Car Tax / Insurance

I have a question about my car insurance. I wonder is it possible to register and tax my car in Belgium without being an official resident here? My car is insured with a Belgian Insurance company and im having issues with DVLA as it is not a UK registered and certified insurance co.

Anybody have any info on this for me?

Also would anybody know what a rough price for taxing the car? Its an Audi A4 estate 2.0 Diesel Quattro.

Thanks

All i can say is I was able to drive with my car for about 9 months. On uk tax and insureance in Belgium then i imported my car insureance doubbled from what it was in uk and had to pay about 500 euro for lights

No you must be registered here to register the car too, but a car insurance broker will be able to verify this.

The taxes for importing a car and annual taxes are all in this for Wallonia and Brussels, I think Flanders has different rates/rules.
http://koba.minfin.fgov.be/commande/pdf … C-2012.pdf

It's not easy to work out which group your car is in, you would need to post the cyclinders cm3 too and how old it is as well. With that, I could probably tell you the importation and annual taxes.

Something else ive rembered to that i had a hard time getting from uk. You need something called a certificate of conformity. I had to get mine from uk as they dont give them out in Belguim for forgain cars. I had to phone a office for Citroen in uk and they did we one for about 125 pounds

Basically I was in Belgium for 6 months and then I got my id card of residence card or whatever it was. Then I got a insurance broker who got me a price for my car in Belgium. Like I said it was double in insureance. Then I had to get a stamp from my broker saying they would insure the car. Then with the cert of conformity I went for the road test. Then i got the car insured and the tax letter came a few months later. It was a i.6 petrol and cost over 300 euro in tax.

I didnt have to pay import tax due to I had owned the car for some time in uk and it was about 5 years old

I had a insurance broker with one of the Fintro banks. The manger there was very helpful in taking me through the process

Husband got his certificate of conformity before leaving the UK and it cost nothing at all from VW UK.

Yeah I know someone else who got theres for free so I think it depends on the company I didnt know about this and had to move in quite a rush so I had to call from here and they posted me it over

It all turned out to be a waste in the end as about 9 months after the process car broke down and we ended up having to buy a new car

All cars have an importation tax, with the exception of LPG - one year old. For some cars, imporation tax is less than €62 and for some it is over €3200. It is billed with your annual road tax so quite easy to miss, especially if it is a small amount.

Personally I think it's crazy to import a Right hand Drive car into Belgium.
It's more hassle and jumping through hoops than it's worth IMO.

We've currently got a mini bus and a light load van from the UK (Still UK registered at the momtent)that we use for the bar (Getting stock/ferrying local sports teams around/running small day trips) and it's just a pain with everything, between changing the lights over, re registering and the fact the steering wheel is on the WRONG SIDE we've decided to simply sell them both in the UK and pick up Belgian vans instead.. It's actually simpler for us to do it this way.

at the O/P,
see what the going rate for your car would be if you were to sell it and price a similar model over here (it will most likely be more but a lot less hassle/red tape to wade through)

I guess i was lucky then having a lpg so i got out of import tax. Jemmy. I had no problem with the steering wheel. It actually made me more careful when tiring checking blind spots a lot more. I also had those extra mirrors put on. Ogrinally we weren't sure what country we would be living in permainity. Still dont until this summer. Which is why we imported as we wanted to put off buying a brand new car only to have to move bk to uk and have the wheel on the wrong side again. But well things didnt work out that way.

But yes I agree it is much easier to just get a new car. I spend ages trig to get it imported and tring to get the right information. Thank god for my insurance broker who in the end helped. I tried dexia insurance they were horrid. I also had to spend 4 hours standing at the div to get the import stamp.

It was far cheaper to import husband's car than buy another one here, it took one single day to deal with controle technique and 2 office visits and another day to change lights.

Having said it was cheaper for husband to import, it is because his car is only €300 annual road tax, plus a small import tax, it would be however very uneconomical if you had a Range Rover to import!

Lol you guys were lucky then. I found it so hard to get the right info spent about a month and a bit tring to get it all sorted. Then it had to be rushed through and took about a week and a half for the import papers insurance and getting the new plates and then lights were a little later as I had to wait a few weeks for them to get them in. Also one office gave me completely wrong info to really irrateing

the info is freely available on the internet

Yeah see i lack in googleing skills hahahaha. Actually might be helpful to post the sites on here for the Original poster

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pw … ar+belgium