Filing for U.S. taxes once moved to and living in Brazil

Being that we're in the midst still of tax season here in the States, a question suddenly ocurred to me and it's actually pretty scary that I didn't think of this before, but, let's say that (hypothetically speaking as far as the DATES go) I were to move to Brazil in October or November of this year (2013). How then do I file for my 2013 U.S. taxes once I'm THERE if I don't want to have to fly back to the States just for that? IS there a way of filing without coming back to the states?

you can e-file (sometimes) or you can do them on paper and mail them. Even after you've lived out of the country for YEARS, you still have to file. The IRS makes sure you can do it, don't worry.

If you are concerned about filing your US Income Tax returns you will get most of the information you need here.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Internat … ens-Abroad

You can e-file from anywhere in the world if you aren't already doing so then you can either download forms or obtain them from the US Embassy/Consulate and paper file by mail.

Don't forget that the USA is one of the countries who base Income Taxes on citizenship and not residency, so no matter how long you remain out of the country you will have to continue to file income tax returns and report your world income no matter where it is earned.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you as alqays for the info.

I saw the Philadelphia (which is ironically where I NOW reside) IRS office contact info for international tax assitance. But other than that, how could I go about finding out if there is TAX ASSISTANCE SERVICES for U.S. expatriates RIGHT IN Fortaleza? I've tried searching online but nothing definitive come us which leads me to believe that doesn't exist.

Hi again lacret60,

I doubt that the IRS has any offices at all in Brazil. You would likely have to deal with the IRS in the USA by telephone or fax if you can find a fax number.

Should you run into any major problems I'm sure that the US Embassy or Consulate nearest to Fortaleza can help you out with info.

Cheers,

Seems I'm single-handedly keeping you busy. But seems the more I know and learn, the more I realize there REMAINS to know and learn.

Again I erred in being too vague in my last question, so I apologize. I guess I should have been more clear when I said TAX ASSISTANCE SERVICES in Fortaleza that I was not referring to having in-Brazil access to the IRS. I was more just referring to if there were ex-patriate U.S. ACCOUNTANTS, for example, in Fortaleza who are familiar with filing from Brazil as an expatriate. That's what I've tried to find on the internet and accounting firms come up but not in Fortaleza nor Brazil. Just here in the U.S.

IS there a website where I could find an ex-patriate U.S. accountant in Fortaleza?

If not, I'll definitely just call the IRS office in Philadelphia or reach out to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy nearest to Fortaleza.

You aren't the ONLY one that's full of questions so don't feel bad. I've got lots of people keeping me hopping, guess that's one reason that I've acquired such a vast bank of knowledge about the bureaucracy here in Brazil. (Silver lining to the dark cloud)

Anyway, you will probably stand a better chance of finding an accountant who can handle things for you once you actually arrive in Fortaleza. If you're at all familiar with filing your own returns doing so from here by yourself shouldn't be so difficult.

Good luck and cheers,

From a quick Google search of "US income tax preparation for expats in Brazil" it looks like most of the online tax prep services are actually USA based.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for Googling that for me!! Seems your search came up the same as mine, but at least yours CONFIRMED my suspicions that they all seem to be U.S.-based.

See you on my next question (whatever it may be!)!

I'll be here waiting! LOL

See you then

Hi lacret60,

You may want to contact one of our members, Diane Siriani - User Name: expatriatetaxreturns  by private message, discuss your tax situation with her and perhaps she can look after everything for you.

Cheers,

Wow!!! (Or should I say, "Nossa!!!," as my Brazilian beauty says?) Thanks for that contact! I'll definitely be reaching out to her. Muito obrigada, meu amigo!!!

See you next time! LOL!!

You can file your taxes on-line with the IRS.  Just access www.irs.gov and following instructions on the website.