Safety in the country outside of Cuenca

Hello All,

As the thread topic states, I am curious about safety outside of Cuenca.  In Barley's very insightful (and amusing) thread, there is talk about being robbed at gunpoint while riding a bicycle on some trails.  Others talk about knifepoint robbery.

My wife and I want to buy a small farm, outside of Cuenca.  Is that safe for whitey?  My wife is smoking hot, and I worry for her safety.  Is it like the countryside in the US, where neighbors tend to get along, and tend to keep to themselves (probably no coincidence there)?

Any input is sincerely appreciated.  We are wanting to make a new life that we can actually enjoy.

Personal safety should not be an issue while you are present. Your biggest concern will be for your property when you are away. Many folks outside the city have a caretaker to watch over their property in their absence.

Thank you Ed,

A caretaker?  I am assuming you mean if you leave the place vacant for a while, like weeks, or months.  If you just head out for the day, your stuff should be pretty safe, no?  I cannot imagine that there are people watching and waiting for you to leave so they can burglarize you........are they :|..?

How do caretakers work?  They live in your home while you are gone?  A single person, a family?  Just curious.  Thank you.

I had friends with a beautiful home in the country who were burglarized while they were away for the day. You've got to understand, Byron, that a gringo plopped down in the middle of a rural area sticks out like a sore thumb and is considered wealthy. That doesn't mean you need to live in fear but requires extra precautions.

Caretakers often live in freestanding dwellings on the property. Sometimes they oversee multiple adjacent homes and do odd jobs or yard/garden work.

I cannot think of a way to say this without you taking offense, but I can't help but notice that every question and comment you've posted have been from a "glass half-empty" perspective. In 3 years of living here I've consistently observed it's folks who arrive with such an attitude that don't make it.

Wherever your journey takes you I hope you embrace the adventure with joy and enthusiasm.

No offense taken, Ed. 

Thank you for pointing it out.  I am actually a very half-full person.  I think that is what has me looking at Ecuador.  I expect that the people are even more wonderful than the many Latin friends I have now, and look forward to meeting expats who share similar interests/feelings. I am also a realist, and am making decisions for two other people, one a 70 year old woman, so I want to be very clear and understand as much as possible before shelling out thousands to come look around.

Comments like yours are sincerely appreciated!  I am a very laid back guy, who does not require much.  I love that I can come here and throw out my ideas and concerns and let those with actual experience share their thoughts.  It's a life changing move.  I want the good, the bad, and the ugly, so their are no illusions.

Thank you, again!!

So, even though I live in the same area, and likely in the same type of home as my rural neighbors, because I am white, I am seen as wealthy, and therefor a target?  Is that pretty much the same in the city?  Are foreigners resented?

"Target" isn't the right word. I'd go with "opportunity"----.

Everywhere we're seen as wealthy (understandable in a country where the minimum wage is just over $300/mo.). I'd say the only time we're resented is when some of us forget we are guests here and display impolite and ungracious behavior.

To agree with what Edd said < no plagerisim intended Edd > I'd also add:
That you will get much aid and guidance from the local population also, if you are considered a good neighbor. It seems many Ecuadorains go out of their way to aid us. I can't relate enough how many times locals came to my aid, unsolicited. Especially with my total lack of Spanish skills. If you have a smile on your face, and are open, it seems for many, there is not enough they can do for you. I actually had a bus driver get off the bus when he saw I was having a problem with a taxi driver after I got off his bus. He not only related where I wanted to go, but negotiated my fare! ( I had been talking to him on the trip from another city on his bus )
If there is a local that can speak English, they absolutely LOVE to come to your aid, and assist you. I have always profusely expressed my appreciation in those situations, and you can just see the joy on their faces when they see they've helped.
They truly are a warm and welcoming people for the most part.
Best,
Neil

We live in a fairly large hacienda outside of Cuenca. If we were to sell, our asking price would be around $1 million so it's an expensive property as compared with our neighbors. We've been here almost 4 years and have never had a problem. Like anywhere in the world, it depends on where you locate and how the property is set up.

If Edd is referring to the people I think he is, the thieves took their gas cylinder(s) which cost around $50-60 and are easily sold as everyone uses them. Home invasions are extremely rare here. Petty theft is more common due to the economic extremes that exist.

Adding to what other posters have stated you may want to consider bars around windows. Always seems to be a tough concept for people who aren't used to seeing that to grasp, but is pretty common in many parts of the world, and if you can find a good metal work shop, and welder you can actually create something very secure and artistic. May want to consider not having many outside electric outlets, or at least try and have them somewhat hidden. Granted, most of the criminals are opportunistic, and looking for a quick score, but if one happens to have a little grinder, and easy outdoor access to power, well then do the math. Plenty of good outdoor lighting going off on different timers doesn't hurt. While personally am not enamered with alarm systems (think it gives a false sense of security in certain countries) nevertheless having a loud one should scare off curious people wanting to take a closer look. A gate around the perimiter will also help curious people from getting to close a look. Criminals are the same in Ecuador as anywhere else in the world. The majority are looking for an easy, and quick score. The tougher you make it the more likely they are to just go on to wherever their next target is, and for get about your property.

I would happy to correspond with you about life as a retired single woman in Cuenca, Ecuador.  I moved here in Jan. 2012 and, God willing, expect to live here until I die which I don't anticípate being anytime son since my mother just died this year at age 97 and her mother died at age 95 and I am only 71.

I sing (soprano) in a mixed SATB chorus of Cuencanos and expats that sings in English, Spanish, Latin and one song in Quechua (the indigenous language).  Great fun!

I also take drawing/painting lessons from a world-class illustrator whose talents uncovered my hidden inner artista!

Although I came down here to teach English at a large language institute, I now give private Spanish lessons in my home to other expats (it was my college major and I studied three summers in Mexico and one in Spain).

I live in the heart of the city -- just one block north of the main square, Parque Calderón and the iconic blue-domed catedral.

I fell my second week here and busted open my knee requiring surgery asd spending my first two months here in bed with a straight-leg cast.  However, that didn't dampen my enthusiasm for having arrived to live my dream of living in Latin America!
The medical service here is excellent and costs a small fraction of U.S. costs.  My entire experience including the initial ER visit, subsequent surgery, three nights hospitalization and three at-home visits from both my primary physician and the surgeon cost me $850.  A close friend of mine had to have galdbladder surgery and her bill was only $1,400. 

Dental care, too, is excellent and inexpensive.  Plus there is a robust alternative care clinic and community.  I am an active member of both the Cuenca Holistic Health Network and the Cuenca Writers' Group.

Cuenca is Ecuador's cultural center with six institutions of higher learning including a music conservatory.  It has an excellent orchestra and large artists'community.  The beauty is that most cultural activities are admission FREE!

The most important thing to bring with you is an open, accepting adventurous mind and letting go of any expectations that Ecuador will be a cheaper, older versión of the U.S.

I am a newbie here and just reading through some of the threads. So far I like what I am hearing. I went to a different forum and there seemed to be too much negativity there. I won't be able to retire for another 6 to 9 years but I am laying the ground work and doing my research. Right now Cuenca seems to be my focus, but that may change. It is so refreshing to see clear, concise and honest opinions that are not sugar coated. I can't wait for my adventure to begin. Does anyone have a rough idea of what a small loft apartment in downtown Cuenca might cost per month?

Furnished you'd probably be looking at around $300/month. Sit tight--in 6-9 years there will surely be a new "latest & greatest" place to retire.

Thanks Edd,
   I would like to shorten my time frame. I plan on an exploratory visit in the not too distant future. I need to see if I like the place first. Are jobs readily available there. I work in the IT field. Is there a good place to look for jobs? I know the wages are much lower but that is fine with me.

Okay, I found the jobs section. I need to get used to and learn the format here. Thanks for your help. A job would make moving there a little easier a little bit easier to do sooner. I have to get a visit set up soon.

greginky wrote:

Thanks Edd,
   I would like to shorten my time frame. I plan on an exploratory visit in the not too distant future. I need to see if I like the place first. Are jobs readily available there. I work in the IT field. Is there a good place to look for jobs? I know the wages are much lower but that is fine with me.

If you want to retire with a pensioner's visa, then you will not be allowed to work.  If you are arriving as an investor you must buy real estate or make some other investment, like a CD, worth at least $25,000.  If retiring, you need to have at least $800/month income plus $100 for each dependent.  This may change in the next 6-9 years.

Forget about finding a job here. Since you're in the IT field, your best bet would be to work remotely. Internet service is fine, and I know others who are continuing their employment in this way.

JR,
What a great, informative post.  To hear of your journey, I'm sure that many gals are appreciative of learning of you're experience. But as a single man, I enjoyed it also, and found it very informative.You are obviously one of those persons  that grabs life  by the horns, and is open to exploring all types of new adventures. You make me feel like a piker. You are an  inspiration!!!
Congratulations on your great life's journey. What a cool person you are!
Stay Well,
Neil

Hi , i have been reading the post, all interesting information i will be filing inside my brain for later use.
i am at the very beginning of my journey, scratching the surface to see what is out there. I am soon to be 58 and i still work but there is something greater than myself drawing me & my wife to Cuenca. Neither of us have ever been to South America before so this may sound strange to you that we are seriously considering it. I know it is a far cry from Michigan.
i am not sure how to go about everything,  but i am gathering information, i love to work. i could not see sitting idle so to come and "retire" is not in my head yet. I will be exploring for Jobs of all kinds, i am a man of many hats. I have worked in industrial shops the most part of my life, i have a hobby of working on cars and fixing everything. I know something will spark my interest.
I was wondering here on this thread, are there areas in Cuenca that are not safe to live or is it not like the USA where you have more crimes in one area verses another?
Thanks for your input
Jim.

JWW wrote:

Hi , i have been reading the post, all interesting information i will be filing inside my brain for later use.
i am at the very beginning of my journey, scratching the surface to see what is out there. I am soon to be 58 and i still work but there is something greater than myself drawing me & my wife to Cuenca. Neither of us have ever been to South America before so this may sound strange to you that we are seriously considering it. I know it is a far cry from Michigan.
i am not sure how to go about everything,  but i am gathering information, i love to work. i could not see sitting idle so to come and "retire" is not in my head yet. I will be exploring for Jobs of all kinds, i am a man of many hats. I have worked in industrial shops the most part of my life, i have a hobby of working on cars and fixing everything. I know something will spark my interest.
I was wondering here on this thread, are there areas in Cuenca that are not safe to live or is it not like the USA where you have more crimes in one area verses another?
Thanks for your input
Jim.

Like Edd said, forget about finding a job in EC, you will need at least $900/month in retirement income or a 25k investment. Since you need 4 more years to reach age 62 and start collecting SS benefits, you might want to keep an open mind about what may be best in 2019.

My opinion, is that violent crime is much lower in Ecuador than the US. The safer areas of Ecuador are extremely safe, the highest risk areas such as S Quito, Tulcan, Guayaquil, Lita, Esmeraldes are not quite as bad as the most dangerous cities and neighborhoods in the US. In the countryside it all comes down to who your neighbors are. Good neighbors make all the difference, and become almost part of the family if you've picked your location well. I have no experience with the Cuenca area, but I often travel in the areas that most folks here consider to be the most dangerous in Ecuador, and I have had a couple moments that could have gone bad, but nothing quick thinking can't fix, or an ounce of prevention couldn't have avoided in the first place.

Everything is always up for consideration, including early retirement. Thanks for your input .mugtech. i will work, i like to work and would even pick fruit or be a tourist guide. A man needs to do something at least a couple of times a week. LOL  Maybe a hobby would suffice, since my wife is my best friend.

Thanks for answering my question jessekimmerling. i thought that by what i have been reading in different places. i personally do not live in a high crime area. Our town is probably how you have described Cuenca. But i do not look different here, so there i would stand out; ounce of prevention is good advice.

Definitely consider a vacation of at least 3 weeks to a month. South America is not everyone's cup of tea and you should have no illusions before you make such a big move. While believing in something greater than yourself is admirable the realities of the expat life in Ecuador must be your prime consideration..

I would also think about volunteer work. It is a very poor country which is now undergoing political and economic instability. There are also thousands of Venezuelans trying to enter the country in search of work because of a terrible economic situation in their own country.

As far as research hope you are not reading International Living

Being a full time worker, guess volunteer work evaded me, good idea.

i have read International Living but not a lot. i prefer some grass roots searching. When we went on vacations to other countries we always got involved with the locals. it was far more enlightening. My wife still keeps in touch with some.

This is why i came here, i felt real info is worth more than glamour, besides we are not looking for paradise on earth. We are searching where we feel we could be a good fit and be a part of a community. So volunteer is a very good answer to my dilemma about working.

thanks suefrankdahl for the information about what is happening there. If you could point me in the direction of some grass root sites that i could read, i would appreciate it. I took Spanish in school but that has been awhile, to say the least. The picking it up gradually intrigues me about Cuenca.