New...

New here and not living in a compound at the moment, and it's pretty lonely.

Any one up for hanging out somewhere or any activities.  I heard there's an expat beach around here somewhere, is this true? 

Are there any compounds I can go to to hang out with other expats?

Thanks

Russsty wrote:

New here and not living in a compound at the moment, and it's pretty lonely.

Any one up for hanging out somewhere or any activities.  I heard there's an expat beach around here somewhere, is this true? 

Are there any compounds I can go to to hang out with other expats?

Thanks

Hey my fellow expat friend! Welcome :)

The activities to hang out or going to a beach require either a family or an organization of friends which you will have to make first :). Although you can go alone to a beach, shopping Malls, Coffee Shops, but you will not enjoy the trip unless someone is with you. I would advise you to first make some friends around.

Expat Beach, well no, there isn't any beach reserved only for expats as far as I know. However, there are two Beaches known as 'KFUPM Beach' and 'Aramco Beach' in which you need to have a sponsor to enter into them. Aramco Beach gives an air of freedom because there is no segregation in it. KFUPM Beach is more family oriented and requires segregation.

Half Moon Bay is full of public beaches but I warn you that most of the places are only reserved for families. However, many areas you would equally find for singles (Men only).

Regarding compounds, no you can't simply enter into them, you need to have a sponsor who is residing in the compound.

Cheers,

sheesh, i thought people in the eastern region had it better than us here in riyadh. .. ..

or maybe you need to get a second opinion :lol:

Salman Omrani wrote:

sheesh, i thought people in the eastern region had it better than us here in riyadh. .. ..

or maybe you need to get a second opinion :lol:

Salman, it is indeed a hell better than Riyadh (sorry to say but it is the reality :) )

The family beaches, even if you go as a single, you will not face an immediate risk of being kicked out :) But it will not feel nice, I mean the family members will look at you as if they are not feeling comfortable, and the security will also politely request you to change the place.

Moreover, there are many beach sections on the Half Moon Bay where families and Bachelors both can go and swim (girls have to swim in Abaya, sorry no bikinis allowed yet :P) and B.B.Q. There are shopping stalls, food exhibition, camel and horse riding etc. On Weekends, National day and Eid days these places are too much crowded and you will see lots of car maneuvers (if u know what I mean ;)