me..  Santiago is almost as bad...

Heck.. Yesterday going thru Higuey, we were almost clipped 5 times..!!!

I can't remember if it is just before or just after the SD airport there is a new highway (toll road but not bad) that heads north to Nagua.  It is a beautiful road and gets you to the north coast in about 1.5 hours.  Than in at the end head west to Cabarete - Sosua- Puerto plata- and Luperon. You never go near Santiago or Santo Domingo on going this way and it saves about 2 hours of driving time.

Bob K

Will  be going next Monday..!!!

Have a great road trip

Bob K

Make sure you post your experiences for us all!!!! Have fun.

planner wrote:

Make sure you post your experiences for us all!!!! Have fun.

Well downloaded a Dominicam Republic map from GPS Travelmaps to my Garmin Nuvi... $49.99 later,, but works while driving around town... Even has the small roads in Punta Cana and Cap Cana,,,,   BUT TRANSPORTATION STRIKE NOW.... NO GAS..... LOL.  Looks like next week... Man.. I will get there one day.

Awww, what a bad timing, Captsam54!  Hope the strike issue settles down and that you are able to get gas soon so that you can make your trip pronto!

We will be waiting to hear all about it! :D

Update..... Did a couple of road trips to Luperon and back to Punta Cana... The 1st. trip, I didn't see the turn off for the new Samana Highway on my GPS. (had it zoomed to close) and ended up lost in Santo Domingo for a hour..... Had to zoom out to find patch or side roads to get a highway outta there..... Ended up on the highway out to Santiago.... But about a 3rd of the way there I saw a sign saying "Samana" highway 19... I took that.. Nice 2 lane road.. Ended up in Nagua... And then took the coast road to Cabarete.... Love that drive...  From there to Puerto Plata and on to Luperon.... The GPS didn't help me much thru Puerto Plata.... Had to guess... Didn't make too many wrong turns till I got on the right road... Once in Luperon I had remembered everything from before...  On the way back I just used the GPS for reference.. Took the new Samana highway back.... Almost 500 pesos in tolls.. (free for motos) There are a couple of turns you have to remember or follow the traffic.. But for the most part, once you have been thru there it is easy....  The second time I went I forgot the GPS at the casa...(LOL).. But remembered everything and no problems.. Found the Samana Turnoff.... With the help of my passenger.... and everything there and back was all good....

Still looking for a good road map as my next trip will be going down the south west side and up through to the north west... Going everywhere across the Dominican republic....!!!

Love your tales hon.

Actually we have found our Garmin GPS to be generally good but many times are just off enough to get  you lost :). Still the best thing available for more up to date info.
Any road maps we have found have been sorely out of date.

Bob K

planner wrote:

Love your tales hon.

LOL... Will try to keep them coming..... Some extensive traveling soon...

We had some tourists in the other day.. And they Had a Map of the DR. from National Geographic, Adventure Map... Looks quite detailed... Here is a link to one...

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/ … enture-map

Thanks for the link.  Funny story - one of my clients asked the driver to get him a "map" while he went into a meeting.  When we came out the driver had gone to Office Depot and got him a 4 foot by 4 foot laminated "map".  We howled with laughter and the poor driver just didn't understand.

planner wrote:

Thanks for the link.  Funny story - one of my clients asked the driver to get him a "map" while he went into a meeting.  When we came out the driver had gone to Office Depot and got him a 4 foot by 4 foot laminated "map".  We howled with laughter and the poor driver just didn't understand.

LOL... I would like one of those for my wall at the casa..!!!

I know where to get one!!!!LOL  Just let me know.

planner wrote:

I know where to get one!!!!LOL  Just let me know.

In Bayahibe now.... When U coming this way???

Good roads and some bad!
Fun to read all the various road trips of the Capt and others  here, i have travelled DR extensively from east to west and north to south, many times in santo domingo and it's suburbs !!! Some are scary other aeras need serious irrigation and road work. Wonderfull countryside to see and indulge during daytime...

Actually have found one but have not procured it yet.... Comes from the USA and National Geographic.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321198317048?ss … 1423.l2661

There are lots of maps available locally,  country,  city etc and of course there is always google maps....

You can buy them in grocery stores, hardware stores and many tourism related stores.