Moving from UK to Germany (Stuttgart)

Hi,

I'm planning on moving to Germany from the UK to live with my girlfriend who is German.

I am unable to speak German and keen to learn but having looked around I see there are loads of different intensive courses I can take but have heard mixed reviews about each one. Does anybody have any experience with a German language course and able to offer any recommendations?

Also, can anyone advise on what I will need to do when I move? Do I need to register with the employment agency or something like that?

I am unsure where to start to find out this information but I thought I would consult some forums in the hope that there are people who have been in the same, or similar, situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Kind Regards

Sam Andrew

There are intensive German courses (usually 3-6 hours/day) at Volkshochschule, universities and some other non-profit organisations. And there are (more expensive) ones at private language schools. There are even free integration courses run by the authorities.
The quality, obviously, depends on the individual teacher and school. You have to see what is available in your loaction and enroll in what suits you best.
For other formalities, you need to register at the town's Einwohnermeldeamt within a week of moving there. You only need the employment agency if you want to work. Make sure you have the (compulsory) health insurance!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok I'll do some research into those options for language courses.

Yes, I hear the health insurance is compulsory - and quite expensive!

I will be looking for work, so I guess I will have to register with the employment agency as well!

Regards

Sam