Colleges & Universities in Ukraine

Greeting all,

I am curious from an expat standpoint, what are some college and university programs, specifically at the graduate level that are available and offered in English?

I am considering completing my Masters abroad and have already received acceptance into two different EU based universities. One in Holland and one in Sweden.  I may complete my masters as I am set to begin this Sept.  However, based on costs and availability, I was very curious about obtaining further advancement in my academic pursuits afterwards.  This would give me a good reason to explore the country, engaged in the culture,, language and of course be productive by furthering my education.

Anyone with any experience as an expat attending a university in Ukraine?

Thank You

I have my MA from Georgetown in the USA. Undergraduate work at the London School of Economics, Ukraine cannot match international standards. I am very involved with this country as a guest lecturer, but they are just now improving their standards from the Soviet era. There are some good universities here, but frankly, it would be difficult to use an MA from Ukraine to secure a lucrative position. Studying the Ukrainian language is a completely different issue. I speak 7 languages and have always taken advantage of many joint study abroad programs. Not only that, Ukrainian is a beautiful language. Since you brought up Sweden and the Netherlands, great schools. You would be unwise to pass up this opportunity. I have had dealings with the University of Leiden in the Netherlands ... great school. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thank you for the extensive response.  I was afraid this was the current situation and basically such low standards was primarily due to the educational isolation under Soviet rule.  I did not think many reforms could possibly happen so quickly, especially in regards to educational changes.  I am already accepted in Utrecht University which enjoyed a Top 50 spot (47) at the time of my acceptance so I will most likely complete my MA in the Netherlands.  Malmo, Sweden was my second choice and both locations obviously have much to offer in terms of overall cultural experience.  I appreciate the input.

Hello!
I guess you can consider Kiev Politechnical University ((inter.kpi.ua) or Kiev Shevchenko University ((.univ.kiev.ua/en/).Your choice should depend on what you r going to master (whether it s gonna be some political studies or some engeneering and so on).
Good luck, anyway:)

With all do respect to the young lady from Belarus who recommended two Kyiv, universities. I will stick with my statement that the caliber of education is not on par to Western standards I, in fact, have lectured at the two institutions she recommended. I would agree that the quality of these two universities is among the highest and far exceeds that of Belarus. I did read your profile, and I agree with your assessment of the USA. Now you know why I sold, my business, am semi-retired and travel about Europe ... Luck to you, and please feel free to keep in touch.

Good to know and I can see what you mean in regards to the quality of education being an issue.  I will most likely study for my Masters in the Netherlands at this stage.  Albeit, Ukraine will always be on the horizon as an expat destination for numerous reason.  As someone from the USA, how long have you been an expat and do you ever travel back to the USA?

I agree, things here are becoming vastly more authoritarian.  I do not watch the news anymore.  It is basically a psyop which effectively keeps most Americans in a state of stupor, pacified and complicit in all thing related to the government and unconstitutional laws being enacted.  Suffice to say, I feel extremely stressed living here and my anxiety grows daily when I see the disregard that the elected officials and their lobbyist cronies from Wall street abandon all middle class (99%) issues and concerns.  You would not believe the growing poverty here.  I was in new York city a few month ago and now in Southwest Florida.  Tent cities abound and families at the mercy of Goodwill & local charitable organization for sustenance.  Things are indeed progressively getting worse.

I am curious, do your write any blogs?  I am sure your experiences could make some informative reading.

I seldom return to the States for reasons similar to yours. I have spent a fourth of my life out of the country. Do to my profession, I have traveled extensively. NI like to think these experiences keep my perspective open and fresh. Thank you for the compliment. I do write a weekly column for an Internet magazine. I cover wine and spirits. My name is Gregory Alonzo.

I personally know of two officers of the U.S. armed forces who are in the service graduated the Kyiv Mohyla Academy (ukma.edu.ua/eng/)

MAJ_Lukash wrote:

I personally know of two officers of the U.S. armed forces who are in the service graduated the Kyiv Mohyla Academy (ukma.edu.ua/eng/)

Thank you for the information.  I took a cursory look at the link you provided.  The university seems to be innovative in the sense of implementing western standards and policies.  I am just curious if the degrees are recognized outside Ukraine.  The site is also bilingual in English which seems to promote the foreign acceptance.

Do you know if such universities charge tuition as I did not see anything regrading costs, especially for non-citizens.

I did like that one program, offered students the ability to design the curriculum.  This is similar to the Gallatin School at NYU.  They have a graduate program which enables individualized study.

you think in the fact that the U.S. government had sent active officers USA AF studying in Ukraine and the government has spent the money and then does not recognize their diplomas?:):cool:

Actually this is not relevant. We often do this in our military establishment. As a former Foreign Service Officer for the US State Department, a Ukrainian degree would not suffice. Furthermore, all is contingent upon one's intended career. Just my preference, I look for the best and the brightest. To each his own.

Just about any of our private universities have individualized programs of study. I earned my BA at the Claremont Colleges in California. I also designed my studies to include 1 year at the London School of Economics. I earned my MA at Georgetown University in Washington, DC. We had the same academic freedom. You are about to undertake a most important step in your life, let reason be your guide, not emotion.

spdmon wrote:

Just about any of our private universities have individualized programs of study. I earned my BA at the Claremont Colleges in California. I also designed my studies to include 1 year at the London School of Economics. I earned my MA at Georgetown University in Washington, DC. We had the same academic freedom. You are about to undertake a most important step in your life, let reason be your guide, not emotion.

Gregory - LSE is a great school.  Excellent programs.  I am actually doing the post-BA diploma in International Studies now.  In addition, they just started a Global Diplomacy MA as well. LSE is very proactive with their long distance international programs. I will be studying in Utrecht, the Netherlands doing my MA in History/Politics this Sept 2013.  Incidentally, as a businessman, how are the Ukrainian banks?  The interest rates are unheard of especially compared with the near-bankrupt and insolvent US banks which offer 0.010%.

Ukrainian banks are also not solvent. What the States and the EU are going through, Ukraine experienced a few years ago and not all is back to normal ... Just don't invest in Cyprus ... LOL!

how is the quality of education like in Ukraine compared to other Eu countries. need your comment please because am considering enrolling PG studies there. Thanks

Standards are lower than the EU. Degrees are not recognized by the International community.