One Day in Belize...What To Do?

Diane and I are planning to make our first exploratory trip to Belize next year. However, we are taking a cruise later this year that has a port of call in Belize.  We would like to use this stop as a "mini-exploratory" trip.  We are hoping to get some ideas as to what we could do/see in a day.  We're not looking for the usual cruise excursion stuff, but would like to use the time to scope out the area the best we can.

We did have one suggestion to take a water taxi to San Pedro, which sounds like a good idea.  Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks, as usual!

My wife and did that last year, it is hard to get a feel for the area in that short of time. If you plan to move there you need to spend a few days in different places, depending on what you are looking for.
Captain Dave

Thanks Dave.  Yea, as I mentioned we are planning on a longer trip (1-2 weeks) next year, but wanted to use this one day to our best advantage...

What kind of area are you looking for, what do you like to do. San Pedro is about the only choice you have on the cruise but check the times for water shuttle. You do not want to miss the big boat
Capatin Dave

Lamanai Boat Tour is a good choice.  You get to see flora, fauna, etc along the river trip and taste Belize food at Lamanai then get a good tour of the Mayan ruins there with narration by a knowledgeable guide.  This is done in the time allotted from a cruise ship and most enjoyable.