Transition

Actually I am in the prcoessng of getting to cebu, but I wnated to "hook-up" with all of you to make my transition smoother and avoid headaches that perhaps you experienced.  I am a missioanry coming to do work in cebu.  But also I am engaged to marry a gwapa filipina widow with three gwapa anak na babaes (I am just showing off that I am learning cebuano visaya)

I am arriving in cebu on Nov 2nd and will be married on Dec 3rd.  Between Nov 2nd and Dec 3rd I will be buying a car, renting/buying a home and furnishing the home.

I am hoping that I will get much helkp from my new "ex-pat fmaily" to avoid pitfalls and make wise decisions.  I know my od will take care of me, but I believe it is He who caused me to get connected with you.

If you have advice for me, please feel free to contact me via my email, [email protected]

Looking forward ot meeting many of you who may reside on cebu.

Blessings,

Ralph

Hello,can i ask if you have been to Cebu?

No, I have been to the Philippines many times but never on cebu.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

What type of missionary?

Hello Mtcretired,

Cebu has dangerous air pollution. I couldn't make myself live there.

Yesterday, my faction and I moved to Ormoc, a house almost on the ocean costs me $250 month. Air is good here.

Ormoc is a or "the" #1 "clean and green" city in Asia; geo-thermal energy is major.

Godspeed,
Pqmaxon

Simply Bible believing/teaching Christian, enables me to work with all others.

Unfortunately God is calling me to cebu. LOL, but we will probably live in Mandaue, which a filipino friend I worked with at Johns Hopkins tells me it has better air.  What is your opionion on that?

Do not have a choice, that is where God has called me.  Do not know if we will live in Cebu City, Mandaue or more in the Province outside of the cities but my work is to be in Cebu City.  My bride ot be was born in daanbantayan in the province and she has lived in Mandaue for 18 years and has a small home she and her late husband bought so she knows it all very well.

Re: Informations about life in Cebu
Weather in cebu would be very similar to brisbane..think maybe spring in brisbane or near summer.

Food... Love cebuano food! A bit greasy and fattening but it is delicious!

Shopping.. Better shopping than some places in oz actually and not as pricey as sydney! Definitely better shopping than when i lived in new zealand. Shops dont close until 9-10pm!

Language... Generally all business establishment can speak english. Banks, malls, shops, restos.. English. Taxis.. Not much but still they will get you where u need to go.

Rent... Find an apartment in a decent part of town. Check out newspaper ads unlike in au. Cebu dont have property managers unless u want a condo unit or a building apt. Those would have property managers but most stand alone properties are probably family managed and owned.

Safety.. Still generally safe compared to manila. Beware of pickpockets/snatchers in the downtown area. But usually in the upscale place... Moderately safe. Just dont wave around wads of cash or drape yourself in bling..you should be fine. The police isn't as bad as in manila..in manila, the police is just a thief in uniform. In cebu at least they are still pretty decent. Also the airport personnel in cebu are friendlier compared to manila.

People. There are still beggars particularly child beggars. My daughter kept asking me if their mummy/ daddy died and left them in the streets. Quite sad. We usually give food rather than money as my friends warn me they could just be part of some syndicate and if u give them money they would still be hungry at  the end of the day, but generally lots of good people in cebu. More laidback than manila again but still very metropolitan... Lots of night life, coffee shops open til 2am!

[link under review] .new era inn....u can stay here initially. It's not a hotel like the name says but an inn and its pretty cheap. Think.. Base backpacker only so much cleaner plus much more decent! It's small but if you are out most of the time.. it should do for the price. Since its cheap, we got to book ourselves in  the more expensive places like imperial park (it has waterslides for kids but man they were pricey) and use our money for other stuff than paying for a top hotel. Its also pretty near the big malls...night life and the airport.

But if u got a house already..then you're sorted. The comment about pollution.. Well anywhere you go in asia...it wll be polluted. I lived in nz for 4 yrs.. Best air ever! Sydney ... It is still pretty good but i live by the coast here but when im at my sister's place out west..i can see smog over the motorway!

Went to beijing... Smog smog smog! Hongkong was better but still... Now i have come to realize than when i am in a different country, i set my standard accordingly.

I have learned that 1st world problems are not applicable in 3rd world countries and best to enjoy what is there since i went there on my own freewill and choice:)

As a rule of thumb.., ask for the best price!!! When buying anything specially furnitures.

Dont pat the stray dogs! There are alot of them.. Some looks rabid and seriously needs to be put down for mercy.

Ask the taxi always for the meter... And if u know the way tell him. They can be a sneaky bunch.

If ur going to eat street food.. Or from one of those local eatery, check if there are lots of people usually means it is safe to eat there. Clean the utensils or just buy and then eat at home. Drink bottle water or a soda with a straw.

Next rule of thumb     get to know the woman u intend to marry.... so many guys come here with high hopes lots leave with them dashed.

2nd rule of thumb   dont do anything in this country  you would not do at home( ie marrying a woman u hardly know and have only talked to on the internet...see   rule of thumb above)

Are u really sure  GOD is calling  u to cebu  or  are u confusing that with your feelings for a woman.

Do not give street  beggars money... this does not help them.. unless u think breathing in traffic fumes all day begging for money is a great way of living...  there are lots and lots of missionary's and orphanages here.
I worked with a few and usually these are the kids that do not like being told what to do or their families  or masters( thats the overseer) aren't terribly nice people.

Giving food is the best option   if u feel  your heart breaking but i have been spat on  for that and have also watched a mother take all the food i have given to her children and eat it all herself ( it is what it is poverty is full on here and u have to either learn to deal with it  and get over it or go home).

If u feel  the need to give to charity   well  there is rotary clubs here  lions clubs christian and catholic missionary's ( all of which  if  u or anyone else is feeling in a giving nature)
I can introduce u too  and i know these people  the money does go to where it is needed ( please moderators  I am not asking for money  just pointing out that if u are going to give   give it where it will actually make a dent)

God is great   but remember kids cant eat bibles  lol...

Dont get involved with the nasty side of the city with the bars and that...  they will drag u down and takes a long time for some guys to crawl their way out of them.
People  stare here    doesnt mean they want to fight u    they are just curious.
Get used to taxi's beeping u... stoping in front of u... forever hasling  u  if u want to ride them... Get used to not being able to find a bloody taxi when u actually need one.

Jeepneys are cheap   go almost everywhere and are safe during the day and early evening.
Dont get offended  that u will be often asked if u would like a good time  or a massage ( lots of sex tourists come here so if u are  puti( white) then u are generalized often as one).
Oh  and dude  never  ever  bad mouth that catholic church...  good way to end up  running from unhappy locals.

im going there sometime next year and would like tomeet up for friendship,ill be exploring my options cuz i plan tomove there sometime in the near future.thanks.

Just make sure u visit here for a few months   before  u make a decission to live here

some love it  some hate it   some   ( sigh)  lol

ive been there a few times and i love it,specially in the provinces

yep  the provinces  are  gold.... the cities  not so much   but i guess  if u need  constant medical care  or things that only cities provide    then cities are the go.
My area of choice is negros       i like it there   a bit from the main city    but not to far   if emergency's do arrive.

I know alot of people that live in different parts of here  in the provinces     just watch how u treat people...  this is asia  and if someone has a problem with u   they wont say it to your face....  the will be gutless  and do things behind your back....
DO NOT LIVE NEAR YOUR WIFE'S FAMILY
I put this in caps   so u read it    acknowledge it  and now u can't say u have not been told....

Everyone i know   has where they like to live here.
Its all personal choices       u just got to live here  travel around  and find  where u want  bro.
Some times  u might have to move and move   then u find the place u want to live   and then u have to move  as  the locals got jealous  and started making trouble...
Remember  we are a guest here     and quiet often when things do go wrong  u will be reminded of that  in a rather forcefull and untactful way.
:D:D:D
I know guys that have been forced to sell their homes.. leave their stuff...   so just  protect yourself and watch yourself..
I dont have problems here   but then again   i make sure i dont either.

yeah im considering cebu,bohol and dumaquete,guess il wait to be theresoon,thanks